Hello's from Rosamond- Dash Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Sannes

Reaction score
I just bought a used Liberty 2002. I got a used 1992 XJ in about 1999. I bought a crapped out 1996 ZJ in about 2002. I though the Liberty was kinda cheap, but nowdays with everything FWD - and I did want to get another Jeep, I found a Dark Green KJ Limited, Selec-Trac, V-6 with 120,000 miles on it.
Vents don't work - someone ripped out the vacuum line so that dash has to come out.
A/C isn't working correctly, but it seems to drive well and shift fine.
1. Fix vacuum line (remove the dash) - see if I can make a custom vacuum line
2. Replace rear drum brakes (no disc, no ABS), I'' replace the shoes
3. Replace rear axle seals - might replace the bearing if I'm in there.
4. OME lift, replace the coils, shocks, upper control arms
5. Replace door speakers, Install a DD with a touch screen, and a Backup camera

I really liked driving it home and it's very comfortable. So, I replaced the lug nuts (where the caps fall off), Next is the dash.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
With 120,000 miles on it suspension has been shot for at least 60,000 miles
You are heading in the right direction with the OME springs
use either OME shocks or Bilstein with the correct rear shocks
Replace the bearings if you are in the rear diff, little more time and money but worth it

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome. Sound like some work ahead.. best-o luck.
Also consider replacing all the fluids If no exact history provided..
Everything from Hoat coolant to transmission ATF+4/filter, transfer case, front diff, power steering, etc.
Refer to owners manual for fluid specs. Did you find in glove box slot the owners manual , hopefully you have that.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, I have an Export 2002 CRD Manual, Command Trac and 4.10 Trac Loc at the rear.

Likewise I have drum brakes at the rear and no ABS!:(

Download the 2002 Jeep KJ Service Manuals here and pay attention to using the correct fluids listed there!

The very early 2002 KJs came out with clear fluid...Power Steering Fluid...in the power steering. A FSB came out to have the fluid drained and replaced with red ATF +4 fluid...the two must not be mixed...I have kept the original clear Mopar Power Steering Fluid.

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

John Sannes

Reaction score
My Liberty didn't come with the owners manual, but I did get one off of E-bay.
Yeah, as soon as I can get the dash vent fixed, I was planning on replacing all the fluid. It says that they were done at about 80,000 or 90,000 but I'd rather know that they are all fresh. Best wishes

John Sannes

Reaction score
According to CarFax, my power steering fluid has already been flushed (or at least a suck and refill), but I will have to look at that. I can't remember what month my KJ was built. Do you have a month date for me to know what fluid was what, or should I just stick with what the owners manual says - the manual that I don't have yet.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My Liberty didn't come with the owners manual, but I did get one off of E-bay.
Yeah, as soon as I can get the dash vent fixed, I was planning on replacing all the fluid. It says that they were done at about 80,000 or 90,000 but I'd rather know that they are all fresh. Best wishes

Did you look in the secret slot for your owners manual ?

I never trust anyone on flushes/ changes etc Had all service records on the 03 but some dumba** put plats in , of course one of my talking points to get price down, due to rough idle
On it for example I bought it, brought it home and tore in
all fluids changed, new spark plugs , NGK coppers of course, shift kit in ******, full leather interior from 03 Limited , JBA coilover lift, 4.10 gears, Moabs, new tires , then it was almost ready 2 days later LOL
The 04 I bought new so its been a continuation over the years;)
My step son had just arrived from Tanzania, he thought I was crazy and it would never run again

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If the power steering fluid is reddish it will be ATF+4. If it is clear it will be regular power steering fluid.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stayed with the Mopar Power Steering fluid on my 2002 CRD as I did not trust the Dealers here to be intelligent enough to drain, flush and replace the fluid correctly.

Every so often I take a large syringe and suck out as much fluid from the reservoir and then top it up with the correct fluid.
The fluid starts out as a very clear fluid which then darkens a bit as it ages.;)

John Sannes

Reaction score
If the power steering fluid is reddish it will be ATF+4. If it is clear it will be regular power steering fluid.
Thank you for the clarification, I was unsure of what you meant by clear fluid. Unfortunately for me, the fluid has already been changed - so I don't know what was in it initially.

