2003 Jeep Liberty Concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Check the CV as stated above, and U joints. The bird noise in reverse as always been a sign a U joint failure on mine - all 3 times!

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the CV as stated above, and U joints. The bird noise in reverse as always been a sign a U joint failure on mine - all 3 times!

Thank you both for your advice and I will have a look first thing tomorrow, I do not know exactly where to look for the greese on the CV Joint but I will find a diagram, so if this is not something that will be taken care of until early next week is the car okay to drive until then? I can try finding another vehicle if you would recommend that. Thanks!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Probably just fine. I drove mine for a year or two with it being bad. U joints, you might have a month or two or a little more.

I'll pull up some pics for you.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-front-driveshaft-change-driveshaft-head-47161/

If those pics don't work, do this:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/easy-photobuttcket-fix-help-me-save-all-pictures-62731/

Just look at the rear end of the front driveshaft. I'm guessing you might have two issues - that reverse bird sound I am 99% sure is Ujoints but you might have a CV issue too. Neither are tough jobs. That thread will tell you how to replace the CV head. U joints are easy. Just undo the 4 bolts on the rear diff for the driveshaft and then pull it off the tcase. Might need a screw driver to push the boot off. Then take it to a driveshaft shop for new Ujoints.

Last edited:

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-front-driveshaft-change-driveshaft-head-47161/

If those pics don't work, do this:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/easy-photobuttcket-fix-help-me-save-all-pictures-62731/

Just look at the rear end of the front driveshaft. I'm guessing you might have two issues - that reverse bird sound I am 99% sure is Ujoints but you might have a CV issue too. Neither are tough jobs. That thread will tell you how to replace the CV head. U joints are easy. Just undo the 4 bolts on the rear diff for the driveshaft and then pull it off the tcase. Might need a screw driver to push the boot off. Then take it to a driveshaft shop for new Ujoints.

Thank you for all this information as it has been extremely helpful! It was in fact the U Joints, they have all been replaced & all is well now, no more noise! While under my Jeep there was a noticeable oil leak coming from the timing cover, I am taking it back to the service center to have it fixed, a little aggravating at this point but it has to be done.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That ***** but they should be the ones to fix it. Keep us updated.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be honest, I did not think I would have to re-visit this post. So after getting the U-Joint replaced which did go well we noticed that there was oil accumulating on the underside of my Jeep, after looking closer its hard to tell exactly where its coming from. I am posting a few pictures I took while it was on a lift, needless to say am waiting to hear back from the service center as to where it is coming from.
https://imgur.com/a/GIJQ1mp
You must be registered for see images

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No idea....mine looks like that but mine also has over 170k on it. I see it as free rust prevention. :D

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea....mine looks like that but mine also has over 170k on it. I see it as free rust prevention. :D

Thank you for your input! I got word back today the leak was coming from the timing chain cover. It is being actively fixed & I should get word back soon, thanks!

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it has been a ongoing nightmare with this dealership. Since I last made a comment here some things have happened which I will list below.

1. After having my Jeep back for about 2 weeks I noticed a creaking noise coming from where the shifter is to put my Jeep into gear so I took it back, they informed me the transmission needed to be re-adjusted and they have done so but still the same issue and it gets progressively worst as the Jeep gets warmed up, I can put my hand where the shifter is and feel vibrations coming from the area.

2. The CEL came on after I picked it up 2 weeks ago and they informed me that the CEL ended up being a o2 sensor which they are replacing thankfully, they informed me the ball joints needed to be replaced since I would make a right turn and if there is a drop-off such as going from a parking lot to a road then I would hear a clunking noise coming from the right front tire so I had them replaced, so after having that done the same noise still exists. I am dropping it off on Tuesday to get this looked into further but they informed me that it is the suspension and they looked into it but since the shocks are not leaking or wet that it is nothing to worry about, that leaves me to deal with a clunking noise to deal with each time I make a right turn and there is a slight drop off? Also after driving it this weekend I noticed the noise is also heard but not as loud occasionally when making right turns with no drop off & on a flat surface.

3. Once I drive my jeep for a good while and it is really warmed up there is a loud creaking noise coming from the top right side of the engine compartment, I can not hear it from inside the Jeep when it is running but when I open the door or get out it is very loud and when I pop the hood it is VERY loud. I have brought this up twice to them but they can not seem to reproduce the issue, although every time it is warmed up & driven for about an hour I hear it every time.

4. After picking it up this past Friday and noticing the CEL was on I noticed my window does not go down all the way and get stuck about 25% of the way, after it goes down 25% of the way it grinds. I rolled it down 25% of the way & lightly applied downwards pressure & it rolled down just fine but the problem can be re-produced every time. The window goes up just fine with no hesitation.

5. I noticed the hood had scuffs on it like someone sat something down 2 times in 2 different areas which they have buffed out and it looks alright, although keep in mind my Jeep was recently painted and it does not look the same as before. Also a few months ago when they did the engine they took off my front grille and scuffed that all up which they painted, they took off the front bumper which they buffed although that looks like crap but I let it go.

