How long will a typical Jeep Liberty engine last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there I just brought an 06 Jeep Liberty. I fell in love with it as soon as I took it for a test drive. I was just wondering how long the 3.7L engine will last with routine oil changes? Has anyone out there ever had any major problems with the engine?

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Some people here claim to have 137K+ miles on theirs. The only issues I heap (read) people squawk about is the rings on the pistons are higher than normal, for better cylinder wall lubrication. This makes supercharging a little iffy, but there used to be one for it. Some have said they have major oil sludge problems, but I use synthetic, so that won't be a big issue.

I saw a legal fight with Chrysler, in 2007, because the dealer would not honor the extended powertrain warranty after the engine failed on the guy, because they had no proof the oil changes were done. The dealer said, that they removed the valve cover and found abnormal amounts of oil sludge, which caused the engine to fail. I see it build up right at the fill neck, in the piece you pull out to fill 'er up... The 3.7 had some chages done to it around 2005? Dunno really... People who have had them longer, would know.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good at 42k. :D

Being realistic, if you take care of it, never over heat it, and keep the oil changed I would expect more than 150k at least. Only weak point that seems to be common is the valve springs. Hard to tell when they may go. If Im able at 100k I may get my heads rebuilt just incase.

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just broke 100,000 this past week. ive got the little 2.4 engine though, but i did have the timing chain snap on me (cue sad face)

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
besides regular maint. also make sure in the winter that you always let it reach operating temperature before shutting it off (if you only drive a couple miles to work, let it warm up) if you don't, you build up condensation inside which will result in foamy oil and poor lubricating, and possibly rust too... or a valve frozen open (happened on a friends Chevy)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going strong at 77k... No engine problems yet.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Forever, seems like. Only real weak point is, as mentioned, the valve springs. There have been a few reports of them failing but other than that.....

There's several examples of 3.7s out there with 200k+ with... well... oil changes.

My sister's has never been opened and has 65k on it.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
140k on ThunderbirdJunkie's, CD03KJ has like 150+ on his, tommudd has around 140 on his.

just broke 100,000 this past week. ive got the little 2.4 engine though, but i did have the timing chain snap on me (cue sad face)

That's a timing belt that's due for replacement at 75k miles ITBJRC.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
140k on ThunderbirdJunkie's, CD03KJ has like 150+ on his, tommudd has around 140 on his.

That's a timing belt that's due for replacement at 75k miles ITBJRC.

See in Ohio we drive ours a lot and also take care of them so they last a long time!!!:D

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say that the motor in the KJ will last as long as you want it to. I.E. you take care of the KJ and it will return the favor by giving you plenty of trouble free miles. The valve springs are the weak spot for sure... Most reported issues happen after the 100K mile mark but not every KJ engine has a valve spring failure.

There are a few of us on this board that have had their KJ's for over 7 or 8 years now with no major failures and very much enjoy our vehicles year round. In fact, even if something major happens to mine, I'll probably repair and keep it on the road until the body is shot.

On the 2006 you will need to watch the window regulators. The factory original units are prone to failure due to a weak design. There is a fix available but it'll cost you for each window.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I got 66660.1 on mine (right now), though got it in May with about 58K on it, are on my 2nd synthetic oil change. Long trip to Missouri and back in August, so I changed it when I got back. Yep, I put that many miles on it in about 5 months... I do a LOT of driving... I put about 25K a yeah on my POV, and almost that on my company car, nice tax write off.. I have 37454 on my '08 Vibe, bought that new. Over 13K on my Boulevard C50T, got that new in May '07. 'Tis what it is when you have a successful business, and got to drive a lot...

Nice to see people with MANY miles, gives ya some hope, as long as the person BEFORE you, didn't abuse it...

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
105,000. The engine on my ’03 has been rock solid, nothing major, but the accessories however... Had the water pump go out on it around 85,000 and the A/C compressor clutch died earlier this summer.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Oh wait I KNOW of a KJ that's got a ton of miles on it! I forgot about my friend's!

She's got 167K, and climbing right along with me because we both commute to school every day! Runs just as good as mine with 28k. Sounds perfect.

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 196,000 on my ol girl! She runs strong, but just popped a head gasket which is to be expected. The problem is most of the time on the 3.7 if you get it hot you will crack the head (common on alot of engines, but especially the 3.7) I love my liberty and it has been a great vehicle so rather than replacing the head on a motor with 196k miles on it I am dropping a salvage yard engine with 75k on it in. In all reality my engine would keep going. The 3.7 V6 is a great engine. You take care of it and it will take care of you! Keep the oil clean and you will be good!

Latest posts

Members online