How To: Change front driveshaft / change a driveshaft head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed... Sorry to tell ya that but the rebuild kit you got just doesn't fit right.

odonekanobe

Reaction score
Well I got it on. It was not easy. I ended up using another members method of getting longer bolts and forcing it in. I agree with you guys, I think the cap was too small and it was poor quality control. Had I known I would gladly have paid more for a quality piece that I didn't have to spend hours making it work.

So hopefully somebody reads this before they purchase and will avoid the eBay CV joint for $58. Thanks again everyone for the help.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Getting ready to this...got a few questions.
1. The joint itself (the part with the ball bearings in it), which way does it go in? There's a skinny groove on one end and wider groove on the other end.
2. My kit came with a gasket...where does that go?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've done mine, but IIRC the wider groove goes toward the outside of the shaft, and the gasket goes between the CV and the cap. Maybe someone else can confirm?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...by outside of the shaft do you mean the wider groove should be towards the tcase?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has it correct! :happy160:

Picture shows outside (to tcase) with the groove for the gasket.

Attachments

• IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 93

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So I thought I'd post a few tips while they are fresh in my mind!

1. To make bolts easier to access (so you don't need lots of extensions or flex joints) have someone put the Jeep in neutral and push it while you watch under so you know when it's turned enough). Actually used that method for almost everything.

2. PB blaster on the front end of it.

3. If stuff seeps out when you go to remove the front end of the shaft, that's ok, it's not diff fluid probably, not from the diff since it's sealed off.

This new CV fixed a roaring noise I had in 4WD for a few years and obviously more issues like the clicking and ratcheting. Also fixed a rubbing noise too. So if you have strange noises in 4WD, this is something to check.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I thought I'd post a few tips while they are fresh in my mind!

1. To make bolts easier to access (so you don't need lots of extensions or flex joints) have someone put the Jeep in neutral and push it while you watch under so you know when it's turned enough). Actually used that method for almost everything.

2. PB blaster on the front end of it.

3. If stuff seeps out when you go to remove the front end of the shaft, that's ok, it's not diff fluid probably, not from the diff since it's sealed off.

This new CV fixed a roaring noise I had in 4WD for a few years and obviously more issues like the clicking and ratcheting. Also fixed a rubbing noise too. So if you have strange noises in 4WD, this is something to check.

Or you could have lifted a front wheel off the ground and turned it. That would have been the same effect!

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the front driveshaft out of our 02 because the rubber boot is gone. Going to look for another one tomorrow.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my new CV head and I'm going to install it tomorrow. The instructions say to use sealant on the caps.
Did anyone use sealant on their caps?
If so, what kind?
And what about loctite on the bolts?

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it on amazon, it's a Dorman. It has a gasket for the end cap only and the instructions say to use sealant on both caps.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me and 1BadKJ used the gasket on one side and black RTV on the other. I'm sure you're fine without though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have done several and never used loctite or any sealers etc
never have had any issues on any of them