Intermediate shaft and cv.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
harsh, lol no i think i should be alright.

Now to just take it to the lift tomorrow...

Now if they do spin what should i do next?

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much, just a little. Unless you have zero muscle you should be able to spin one.

if you're not sure, take the caliper and pads off....that's how free it should be.
Then start over again and with everything on spin the wheel. It's normal to hear the pads rub a little tiny bit sometimes but there shouldn't be any pressure.

Does your Jeep move forward, in Drive, on its own from a dead stop when you let go the brake pedal without touching the gas pedal?

Take stuff apart tomorrow, stop worrying so much and get yer hands dirty. If you have any problems we (the forum) are open on Saturdays and Sundays, so come on board and ask more questions :smokin:

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have taken things apart, i took everything off to the Hub assembly got the 3 torx off the back of the hub but they didnt have the huge socket in.

So once i get that nut off then what do i do??

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better yet, when i have the Wheel bearing assembly off how do i remove the CV and intermidiate shaft and how do i check it to see if its worn?

Jake

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You don't need to remove the wheel bearing to remove the CV axle... :-s

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop out upper and lower ball joint as well as sway bar link. The spindle then will maneuver out of the way coming off the end if the cv shaft. Then all you have is the whole shaft staring at you saying "pull me out!". Keep the tierod connected or take it off too. I didn't and was able to move the spindle around fine and pull out the shaft assembly.

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, sp it seems like a pretty simple task. Now when its out i should be checking for it being rounded and rusted correct?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, sp it seems like a pretty simple task. Now when its out i should be checking for it being rounded and rusted correct?

Just pull it out and see if the intermediate shaft will even separate from the cv joint first. If they are rusted together, well there's your problem.

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright sounds easy enough!
Hopefully I get a weekend soon, this working 7 days a week thing is no fun at all lol

So when I have the whole CV shaft just staring at me how hard is it to remove? Am I going to have to pry it out or should it be somewhat simple?!

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

So the intermediate shaft goes into the actual axle housing and the cv connects to the intermediate shaft at the "big Cylinder thing"
Correct?

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now things are starting to make some sense! pictures speak a thousand words!!
hopefully i can get a chance to go to the auto hobby shop and remove it and send some pictures of what i find.

But first i have to make sure that its not coming from my brakes!

Latest posts

Members online