Intermediate shaft no longer sold nor made, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FATKAT750

Reaction score
Please, I need help. I have been needing to replace the intermediate shaft in a 07 Liberty for almost 2 years now. I am not sure if it’s due to COVID, but I can’t get my hands on one. I’ve tried crown, mopar, every off brand there is. Nothing listed on eBay and the local junk yards have ones worse that what’s on mine now. anything I find online will allow me to order and shows I can order, however just to get an email an hour later saying it’s no longer produced.
will the intermediate shafts from a 2008 and up fit?

2007 part number- 5066057ab
2008 and up- 68019326aa also seen 52114570ab

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just buy the full assembly with new CV joints as well? Loads on ebay.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I misunderstood you, the shafts are available on ebay as far as I can see though?
You must be registered for see images attach

FATKAT750

Reaction score
Tried that one you posted to. They don’t have them in hand. They order from crown and it’s a direct ship, and ive been on a waiting list for the crown axle for over a year.
Does the axle from a 08 and up work? I can’t find the specs online, but they look the same.

Plasterman5000

Reaction score
Please, I need help. I have been needing to replace the intermediate shaft in a 07 Liberty for almost 2 years now. I am not sure if it’s due to COVID, but I can’t get my hands on one. I’ve tried crown, mopar, every off brand there is. Nothing listed on eBay and the local junk yards have ones worse that what’s on mine now. anything I find online will allow me to order and shows I can order, however just to get an email an hour later saying it’s no longer produced.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems odd that they are all out of stock, it's avaliable in Europe but shipping is probably a fortune.
Surely they are available second hand? They can't all be wrecked, they spend most of their lives freewheeling!

scbison

Reaction score
Seems odd that they are all out of stock, it's avaliable in Europe but shipping is probably a fortune.
Surely they are available second hand? They can't all be wrecked, they spend most of their lives freewheeling!
Lots of them are available used. I think the OP was trying to source a new one.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did you check with Rockauto? or maybe used on Ebay?

Robochop

Robochop
Reaction score

Just call around town! There should be machine shops and axle repair places. I took mine to them and they rebuilt it for me and it cost less than the price of a new one. If you have any kind of mechanical skills you can get both of the ends on Ebay for about $80. I have done this method as well. Good Luck!

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking on rock auto tonight, Dana 84270 is in stock.

You must be registered for see images attach

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you know you need a new shaft? Trying to learn.
Typically, when the right side CV needs replacing, the intermediate shaft is replaced also. The reason is that if the splines are messed up between the intermediate shaft and the CV, then the bad splines on the old intermediate shaft will destroy the splines on the new CV (or vice-versa). I suppose you could remove the axle, separate the shaft from the CV, and examine the splines. But then you'd have to have the Jeep disassembled before ordering any parts.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically, when the right side CV needs replacing, the intermediate shaft is replaced also. The reason is that if the splines are messed up between the intermediate shaft and the CV, then the bad splines on the old intermediate shaft will destroy the splines on the new CV (or vice-versa). I suppose you could remove the axle, separate the shaft from the CV, and examine the splines. But then you'd have to have the Jeep disassembled before ordering any parts.
I'm tight, that's exactly what I do, clean and use spline grease on reassembly and they shouldn't see much wear. I use the same grease at work on crane pump and winch drives and they do thousands of hours without any sign of wear.