Dynomax ST Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Well .. after an exhaustive (sorry 'bout that) search of the interwebz and consulting with my trusted advisers in the Random Thoughts thread, I decided on the quietest muffler that Dynomax makes.

Rawr ....

You must be registered for see images attach

Chopped out the old junk just before (and after) the 1/4" restriction. Grinder with a cut off wheel... just like butter.

I had 3 or 4 small holes in the old muffler after 10 years... and it still wasn't really all that loud. Probably could have repaired it, for a while, but you know ;) any excuse to upgrade is a good one!

Just needed to make up for about 11 inches of missing pipe. Oh and if you don't know already... don't waste your time with the U style clamps. I had to try and sure enough wasted a half hour or so ...lol

First impressions ... I like!
There is no way I'm ever going to see a fuel economy benefit however.... I can't keep my foot off the skinny peddle.
She growls now, but so far, little to no drone. Certainly not any louder than my tires. ;) That said, you definitely know it's there and I could not imagine getting one that is significantly louder. :eek:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Didn't notice that rust until I took the pic ...lol. Just a little surface rust thankfully, wire wheel, good cleaning and rust paint ...

All better ...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I could have a system where you could swap mufflers at will.
That way when the AH neighbor fires up his lawnmower at 6 am, I can wait until 2 am and give him a KJ blast when I feel like it....LOL...
Nice Work Luke...where's the sound video demo..??
You old muffler looks like it went through the war and nice dent! (kinda looks like mine now)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aaaawwwww.......the old one had "character".....LOL

Looks good.

Dave

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I put the Magnaflow on mine and I liked it! Since most of the time clamped connections seem to leak, I decided to weld mine up reusing the front bolt on flange. My muffler is stainless steel, but they don't use the best grade. I made the mistake of not painting the muffler and now it's all rusty.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Welding is the next skill on my to-learn list!

Oh... and it sounds kinda like this Tim ... Raaaawr!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Update: I found out where Dynomax hid the extra horsepower ;)

Took it on the highway for the first time today ... very nice. She was ready to pull like I remember, fewer downshifts and spots where I usually have to lock out OD made it up in 4th! Not too shabby.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I found out where Dynomax hid the extra horsepower . So you found the decals in the box did ya. LOL looks like a sweet set up.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok Luke It must sound good & flow better how much louder is it over stock? :shrug:
I like that you can make it up hills in 4th without a downshift hunting game. :gr_grin:
I am not sure what is more rusted my muffler or drive shaft?
49792[/ATTACH]"]

:thumbsdown:

Attachments

• JeepMuffler.jpg
    JeepMuffler.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Chopped out the old junk just before (and after) the 1/4" restriction. Grinder with a cut off wheel... just like butter. "

where is the restriction you are talking about, will take a look. sounds like it is after the muffler? i plan to re-use the flange too and weld my new thrush to it.

Last edited:

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Luke It must sound good & flow better how much louder is it over stock? :shrug:
I like that you can make it up hills in 4th without a downshift hunting game. :gr_grin:
I am not sure what is more rusted my muffler or drive shaft?
[ATTACH=full]49835[/ATTACH]
:thumbsdown:
Wow, sure glad we don't have to worry about rust like that down this way. You basically gotta leave something unpainted for a week or 2 just to get a few surface spots.

Luke, glad you like the dynomax. I liked the one I had on my tj. Those clamps seal pretty well? I almost used them on my Cobra, but was somewhat skeptical about them

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Wow, sure glad we don't have to worry about rust like that down this way. You basically gotta leave something unpainted for a week or 2 just to get a few surface spots.

Luke, glad you like the dynomax. I liked the one I had on my tj. Those clamps seal pretty well? I almost used them on my Cobra, but was somewhat skeptical about them

Those clamps are great! I just put an complete cat back Dynomax system on my Ranger with the Ultra Flo Welded muffler and it went on like a dream compared to those old U clamps. Checked it after a couple trips and after a couple months and stayed nice and tight. They will actually allow for the pipes to be separated if you need to since they don't distort the tubing.

Sounds great too on the 4.0 OHV.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I've heard many a good sounding 4.0 ohv in my days. People always think they would never needed to separate their pipes, but I've had a handful of times it would have been helpful. I always change exhaust setups like underwear, so I might give those a try on the kj

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
They do work well ... but I still had a few tiny puffs of exhaust coming out. I tightened them to spec and didn't want to over tighten.
So... I used a tiny bead of high heat JBWeld.... remarked to my wife how I was using my kindergarten skills - making long thin snakes of Plasticine. I wrapped it around the joint then reinstalled the clamps .. perfect.

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just put a dynomax ST on mine after dealing with a terrible drone using a Thrush Welded. The dynomax is SOOOOOOO much better. I little louder than stock, as in you can hear it, but not annoying...hopefully it stays that way.

And +1 on those band clamps...the stupid u-clamps distort the pipes to a point where you practically permanently join pipes together...stupid

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I just had an exhaustive search...trying to find the DynoMax part number for the KJ Luke. :icon_lol:
I think I found it..I had to double your photo to 200 % and then searched Site....
Found it #17748!!..
Link: Super Turbo
Why do I get the feeling I am going to drive.gif to a muffler shop soon?
Where did u buy yours and how much $ was it?

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Bought it from Autopartsway.ca Tim ... $80

It is not a direct bolt on for the KJ. The pipe diameter before and after the muffler is only 2 1/4" ... get rid of that restriction and it fits.

Latest posts

Members online