How To: Change front driveshaft / change a driveshaft head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers.
I got the new cv head put together and put the drive shaft back in. Wife took it for a test drive and no more vibration, she's happy.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Slinging Grease

Replaced my Tcase side CV joint with the ME807 kit about 2 months ago. Original boot was torn. Just crawled under today and noticed it appears to be slinging grease. Seemed okay about a month ago when doing an oil change. I've read through this entire thread again and it appears I've done things correctly. One gasket on the cap side and everything torqued to spec. I thought the one gasket thing was odd but assembled the pieces in the same order as the factory one and it was okay for awhile. Plan on checking the torque and/or pulling it tomorrow but has anyone heard of this happening.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing, it wasn't a lot though... pulled it... still lots of clean grease inside. Wiped down the undercarriage so I can check again in a few weeks. :shrug:

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. Seemed like quite a bit flew out of mine but I wiped it down too. I'll check in a few days and see if it stops too. I did think the amount of grease provided was excessive and I really packed mine. Probably just being paranoid but can't be worse than the one I replaced.

PatriotBlue

Reaction score
Just did mine. One thing that caught me off guard was how much the flanges rusted while the shaft was out (over a year) and it didn't even see any salt or snow. Had to wire wheel them smooth and run the bolts through before installation.
The one gasket thing is very odd. Seems it should be on the down side if at all. I'll check for slung grease if I can get back under there this winter. I'm in IL now. Need to do the rear shaft now. It's tight but has 220k miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my driveshaft, I replaced both the front and rear CV joint. I find it interesting to see so many guys replacing only the one CV joint, even though they both have the same amount of miles on them. Ok, so the rear one tends to go out first due to having a torn boot, but do you really want to do this job again if and when the front one fails? Do em both while it's apart and on the bench.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my driveshaft, I replaced both the front and rear CV joint. I find it interesting to see so many guys replacing only the one CV joint, even though they both have the same amount of miles on them. Ok, so the rear one tends to go out first due to having a torn boot, but do you really want to do this job again if and when the front one fails? Do em both while it's apart and on the bench.

Yes because it only takes 10 minutes (12 bolts...) to take the driveshaft out. The rest to get the front joint is just extra time.

This has been verified by my T-case end failing twice while my dif end failed 0 (knock on wood) times.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying the replacement one failed before it's time, or that your car has well over 200k miles on it and the joint died of natural causes?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is very common for the transfer case end to fail, but I've never once heard of the diff end failing on any Liberty.

WWDiesel

Reaction score
Replaced the transfer case end CV joint a few weeks back. It had a busted boot and the ball cage was busted. To be on the safe side, I crimped both the new caps back on the new CV joint just like factory was and used silicone sealer on both caps and the new gasket, along with blue locktite on threads. Sealing everything up good and tight keeps the new grease in and clean, and it most importantly keeps dirt, grit, and muddy water out! :happy107:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is very common for the transfer case end to fail, but I've never once heard of the diff end failing on any Liberty.

When I did mine, I had 128k miles on the odometer. My CV joint wasn't failed nor did it have a torn boot. The shaft just had a little slop and I was tracking down a front end vibration. To me, it makes more sense to just rebuild both ends since it's already all apart. Same as doing a brake job. I'm not going to do only one side if only side is worn down and the other side isn't quite yet. Oh, and not failed (yet) doesn't mean there isn't any wear on the joint.

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had the same thinking when I replaced mine but the guys here told me not to worry about the diff end so I took their word for it. If it ever does go bad it's not difficult to pull the drive shaft. I don't even need to Jack up the jeep to get to it.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it's not that hard, just easier doing at the same time. Maybe that's just me though. Considering the miles mine had on it, I'd rather replace the other joint while I'm at it instead of waiting for it to go bad.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I would agree with you if it was a hassle to remove... or as in your case if I was chasing a noise or vibe. It's much easier on the bank account however... to only fix what is broken. ;)

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of grease should I use? I just got mine from Driveshaftparts.com and they didn't include a packet of grease to use. Want to make sure I buy the right kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online