Help with mystery front driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front driveshaft started squeaking on each rotation. I just pulled it out for inspection and it seems that it's not your normal Liberty front driveshaft. It has u joints instead of a CV joint as you'd expect:

You must be registered for see images attach

It's a 02 Limited, auto, gas 3.7L (4x4 obviously), purchased in 2020 and no history prior to that other than it was a mall-crawler. Could this be a factory driveshaft or did some shop fabricate something custom for the previous owner?

The u-joints are greasable so I greased them and will reinstall and hope that solves the squeaking problem. There is a big single ball bearing (like an inch in diameter) between the 2 u-joint housings that is exposed to the elements. I dripped some oil in there just in case that's where the squeaking was coming from but it doesn't seem like a great design since it's so exposed. I also measured the u-joints and I found plenty of candidates on Rock Auto if I need to replace them. The rear flange on the driveshaft is 4-bolt but the flange on the transfer case has 6 threaded holes.

So I'm just curious what I've got here? Any ideas?

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a double carden shaft, someone had big lift plans!
Good info, thanks! However, I can guarantee that the little old lady I bought it off had no plans to lift it. Pretty sure it never even saw gravel, let alone a 4wheelin trail, given its condition - not even a rock chip. I'm guessing she took it to a drivetrain shop to get the CV joint fixed and needed it back asap so rather than wait on a new driveshaft they hacked off the CV joint and welded on whatever they had laying around.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never seen that on a liberty. Does it look like the drive shaft has been welded?

The CV joint end is obviously normal.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never seen that on a liberty. Does it look like the drive shaft has been welded?
Definitely welded at some point in its life - looks good enough to be a factory job but who knows, could have been done by a competent local shop welder too.

I emailed the Neapco rep for western US and he was no help identifying the appropriate "DC Seat Repair Kit" - told me to find a shop on their website - nearest was Cheyenne, WY, 400 miles away :( If the thing keeps squeaking I probably need to squirt oil in there on a regular basis or sadly revert to a (inferior??) factory style driveshaft.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Either change the u-joints or find a shop to do it. Make sure the new ones have zerk fittings to be greased. Probably why the current ones are screaming - no lube.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest the factory one isn't inferior, it has plenty of articulation, a second hand one is cheap and parts are available to replace the joints. Unless you want to lift it massively and go rock crawling you don't need it or a SFA conversion!

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These were around years ago as aftermarket driveshafts but the one I bought on my 04 vibrated and I sent it back - Now I just rebuild the stock one when needed.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either change the u-joints or find a shop to do it. Make sure the new ones have zerk fittings to be greased. Probably why the current ones are screaming - no lube.
The u-joints actually seem fine. They have zerk fittings and I pumped grease in there till the old stuff had oozed out and the new grease was oozing out behind it. The old stuff seemed clean and the consistency was still good. What I suspect is squeaking is the "ball seat" between the 2 u-joint housings. Since I oiled it the squeak has basically gone (for now, till the oil dries out). It didn't look terrible but it was bone dry and I think there should be a seal protecting it from the elements which would come in the "DC Seat Repair Kit". I think I narrowed down the seat repair kits to 2 possible part numbers - if I need to I'll pull it all apart and can hopefully identify exactly what I need and order the kit and a couple of new u-joints.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest the factory one isn't inferior, it has plenty of articulation, a second hand one is cheap and parts are available to replace the joints. Unless you want to lift it massively and go rock crawling you don't need it or a SFA conversion!
Good to know but based on the searching I've done in the last couple of weeks there are plenty of failures, and pretty sure the original on my vehicle failed or else little old lady wouldn't have replaced it. I'll use that as a possible plan B (new or used factory style driveshaft) but for now plan A will be to maintain what I've got.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These were around years ago as aftermarket driveshafts but the one I bought on my 04 vibrated and I sent it back - Now I just rebuild the stock one when needed.
Interesting, any idea who sold them or under what brand name? I'd like to verify what ball seat repair kit I need if possible. Mine doesn't vibrate - it has balance weight tacked on. The welds are tiny though and I can see how a rust belt car would loose that weight pretty quickly. Mine should be fine though.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the very very early 02 might had have that stock. I think it was a mixed bag in the early 2002.
tommudd might know if that's true.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, any idea who sold them or under what brand name? I'd like to verify what ball seat repair kit I need if possible. Mine doesn't vibrate - it has balance weight tacked on. The welds are tiny though and I can see how a rust belt car would loose that weight pretty quickly. Mine should be fine though.
No idea anymore - yours looks like a much higher quality than the one I had.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front driveshaft started squeaking on each rotation. I just pulled it out for inspection and it seems that it's not your normal Liberty front driveshaft. It has u joints instead of a CV joint as you'd expect:

It's a 02 Limited, auto, gas 3.7L (4x4 obviously), purchased in 2020 and no history prior to that other than it was a mall-crawler. Could this be a factory driveshaft or did some shop fabricate something custom for the previous owner?

The u-joints are greasable so I greased them and will reinstall and hope that solves the squeaking problem. There is a big single ball bearing (like an inch in diameter) between the 2 u-joint housings that is exposed to the elements. I dripped some oil in there just in case that's where the squeaking was coming from but it doesn't seem like a great design since it's so exposed. I also measured the u-joints and I found plenty of candidates on Rock Auto if I need to replace them. The rear flange on the driveshaft is 4-bolt but the flange on the transfer case has 6 threaded holes.

So I'm just curious what I've got here? Any ideas?
PM you vin, i"ll check and see if any info is in the configuration list of your lib. I'm looking in service data and it almost looks like they used part of a Durango front drive shaft. it's quite possible the early production models didn't have enough parts and made something work from factory.