John Sannes

Reaction score
I did look for the owners manual above the glove box, but no luck.
The vents don't work, so I'm taking the dash out, I thought I might actually do a little video of each of the things I'm doing. I suppose if I sell, they will have some idea what I was doing. If I keep the Liberty long term, it'll just be to show people what I'm doing.

John Sannes

Reaction score
I haven't posted for a while since I've been working on the Jeep.

Replaced the outer rear wheel bearings and axle seals, rear brakes shoes and hardware, blower motor and the blower motor resistor. I pulled the dash out and replaced the vacuum line that had been broken (funny the e-bay seller said that he was about to throw the vacuum line in the trash right before I bought it - guess it had been for sale for a long time.) Put the dash back on, had to buy many screws and bolts as so many were missing from the previous tech apparently threw them away.

Vents work, cruise control works, A/C is a little weak.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thank you for all the helpful hints that others have thrown my way.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, good work to say the least. The dreaded dash removal & repair is no fun at all. Congrats ! :)

John Sannes

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words. I was not really happy on the way home when I realized that the vent system didn't work, but the Jeep is - overall - in pretty good shape.
Happy holidays

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Eek still doesn't work..oh my. Repeat as necessary, not my idea of fun either.
Happy Holidays to you as well. I'm fairly confident you will get it sorted out in the New Year.. ;)

John Sannes

Reaction score
No, it does work now - thank goodness - I meant when I drove it home from the used car monger, I realized that I was in for a bit of a job. Everything is good now. So, like starting from zero now. Next up the OME life comes, but it's cold - even here in So. Cal - it was 27°F - I know, not snow weather, but I don't really wanna rip the front end off at that temp. I'll just drive and enjoy for the time being.

John Sannes

Reaction score
So, my OME lift came from Rocky Road Outfitters and they forgot to include my upper control arms. That was disappointing.
so, I did decide to go ahead and install the rear coils and shocks....... why is everything I touch on this Jeep either missing or loose? It looks like the rear shocks are not original - but it's been a while since anyone was in here. Lower bolt, very tight, upper mount well, not really.

So, I noticed that the rack is loose. It shifts left/right when you go off centre. Bummer. Looks like I'm going to have to remove the rack to replace the bushings. So, I'm just gonna replace the rack and the power steering pump. I am wondering if there's a way to protect that bushing from leaks better.

I installed a stock radio from e-bay that has a Aux jack in it. I've decided that after hearing some of the people who installed the double DIN kits that this is not really the way I wanna go.

I don't know who's gonna read this but I have the Eight-Mile Lake spring compressor and that thing is a super-cool tool. No muss, no fuss, spring gets compressed - Boom - coil is out. No fighting, it's completely worth the money I paid for it - Chinese or not.

I replaced the front headlights, and of course someone used an impact on one light and stripped the cheapo plastic. I'll have to thank that person for doing that.

I bought a set of aftermarket DRL's since the OE headlights are not so bright and we have a couple of minor highways that require headlights on, we'll have to see how that goes.

Best Wishes
John

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my OME lift came from Rocky Road Outfitters and they forgot to include my upper control arms. That was disappointing.
so, I did decide to go ahead and install the rear coils and shocks....... why is everything I touch on this Jeep either missing or loose? It looks like the rear shocks are not original - but it's been a while since anyone was in here. Lower bolt, very tight, upper mount well, not really.

So, I noticed that the rack is loose. It shifts left/right when you go off centre. Bummer. Looks like I'm going to have to remove the rack to replace the bushings. So, I'm just gonna replace the rack and the power steering pump. I am wondering if there's a way to protect that bushing from leaks better.

I installed a stock radio from e-bay that has a Aux jack in it. I've decided that after hearing some of the people who installed the double DIN kits that this is not really the way I wanna go.

I don't know who's gonna read this but I have the Eight-Mile Lake spring compressor and that thing is a super-cool tool. No muss, no fuss, spring gets compressed - Boom - coil is out. No fighting, it's completely worth the money I paid for it - Chinese or not.

I replaced the front headlights, and of course someone used an impact on one light and stripped the cheapo plastic. I'll have to thank that person for doing that.

I bought a set of aftermarket DRL's since the OE headlights are not so bright and we have a couple of minor highways that require headlights on, we'll have to see how that goes.

Best Wishes
John

john:

there are a couple of threads on here about replacing the stock bushings with poly ones.

https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/poly-rack-bushing-for-kj.59236/

Here is the first one I found.