Great Safety Concern With 2006 Liberty, Traction Control Behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
We have a matter of great concern with our 2006 Liberty Sport.

On very rare occasion when the drive wheel slips upon quick acceleration, the traction control kicks in as normal, but will have a one to two second delay before the system wakes up and allows the vehicle to move forward again.

It is not consistent in this behavior, therefore cannot be made repeatable. We feel this is a safety issue. What happens if we over-react to get out of someone's way? We become sitting ducks.

Our other GM and Ford vehicles with traction control never behave this way.

Anyone else experience this?
Any thoughts or advice?

My local Chrysler dealer says there are no outstanding recalls, and wants me to bring in the vehicle. I am concerned he'll empty my pockets before he concludes he cannot find any problem.

Last edited:

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, I owned a 32x BMW convertible with ASC+T, and I actually went on someone's way, a big truck btw.

It was the longest 'couple of seconds' in my life....!!!! The b**ch was the first model with drive-by-wire, by the way.

And they call it 'SAFETY DEVICE' :-k

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually keep mine off. Its great for once your up to speed such as snow on the highway but during acceleration i keep mine off, as soon as i feel that delay I either quickly hit the button to turn it off or let off the gas for a quick second then hit it again. Turning it off usually works the best though :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats why Moose, member on LOST sold his, almost got hit a couple of times. Dealer could never do anything to help it
Glad mine doesn't have that crap

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why Moose, member on LOST sold his, almost got hit a couple of times. Dealer could never do anything to help it
Glad mine doesn't have that crap

hey tom i was talking to Moose a wile back and the way that he talked there thay id fix it also his was a six speed

hey ron.dittmer is yours a manual or auto

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time mine has kicked in, is when trying to take off on a icy surface, and then when it's been in 2W. But then I don't stomp it to try and get out and going. If your still running the ST's thats the majority of the problem.:D

x2 after i got my new tires mine rarely ever kicks in, only in the snow when from a complete stop to turning up-hill and hitting it decently hard in 2wd.
I've never had it kick in when i was in 4wd.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to say it is a chrysler issue
the '09 VW has some type of traction control and I can get the tires to smoke if I stomp on it
my '09 F250 also has it and never reacts like this

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
hey tom i was talking to Moose a wile back and the way that he talked there thay id fix it also his was a six speed

hey ron.dittmer is yours a manual or auto
Mine is an automatic. It happens when in 2WD for sure. It has not yet happened in 4WD, but honestly, I haven't driven in 4WD enough to know.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is normal, I encountered it all of the time with the Wrangler STs. Especially if the Jeep is not going straight or the road is bumpy. Almost never with my current tires. (Firestone Destination LE) Also make sure your tire pressures are good. It is really the traction control portion of the ESP that is giving you the problem. That is what gets turned off when you turn off the ESP. The ESP (braking individual wheels for skid correction) never really goes off regardless of switch postion until it is in 4WD low. At that time it is off by default anyway. This is not just a Jeep problem, a friend of mine has a 2.0T 6 speed Jetta that behaves the same way. That's what he tells me anyway.

TexasRock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron -

To answer your question. If the roads are slick or traction is an issue, you can toggle the traction control on/off with the button on top of your steering column...

Keith

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
With the TC in my Durango, I can gun it, it will smoke the tires, but it comes on quick enough to give me traction. No momentum is lost. It doesn't delay movement anymore than the tire smoking...it truly helps.