How To: Change front driveshaft / change a driveshaft head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so when I try to get the bolts out the shaft keeps spinning. How should I go to get em out?

EDIT: Nvm I got em. Just gonna wait till later in the day when the sun isn't out. I'm sweating so much I could fill a pool!

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so when I try to get the bolts out the shaft keeps spinning. How should I go to get em out?

EDIT: Nvm I got em. Just gonna wait till later in the day when the sun isn't out. I'm sweating so much I could fill a pool!

Probably found out that one or both of the front wheels have to be still? (I only had 1 wheel off the ground when I did mine, driver's side.)

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably found out that one or both of the front wheels have to be still? (I only had 1 wheel off the ground when I did mine, driver's side.)

I had em all on the ground I just didn't turn it all the way to the stop :doh2:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok now how the hell do I get this dhaft out. I've been smacking it with a hammer and pulling and tugging and it won't move. I'm a little more then agitated at the moment any quick responses will be greatly appreciated

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the biggest wrench I have, 1-1/8", and pried against the ****** crossmember. It popped after a little bit.

For the diff end, I used a bfh and tapped, turned, tapped, turned, tapped, turned....after the 6th or 7th it came loose.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
^^^ what she said

... if you pry towards the front (on the end of the shaft) .. pop the T case side out first and let it go up and right (above the Tcase)... the front will pop out easier... watch your whatever is under it!

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No pry. Tap on the side of the driveshaft head with the bfh, from the front to the rear (tap sorta pushing to the rear). Turn the driveshaft (I turned the rotor since my wheel was off, but turn the wheel otherwise) and tap, turn and tap, ad infinitum. It will come loose. I sprayed some PB Blaster around the join area since I was pretty sure there would be rust (and there was).

odonekanobe

Reaction score
I am new to this forum, first post actually. But I have been viewing as a guest for a bit now. Really appreciate the good tech.

I pulled the front driveshaft a while back to replace the rear joint. Used this thread as a how-to and it all went smoothly. Until I went to reinstall the shaft. The joint will not fit in the yoke of the transfer case. I think it is mostly due to the cap. When I installed the new joint the cap did not fit well over the joint so I used some bolts and nuts to pull it down. I'm thinking that caused the issue.

So what do I do now? Are the caps suppose to fit over the "head" of the joint? I only did that because that is how the old cap was. I spent hours yesterday trying to get the dang thing installed. Really frustrating!

Vehicle is an '02 3.7. I purchased the joint on eBay.

Thanks in advance for any help!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well first off welcome! There should be one cap on the side of the T-case. It bulges out and has a small hole in the middle. BlueKJ is holding it above. This fits quite snug. I had to wrench it on with the bolts that hold it all together. Could you please provide a picture or two of the joint? I am having a hard time picturing the problem.

odonekanobe

Reaction score
Ok well first off welcome! There should be one cap on the side of the T-case. It bulges out and has a small hole in the middle. BlueKJ is holding it above. This fits quite snug. I had to wrench it on with the bolts that hold it all together. Could you please provide a picture or two of the joint? I am having a hard time picturing the problem.

I am at work and will post some pictures when I get home. I had to do the same procedure as you, wrench it on and it bulged out as well. Near as I can figure it's the bulging of the cap that is giving me grief. I spent so much time yesterday fighting it.

Thanks for the help and warm welcome.

odonekanobe

Reaction score
Ok. Long day at work, but here are some cell phone pics. What do you guys think? I can see it bulging out, but how else would it go?

You must be registered for see images attach

odonekanobe

Reaction score
It seems to me that the cap is too small to fit over the head of the joint. I just looked at the eBay site and the picture shows it fitting over. What does everyone think?