Poly Rack Bushing for KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
After inspection, here we go again 4 years later, time for a new driver's side steering rack bushing. :favorites68:
I checked energy suspension, no polyurethane for the KJ there.
Question-Does anyone know who makes a polyurethane rack bushing for the KJ..
Last time I used the Napa ...
54502[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Sure did not last that long.

Attachments

• NapaSteeringBushing.jpg
    NapaSteeringBushing.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good Question well...
Front may do a slight dance probably cause the rubber is split and jiggling around a bit..
Click on image to see video:
"]
[/URL]

Personally I`d rather have this rack jiggle going on! :gr_grin:
54506[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• car%20wash%20boobs.gif
    car%20wash%20boobs.gif
    493.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta a feeling mine is bad as well. Seeing as how when i do tight turns occasionally you'll hear a bang. Either that or tie rods

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you go about replacing them?

4x4Kayak says that if you unbolt the rack, knock out the outer tie rod end ball joints, and push both tires toe in, then the rack will lift enough for the bushing to slide out.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LibertyTC,

I cross referenced that part number on the Napa box from your first pic. I pulled it up as well as vehicle fitment list and it fits several year models of dodge dakotas and durangos. Looks like Chrysler didn't want to design a new steering rack. I used a 2003 Dodge dakota sport 4x4 as my "vehicle" and I found that energy suspension does make a rack bushing kit for those as well as durangos with 4x4. Given that the part you had installed on your KJ is the same part for dakotas and durangos as well I would think the energy suspension kit would fit the KJ. I have included pics as well. I am thinking about ordering a kit for mine, worth a shot.

Andrew

Attachments

• cross ref1.JPG
    cross ref1.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 50
  • cross ref2.JPG
    cross ref2.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 46
  • cross ref3.JPG
    cross ref3.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 53

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you go about replacing them?

4x4Kayak says that if you unbolt the rack, knock out the outer tie rod end ball joints, and push both tires toe in, then the rack will lift enough for the bushing to slide out.

Did a couple of KJs that way years ago
works pretty good

never had to replace any of mine yet

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My shop replaced mine and armed with using a ball joint press to install, they had them both replaced in around an hour.
I will probably replace it in the spring. I will update this thread with better information, once I know exactly how they get er done.
I am going to get them to do the driver's side only this time, that's the one that wears the most and mine again is cracked.
Thanks to Jayme (YC) years ago, for this Lost information Link: LOST JEEPS • View topic - Steering rack insulator bushings

In my video in post 1- I am turning the wheels back & forth.
You can see the rack lifting slightly with a bit of sideways motion, and the bushing lifting a bit, rubber oozing outwards, due to it shot, not good.
Would I be correct in assuming the the poly bushing should be stronger than the OEM rubber ones? It seems the sideways motion or turns does eventually cause cracks/tears in the inner OEM type bushings.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Well the replacement Napa Steering bushing did not last that long.
It is split again. :favorites68:
55804[/ATTACH]"]

Luckily it is not moving sideways as bad as the lat time. It is lifting upwards.
Still the future holds another replacement on driver's side. :thumbsdown:
Click on image to see video:
"]
[/URL]
2nd Video click on image to see movement:
"]
[/URL]
I contacted energy suspension in hopes that I could get the right poly for the KJ.
Reply: We don't make any bushing with the steel sleeve.
The OEM/Napa is rubber over steel sleeve for bolt / very particular.
Could I get a custom poly made using the Napa steel part & tear off the rubber to replace with poly? hmmm. fun=not.:shrug:

Attachments

• Steering%20Bushing2.jpg
    Steering%20Bushing2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 4

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LibertyTC,

I cross referenced that part number on the Napa box from your first pic. I pulled it up as well as vehicle fitment list and it fits several year models of dodge dakotas and durangos. Looks like Chrysler didn't want to design a new steering rack. I used a 2003 Dodge dakota sport 4x4 as my "vehicle" and I found that energy suspension does make a rack bushing kit for those as well as durangos with 4x4. Given that the part you had installed on your KJ is the same part for dakotas and durangos as well I would think the energy suspension kit would fit the KJ. I have included pics as well. I am thinking about ordering a kit for mine, worth a shot.

Andrew
The Durango's and Dakota's racks mount completely different then the KJ's,they don't even use the same R&P steering gears.I know,I've replaced hundreds of them over the years.

Those bushings will not work.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Troy Energy suspension shows a Dodge 2 piece design with no steel sleeve, definitely not right.
What part number's have you been using for the Dakota/Durango for a 2000 model year let say?

Does Moog make one? If not it's a shame.
Moog K7388 appears to be identical for KJ, and lists both Dodge products...
link: Steering Rack Bushings - Dodge Dakota - MOOG-K7388
I am going to contact Moog and ask them if they may know of any poly replacement.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy Energy suspension shows a Dodge 2 piece design with no steel sleeve, definitely not right.
What part number's have you been using for the Dakota/Durango for a 2000 model year let say?

Moog K7388 appears to be identical for KJ, and lists both Dodge products...
link: Steering Rack Bushings - Dodge Dakota - MOOG-K7388
I am going to contact Moog and ask them if they may know of any poly replacement.

Odd that they also only show that it works for 02-04 KJs only. Strange being that the rack hasn't changed through all years.

Jersey Jeep Guy

Reaction score
How many of You would be on-board if I have Urethane Bushings Manufactured for our steering racks? I'm in talks with a leading manufacturer to have them tooled.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone who owns a KJ would like to have Poly bushings for the steering rack.
They would have to be exact fit with the interior steel sleeve.
The current part, rubber, breaks down, and spilt oil from the oil filter breaks then down quickly.
The Poly would probably be the last set you would need, & last hopefully life of Jeep?
Count me in for 2 poly's.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone who owns a KJ would like to have Poly bushings for the steering rack.
They would have to be exact fit with the interior steel sleeve.
The current part, rubber, breaks down, and spilt oil from the oil filter breaks then down quickly.
The Poly would probably be the last set you would need, & last hopefully life of Jeep?
Count me in for 2 poly's.

Not everyone

Latest posts

Members online