GREATTTTTT more problems.. any help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I drove back to work from being on my break and the jeep was running fine. got back in two hours later to leave and.... My speedo isnt working, my odometer isnt working, my radio isn't working, my EVIC wont count any numbers.. and NO CEL.. When I first saw the speedo not working I thought it was my rear speed sensor but I replaced the sensor and the harness like 8 months ago. and when it was bad before it was throwing the code.. In addition to that, I went under to inspect and noticed a sludge/grime buildup on my rear sway bar, control arm, diff housing, and axle tube. The thick stuff is on the sway bar. I wiped some off, rubbed it a little to woft a smell and I'm pretty positive its gear lube. questions at hand: Could my diff be leaking out of where the drive shaft goes into the diff? Could this in turn cause my speedo problems? If not, anyone know why it would quit working and NOT throw any codes?

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pics: sorry they are terrible quality.. dont have a cord for my camera so i had to take pics of the pics on my camera with my iphone then email them to my comp..

You must be registered for see images attach

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like a rear pinion seal..
I had the same looking issues near the rear diff, and just kept an eye on the fluid level until one day it was real bad and knew it was time to get it done. Ended up costing $110 at the Jeep dealership and was done in 2-3 hours, as I didn't know of any driveline shops, and the dealership was good at some previous work and guaranteed there work.
Not sure on the CEL issues though..

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to hope that the leak and electrical are separate.
With no codes, and the dash & radio out, there must be something in the connection dept gone south. Start at the battery and terminals, battery passed load test lately?
The dash harness connections etc...just trying to throw some stuff out.
I hope you can find out WTF is happening, electrical stuff sure *****.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to hope that the leak and electrical are separate.
With no codes, and the dash & radio out, there must be something in the connection dept gone south. Start at the battery and terminals, battery passed load test lately?
The dash harness connections etc...just trying to throw some stuff out.
I hope you can find out WTF is happening, electrical stuff sure *****.

Well now my radio works. So I'm thinking there might not be enough fluid in my rear diff and that's what's messing my rear speed sensor up in turn not sending any info to my dash. I called jeep and he said to bring it in for a free diagnosis so Ima take her to the stealership one of these mornings and see what they can do about the leak. Thanks guys.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well now my radio works. So I'm thinking there might not be enough fluid in my rear diff and that's what's messing my rear speed sensor up in turn not sending any info to my dash. I called jeep and he said to bring it in for a free diagnosis so Ima take her to the stealership one of these mornings and see what they can do about the leak. Thanks guys.

Did you top up your blinker fluid yet?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you top up your blinker fluid yet?

Yeah learned that the hard way...
I forgot to check my blinker fluid and my engine fell out driving down the highway.
Luckily I keep a spare in the trunk.
Remember kids don't be stupid, check your fluid!
(yeah I know doesn't rhyme that great.. )

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn. Checked the level in my rear diff and its normal. right at the bottom of the fill hole. and its still looks pretty damn clean. i hate when the solution is unknown. =[ dealership here i go..

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn. Checked the level in my rear diff and its normal. right at the bottom of the fill hole. and its still looks pretty damn clean. i hate when the solution is unknown. =[ dealership here i go..

Was it only that one day? Sometimes electronics have a way and go bat-:favorites68:-crazy for a day and then is all better...

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took her for a ride and its not fixed.. but the CEL is throwing 0500 which if I'm not mistaken is vehicle speed signal circuit or something like that.. hopefully The dealership will take care of the seal and the sensor for less than an arm and a leg.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took her for a ride and its not fixed.. but the CEL is throwing 0500 which if I'm not mistaken is vehicle speed signal circuit or something like that.. hopefully The dealership will take care of the seal and the sensor for less than an arm and a leg.

Ask them for a quote at least on the seal, if that is what they find wrong!

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm taking her there after class tomorrow morning. The service guy i talked to said he'd do a full free diagnostic. I feel like it wouldn't have been free at my old dealership..