How To: Change front driveshaft / change a driveshaft head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it off. Yup, just needed a bigger hammer. :D

Now to throw the DS back in the heep. It has been out for at least 6 months. Sure gonna be nice to have 4WD again!

Alan03kj

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I knew my front driveshaft transfer case CV joint was going bad, last night driving home I heard more noise than usual. Found this when I looked under jeep. Took 1 hr to pull driveshaft out. I have the replacement CV joint waiting to install just need to catch some free time.

Alan03kj

Reaction score
While I had the shaft out I pulled apart the differential end and cleaned and re packed the joint. I went with a 2/3 gear puller as the beating it with a hammer wasn't working as efficiently as I would had liked. Reassembling the differential end CV joint was a real PITA. The shaft went in easier than it came out. The new transfer case CV joint had 6mm cap bolts instead of the 8mm bolts hopefully if I ever need to do this again it will be easier to disassemble.

You must be registered for see images

This is the inside of the failed joint. It was waiting to fail catastrophically.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!! That was in bad shape - good thing you changed it when you did. Good job! :waytogo:

Bob

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add mine to the list of dead cv ends.
You must be registered for see images attach

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My kit didnt come with a crimp clamp. It came with a pull strap type clamp. It sucked. I ended up pulling it off and putting a wide zip tie on it for now. Any ideas what I can do now? Would a regular hose clamp work, I remember reading here or on lost that somebody used one?

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used the that included pull strap type clamp the best that I could with a zip tie over it.
I'm sure a hose clamp would work.

L3iGH

Reaction score
Which tires need to be off the ground for the driveshaft to spin by hand, the front or rear? I have my front tires on ramps, lifted the rear (with jack stands) just enough to clear the ground and spin the tires by hand while in neutral, but still can't seem to get the driveshaft to spin. If I was able to I'd reverse this setup so that the front tires are off the ground but that's not an easy option at this point. So just trying to confirm before I go through the process.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which tires need to be off the ground for the driveshaft to spin by hand, the front or rear? I have my front tires on ramps, lifted the rear (with jack stands) just enough to clear the ground and spin the tires by hand while in neutral, but still can't seem to get the driveshaft to spin. If I was able to I'd reverse this setup so that the front tires are off the ground but that's not an easy option at this point. So just trying to confirm before I go through the process.
Front driveshaft. Front tires.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my front tires on ramps, lifted the rear (with jack stands) just enough to clear the ground ....

I learned many years ago that's not a good thing to do. As soon as the rear tires got off the ground, my Camaro rolled down the ramps and went halfway through the garage door. Luckily I wasn't between the car and door, could have been much worse.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So, I recently rebuilt my DS cv transfer case side, and I noticed that distinct tin can rattle sound again. I look under there and saw cv joint grease splattered in a perfect line around that end. I took it off and found this. The bolts on that side of the shaft were very loose. Not sure how they got that way as I KNOW I tighened them down. I took the lid off and the joint looks ok, still had grease inside. I found that i had used two gaskets on that side? Didnt separate them I guess when I put it together originally. The side with no gasket seemed to have not leaked at all.

I'm gonna re-grease it and put it back in with only one gasket on that side, leaving the other one the way it is. I'm gonna tighten it and recheck it a few days later to make sure it's still torqued. Should have done this in the beginning....

Latest posts

Members online