How To: Change front driveshaft / change a driveshaft head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I checked everything. No packet. The guy at the auto parts store guided me to this when I asked for CV Joint grease

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy (idiot) could have just as easily steered you to the right stuff, CV joint grease. What you got is a plain lithium based grease, read what it's made for. CV joint grease is a lithium/moly (molybdendum disulfide). Moly has extra anti wear properties that you want for the CV joints.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why you do research first on what you need to use, then go to the parts store to tell them what you want. You do not go to a parts store asking for advice, unless you happen to use one where someone behind the counter actually knows what the hell they're talking about, which is a rarity. "Uhhhh yeah, that should work I guess"!

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why you do research first on what you need to use, then go to the parts store to tell them what you want. You do not go to a parts store asking for advice, unless you happen to use one where someone behind the counter actually knows what the hell they're talking about, which is a rarity. "Uhhhh yeah, that should work I guess"!

I didn't expect I would need the grease. It was supposed to be in the kit. I walked around the parts store for 49 minutes trying to find the CV Grease with no luck so my last option was asking the dude. I figured maybe it had another name or was in an odd package I overlooked.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
49 minutes? lol. So, where did you end up getting the CV grease from, a better store? ;)

Well it felt like 49 minutes lol actually got it from the same place. I went back and talked to someone else. They had a large packet in the back he gave me. Said the other guy was new and it was his fault for not showing him where everything was.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On one you are not going to reuse a flat head screw driver and a hammer works great. If you are just inspecting I think the same method but very carefully not to bend anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you take the top plate off?

If you are replacing the entire piece just make short work of it and tear it out. That's what I did with some needle nose pliers and a flat screw driver.

Here's how mine looked after. Crap pic, was hard to get my crappy phone to focus in the basement.

You must be registered for see images attach

wifesjeep

Reaction score
Ok so I don't need a 400.00 driveshaft. Willing to replace the ends.I've read the installment.have theshaft onthe table, first question; how do ya get the end cap off, to get to the snap ring?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I don't need a 400.00 driveshaft. Willing to replace the ends.I've read the installment.have theshaft onthe table, first question; how do ya get the end cap off, to get to the snap ring?

It was just stated above how to do that. Force

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are ya'll doing w/ your old CV joint?

Getting it ready for the next replacement?
I would think one could clean it up and purchase a boot kit in the future instead like so
Compare GROM Car Audio Integration Kits
Thoughts?

Any CV that got dirt/grime/whatever in it is going to really be trash unless you are able to completely disassemble it and remove/replace everything which would cost probably more than a new one. It's worn anyways so basically trash.