KJ lift limits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ lift limits VS other IFS vehicles

Just curious, but there is other vehicles out there that have IFS like Toyota and Chevy and it seems they are able to get quite a bit more lift vs the KJ just curious what the difference was are all these guys getting cut CV axles? Are they a different IFS set up?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just like women, not all IFS systems are made the same. depending on brand/make etc you have several different styles. But if you read close all are limited in one way or the other to how much lift and articulation you get.
But for the KJs we're not too bad , 3-4 inches of lift is nothing to complain about in most cases. Two of our limiting factors is the aluminum front diff and the size tires we can run.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm not complaining, I love my Jeep. Was just curious to see what the differences were seems like a lot of other IFS can get over 4inches easily, had my brain turning. I'm happy where my Jeep sits now at 22.25. I'd eventually like to get to 23.25 but will need JBA A Arms to get a good alignment and not have spring contact.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about this too. I look at F150's with huge lifts, and what not, but then realize they're not unibodies.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Really a KJ with 3-4" of lift is better off road than a truck with 6+" of lift. Unless it's a mud bog but other than that...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, but there is other vehicles out there that have IFS like Toyota and Chevy and it seems they are able to get quite a bit more lift vs the KJ just curious what the difference was are all these guys getting cut CV axles? Are they a different IFS set up?

I've thought about this too. I look at F150's with huge lifts, and what not, but then realize they're not unibodies.
Bigger market so more options.There bigger lifts for the F150's and fjlosers include a longer knuckles and sub frame drop mounts.They do not use cut CV's as they will drop the diff to get back to the stock CV axle angles.

Don't hold your breath for someone to make a longer knuckle for the KJ,one company did(superlift) but one set went on the Liberator show vehicle and the 2nd set,well who knows where they are but that is it and they totally scrapped the whole idea since there was no market for it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger market so more options.There bigger lifts for the F150's and fjlosers include a longer knuckles and sub frame drop mounts.They do not use cut CV's as they will drop the diff to get back to the stock CV axle angles.

Don't hold your breath for someone to make a longer knuckle for the KJ,one company did(superlift) but one set went on the Liberator show vehicle and the 2nd set,well who knows where they are but that is it and they totally scrapped the whole idea since there was no market for it.

My brother-in-law has a GMC 3500 diesel with a serious lift on it and the shop that did it for him did just what you said, Troy. The extended knuckle means no issue with the stock upper A-arm, they dropped the front diff so his CV's are nearly horizontal so he has never changed a CV or had an issue with spring contact, etc.

Course, when I go to Tennessee and we go to the elk observation areas (which are WAY BACK in the mountains - get there using old logging roads) the KJ has a far easier time on those trails than his truck. I always have a ****-eating grin on my face while he is struggling along :anitoof:

But he takes the prize when it comes to towing 12,000lb boats...

Bob

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wait, there is some small change that once the first gen Cherokee will be so rare people will start to look for KJ to mod. Maybe if this happen more option will come to market.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey I'm not complaining, I love my Jeep. Was just curious to see what the differences were seems like a lot of other IFS can get over 4inches easily, had my brain turning. I'm happy where my Jeep sits now at 22.25. I'd eventually like to get to 23.25 but will need JBA A Arms to get a good alignment and not have spring contact.

Ah, well at 23.25 you will have spring UCA contact even with JBA arms

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok, how can you know for sure? I thought all KJs were different and you wouldn't know until you got it installed. Somewhere around 23" I think I'd be alright maybe not exactly 23.25".

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh ok, how can you know for sure? I thought all KJs were different and you wouldn't know until you got it installed. Somewhere around 23" I think I'd be alright maybe not exactly 23.25".

After around 30 lifts...............having mine torn apart at least 45 times trying different combos etc then............
best is to stay at 22.5-22.75 and be happy, but
oh never mind go ahead and do it and then you'll know for sure