All of these things in combination with the issues I have had in the past with the engine & everything else is driving me insane! Please bear in mind when I dropped my Jeep off in December I had NO issues with it ever for the most part aside from the average oil change, now that they have been actively working on it I have a new problem every time I pick it up! By now I must have dropped my Jeep off and picked it up a total of 100 times and they have almost had it more this year then me no lie! I am ready to give up on the Jeep even though all of this work has been put into it but I do not think it is worth the stress at this point, I am starting a new job in a week which is a 60 miles drive to and from and need a reliable daily vehicle, since my Jeep has 85,000 miles on it I decided to get a 2015 used sedan but I really want to keep my Jeep and pass it on to my Fiance but I can not put her behind the wheel of a vehicle I do not trust myself! Any input is GREATLY appreciated because I am at my wits end with my Jeep and this dealership.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Buying a 2015 model year anything does not mean you will have no issues at all, you know that right?
As far as your other issues, yes you have been through the mill, but sounds like a poor place to take your vehicle since they seem to be idiots.
Some things you are mentioning are very easy repairs
window, easy repair there are companies that make great repair kits
Suspension noises most likely can be repaired with a suspension upgrade, springs and shocks that come on a KJ are junk and unless you have upgraded more than likely it. Just because shocks are not leaking doesn't mean zip.
But they are more than likely giving your KJ the lowest man on the totem pole at this point and nothing is getting done, meaning some places don't really care.
None of my vehicles have been in a garage for over 40 years, except for alignments, hard to find good honest shops . That is one reason I wished I lived closer to Troy ! LOL

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying a 2015 model year anything does not mean you will have no issues at all, you know that right?
As far as your other issues, yes you have been through the mill, but sounds like a poor place to take your vehicle since they seem to be idiots.
Some things you are mentioning are very easy repairs
window, easy repair there are companies that make great repair kits
Suspension noises most likely can be repaired with a suspension upgrade, springs and shocks that come on a KJ are junk and unless you have upgraded more than likely it. Just because shocks are not leaking doesn't mean zip.
But they are more than likely giving your KJ the lowest man on the totem pole at this point and nothing is getting done, meaning some places don't really care.
None of my vehicles have been in a garage for over 40 years, except for alignments, hard to find good honest shops . That is one reason I wished I lived closer to Troy ! LOL

I definitely understand that issues can arise with a newer vehicle as well, I was just noting I am getting a 2015 vehicle regardless of having issues right now with my Jeep since I want to have a daily driver I can put the miles on and that I know is going to be reliable, what I was also saying is that I would like to keep my Jeep & the new vehicle if at all possible to pass on to my Fiance but I do not want to keep it if all these issues keep happening. I suppose all the problems are stemming from the dealer that keeps working on my Jeep so that is my main problem. I would like to try learning to do these corrections myself but being I have never worked on a car before it would be difficult to do these repairs myself, except the window repair which I did watch a youtube video & that seems like something I can do.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to post here as I will be getting over to the dealership at 7 AM on Monday to drop off my Liberty & speak with the manager. So what was replaced last week was the front lower ball joints, the front control arms both sides & the sway bar. What I initially went in for was that when going from a parking lot to a level road & making a right there is a loud clunking coming from the right tire area if there is a slight drop-off from the parking lot to the road, well after the work was done I noted above the noise is still there if not worst. I am wondering if they could have been aggressive with the engine replacement when removing parts or something else in order to put the engine in & accidentally damaged the shocks or another part which is causing the noise? They say the noise 100% is the shocks & did not tell me that before I had the control arms, sway bar, and lower ball joints replaced or else I would have just gotten the shocks done since that is what we now think is causing the noise. I just want something to go in with when I drop it off tomorrow. Also the grinding noise coming from the shifer area to put my Jeep into gear is something they did agree to fix but this is now the second time around attempting to correct it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Also HoosierJeeper I figure I will tag you incase you have any insight as you have been a huge help so far!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have started out with new springs and shocks, no use replacing worn out shocks with out new springs. Did they replace the sway bar links and bushings as well ?
Seems from what I have read they are just replacing parts , not finding the rear issues

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have started out with new springs and shocks, no use replacing worn out shocks with out new springs. Did they replace the sway bar links and bushings as well ?
Seems from what I have read they are just replacing parts , not finding the rear issues

I agree, they even made a note on the work order I got that said up top in all caps: A CLUNKING NOISE WHEN TURNING RIGHT OVER BUMPS - CHECK FRONT.

