KJ604's build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I forgot to keep taking pics of the front I will try to remember to take one when im finally able to put the new wheels on

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Looks much better

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What a difference lifted, very nice. Hope alignment goes well, post pics after.

Sorry BUT...I hope your next purchase may be some new tires, after viewing Wrangler SR-A on your passenger front...scary, worst tire ever.
You should also read your date codes how old are those tires?
56483[/ATTACH]"]

NBC Story: Link: Dangerous Tires: Aged Tires Linked to Auto Accidents Video - ABC News
The only good thing about Wrangler ST Or SRA's is that they can work well in the back yard as a...
56485[/ATTACH]"]

Tire Swing!

Attachments

• Tire%20Date%20Code.jpg
    Tire%20Date%20Code.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Tire%20Swing%20Lady.gif
    Tire%20Swing%20Lady.gif
    342.2 KB · Views: 0

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a difference lifted, very nice. Hope alignment goes well, post pics after.

Sorry BUT...I hope your next purchase may be some new tires, after viewing Wrangler SR-A on your passenger front...scary, worst tire ever.
You should also read your date codes how old are those tires?

NBC Story: Link: Dangerous Tires: Aged Tires Linked to Auto Accidents Video - ABC News
The only good thing about Wrangler ST Or SRA's is that they can work well in the back yard as a...

Tire Swing!

Thanks LibertyTC! New tires are purchased, mounted, and waiting patiently in the garage for an alignment.

Which isn't going to happen today either because I had to work late. Because that's the way things work. Will be done ASAP

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the alignment shop and the guy told me he can't fix the camber. He brought everything closer. The toe was fine in spec. The DS wheel is close on camber but the PS wheel still visibly leans outward. The guy told me the cam bolts are maxed out and there is nothing he can do. Won't be putting the new wheels on until I get a proper alignment.

The steering wheel is also off a good 10* driving straight. But it does drive straight. The toe was evenly split between the two wheels so shouldnt that center the steering wheel?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got back from the alignment shop and the guy told me he can't fix the camber. He brought everything closer. The toe was fine in spec. The DS wheel is close on camber but the PS wheel still visibly leans outward. The guy told me the cam bolts are maxed out and there is nothing he can do. Won't be putting the new wheels on until I get a proper alignment.

The steering wheel is also off a good 10* driving straight. But it does drive straight. The toe was evenly split between the two wheels so shouldnt that center the steering wheel?

Sounds like you need another alignment shop
what do you measure now in front?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So what is your fender flare to center of wheel measurement in front? Pre-alignment your KJ doesn't look too tall, and with JBA a-arms the alignment should be right at factory spec. Did you tell the tech to sacrifice caster to get the camber in spec?

As far as the steering wheel alignment... The toe can be perfectly in spec and the steering wheel can still be off center. The tech got lazy and didn't adjust each tie rod end to bring your wheel back to center. For example, if your steering wheel is turned to the right he should have turned the right tie end out and turned the left tie rod end in. You may need to look for another shop or take it back and demand they get it right.

Let us know those measurements :waytogo:

Bob

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read up for 5 mins on how to do the alignment and I already see one thing hes done wrong. The front cam bolt on the PS LCA is turned all the way inward. Shouldnt it be all the way outward? Like the DS one is?

i did tell the tech to not worry about caster. and he said "of course thats the last thing you worry about" so i thought he understood

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22.5 -ps
21.75 - ds

That's a lot of difference between the two sides but not all that unusual. You may consider taking out a conduit nut on the passenger side (if you're using any for a clevis lift.) That will bring you down to a 1/2" difference between the sides. Take out 2 and you're only 1/4" apart.

With the current 3/4" difference that will make it more challenging to bring the PS camber into spec but even at 22.5 you should be fine - I'm at 22 5/8" and the camber is in spec. Caster is slightly outside the factory numbers but only by 1/100th of a degree on the driver's side.

Do you have other alignment shop options?

Bob

Last edited:

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have other options. My plan now since it does drive straight is to drive it for a week or two and get everything settled in. Then I'll go to a different shop and get another.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I forgot to keep taking pics of the front I will try to remember to take one when im finally able to put the new wheels on

Careful. Those rear shocks are stock length. You're going to top them out with the extra insulators in there.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even after first alignment i had spring contact issues on PS front. Today I undid and then re-torqued the UCA bolts and it seems to have cleared up the issue

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so on the front now DS is 21.5 and PS is 22.375.

I have a .375 spacer on the clevis can I put more clevis spacing on the DS? Id like to get the drivers side up to 22" is this possible?

Latest posts

Members online