So they did the following:
- Install both lower ball joints & sway bar
- Balljoint-lower control arm
- Arm-upper control
- Link-sway eliminator
- Electronic wheel allignment

Any insight is much appriciated, as of now I have a friend that can help me replace the suspension & new window motor for $100 in labor, I have the parts as follows:
Windows motor(s) left driver side, right passenger side coming as a bonus & same price as just buying driver only: https://www.am-autoparts.com/products/window-regulator/AM-32229201.html?m=876&y=2003
Suspension kit including struts & complete assembled suspension for the front of my Jeep (I know not the highest quality kit but I do not want to spend too much): https://www.am-autoparts.com/products/shocks-and-struts/AM-1700616705.html?m=876&y=2003
If you have any similarly priced suspension kit recommendations I would be all ears but $200 for the window driver side & suspension kit sounds very appealing, including paying a friend $100 to help me install the parts equaling $300 total for the suspension & window repair/replacement.

When I go in on Monday I am going to stress I came in to correct the noise & clunking with my Jeep & I am right back where I started so I am going to press to have this corrected. Any insight as to why this has even happened with the suspension when it was fine when I dropped it off in December would be much appreciated, last time I made a post a few months ago my Jeep had 80,100 miles on it & now it still has a little over 85,000 so I would really love to keep it if at all possible!

Also I updated the first 2 posts on the thread if you wanted to get up to date on what has happened leading up to now in date order.

Last edited:

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see alot of members here use the Monroe suspension kit I referenced above, is that kit really just like OEM for a fraction of the cost? I am thinking to get the load balancers as well.

Also the service center was closed today so I will be dropping off my Jeep tomorrow. Thanks!

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If they didn't replace the sway bar bushings I'm thinking those could be the culprit. They clunk when both wheels drop. Any auto parts store should have the pair for $10ish, it's a 20 minute job. Just need an 18mm socket. Don't need to jack it up or anything. I'd start there, I think most KJ clunking noises come from there. It's rare to have bad lower control arms on these.

For the grinding noise, is it a metal on metal grind or more like an electronic buzz? The buzz is completely normal.

For the window regulator, typical KJ issue. Easy fix.

For the suspension, OME/Bilstein is much much much better than anything OEM or from Rockauto. It seriously saved me from trading in the KJ. The ride is so much better. But Monroe will be like OEM.

I think I got everything...did I miss anything? LOL! Wish you weren't having these issues!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I see alot of members here use the Monroe suspension kit I referenced above, is that kit really just like OEM for a fraction of the cost? I am thinking to get the load balancers as well.

Also the service center was closed today so I will be dropping off my Jeep tomorrow. Thanks!

I refuse to install Monroe or even for that matter stock Mopar springs and shocks. They are that bad in my opinion.
Use OME 925s/947 springs and bilstien shocks and be way better ride and handling than stock ever was and not much lift
One guy insisted he wanted Monroe shocks and springs, tried to talk him out of them, week later he was back having me order full OME suspension. Said it was almost as bad as what came off of it originally LOL Still have them sitting here 3 years later, ran for a week

Last edited:

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they didn't replace the sway bar bushings I'm thinking those could be the culprit. They clunk when both wheels drop. Any auto parts store should have the pair for $10ish, it's a 20 minute job. Just need an 18mm socket. Don't need to jack it up or anything. I'd start there, I think most KJ clunking noises come from there. It's rare to have bad lower control arms on these.

For the grinding noise, is it a metal on metal grind or more like an electronic buzz? The buzz is completely normal.

For the window regulator, typical KJ issue. Easy fix.

For the suspension, OME/Bilstein is much much much better than anything OEM or from Rockauto. It seriously saved me from trading in the KJ. The ride is so much better. But Monroe will be like OEM.

I think I got everything...did I miss anything? LOL! Wish you weren't having these issues!

Thank you both for your input! It is invaluable to me right now since I will be at the dealership tomorrow at 8 AM to discuss a resolution & hopefully a final one to get all this sorted. They did not replace the bushings and thank you for letting me know that may be it! The ride is a little rough & that is why I was thinking about the suspension anyway, is this something that should have been easily diagnosed since I specifically went in JUST to fix the clunking noise? If so tat is quite aggravating. The grinding noise sounds more like a metal noise to be honest, what is strange is it gets progressively worst the longer my Jeep warms up or I drive it, for instance it did not make the noise at all until I drove for about 20 mins today? Very strange but also the squeaking noise coming from the upper left driver side engine compartment is also only heard when I drive for about 20-30 mins, it gets louder the longer I drive, the clunking seems to be getting worst but still it only happens when turning on certain surfaces or turning a certain way when there is a drop-off. What is strange is my Jeep drives great aside from sounding like a symphony the longer I drive it due to all the noises lol!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know how many times I have heard " Oh it rides great and nice ride overall" only to find blown shocks, weak springs. Then you replace and they are like " WOW never knew this thing could ride so good , thought it was good but guess it wasn't "
The grinding could be a number of things, even idler pully's , rear CV on the front driveshaft etc , lots of things if I had it hear could find in 10-15 minutes max.
Wish I was closer to ya, I'd help you out for sure and check everything, by the way have you ever laid on a creeper under a vehicle and been slowly pulled up your concrete pad in front of your garage to find a noise? I have just to find one small noise. :happy175: