2003 Jeep Liberty Concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they didn't replace the sway bar bushings I'm thinking those could be the culprit. They clunk when both wheels drop. Any auto parts store should have the pair for $10ish, it's a 20 minute job. Just need an 18mm socket. Don't need to jack it up or anything. I'd start there, I think most KJ clunking noises come from there. It's rare to have bad lower control arms on these.

For the grinding noise, is it a metal on metal grind or more like an electronic buzz? The buzz is completely normal.

For the window regulator, typical KJ issue. Easy fix.

For the suspension, OME/Bilstein is much much much better than anything OEM or from Rockauto. It seriously saved me from trading in the KJ. The ride is so much better. But Monroe will be like OEM.

I think I got everything...did I miss anything? LOL! Wish you weren't having these issues!

So I am at the dealership. They informed me that the sway bar bushings were replaced when the other work I referenced above was done. In this case do you think the suspension is causing the clunking? Also just wanted to note that when I got here the squeaking I referenced that was coming from the engine actually seems to be coming from the transmission area, they said they think it's the torque converter, any ideas? Again, thank you for all your help!!

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just spoke to them. They said 100% it's the torque converter and there's nothing they can do since the tramissioms are basically expendable and once they start working on them something else could go wrong. For the most part he's saying he can not put a new transmission in it and they won't fix the issue even tho I did not have a problem when I dropped it off in December. Any ideas? I am at my wit's end!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The clunking could be the shocks, I've had bad ones clunk before. So that's where I'd go for that.

I've never heard of the torque converter making noise but this dealer seems to be good at creating new issues so I wouldn't rule it out....I'd check the trans fluid and see if it's burnt.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clunking could be the shocks, I've had bad ones clunk before. So that's where I'd go for that.

I've never heard of the torque converter making noise but this dealer seems to be good at creating new issues so I wouldn't rule it out....I'd check the trans fluid and see if it's burnt.

Alright I will check that after I get it back, also I spoke with them and they are putting a o2 sensor in now but for the most part they said it could not have been anything they did but I recall the noise starting immediately after I picked it up in January & it has been progressively getting worst, when I get it back later today I will check the transmission fluid. They informed me that it is running 100% fine & I should leave everything alone & deal with the noise. They keep noting that my Jeep is now 15 years old and putting a new transmission in it is not worth it. They really seem to push the age of my Jeep every time they see something wrong they may have done & do not want to fix, for instance this is how they word it "well the vehicle is 15 years old now & things can will go wrong", quite aggravating since my Jeep is in great condition & never had a issue when I dropped it off in December!

Also just to note they are 100% denying any responsibility for the problem since their tech has already diagnosed the problem as a internal transmission problem.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just put a new trans in mine 2 years ago! It is worth it if the rest of the Jeep is solid!

Have you spoken to an attorney? At this point I'd want to take it to a new shop and get the dealer to foot the bill.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put a new trans in mine 2 years ago! It is worth it if the rest of the Jeep is solid!

Have you spoken to an attorney? At this point I'd want to take it to a new shop and get the dealer to foot the bill.

I put a used trans in mine 40k miles ago in my backyard and it's been rock solid (knock on wood).

I totally agree with the second paragraph. Your dealership is incompetent at best and robbing you blind at worst.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a used trans in mine 40k miles ago in my backyard and it's been rock solid (knock on wood).

I totally agree with the second paragraph. Your dealership is incompetent at best and robbing you blind at worst.

Thanks for your input! In your honest opinion does this sound like something the dealer did? I setup an appointment with a transmission shop that does this for a living every day & we are going to go through all of the printed receipts/things done to my Jeep since December and diagnose (hopefully) what the current issue is & if it could be related, I will keep you all posted on what the outcome of that is. I got another vehicle today so I have another daily driver is some more work needs to be done on my Jeep.

How much did it run you for the used transmission? Just want to get some price ideas to I can see if this is something I can have done. How much does it usually cost to rebuild transmissions & is it usually better to get a rebuilt transmission or try getting a used one? Thanks!

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have not spoken to a lawyer yet, I did speak with someone at my local attorney generals office & they did say I would be looking at a few grand if I wanted to pursue this. I am taking it to a trans place like I referenced above this Thursday & we will go from there, any input in the meantime is much appreciated! I did speak with the trans place & they say when I picked my Jeep up in December & it was struggling going from drive to 1st gear & when I heard back from the service center they informed me it was something with the transfer case or cable that they should not have been anywhere near the transfer case for a engine swap & that sounds fishy right there.

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer did something. Or a bunch of somethings. Proving it, though...

I paid something like $300 shipped to my work (we have a forklift). Cheaper than to a residential address and they didn’t need a liftgate. I bought it on eBay from an auto recycler with an indoor facility. It had a small warranty, as well.

And then I took my time removing the old one, cleaning everything, painting everything I could reach, replacing things that were easier to get to with the trans and transfer case out of the way...all told, I spent about $1000, including the trans, fluids, input and output sensors, oxygen sensors, exhaust bolts and bracket thingys, gaskets, cooler line cleaner, cooler line clips...oh, that includes the rear differential fluid and cover goo, too. Might include the hitch and bolts, come to that.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer did something. Or a bunch of somethings. Proving it, though...

I paid something like $300 shipped to my work (we have a forklift). Cheaper than to a residential address and they didn’t need a liftgate. I bought it on eBay from an auto recycler with an indoor facility. It had a small warranty, as well.

And then I took my time removing the old one, cleaning everything, painting everything I could reach, replacing things that were easier to get to with the trans and transfer case out of the way...all told, I spent about $1000, including the trans, fluids, input and output sensors, oxygen sensors, exhaust bolts and bracket thingys, gaskets, cooler line cleaner, cooler line clips...oh, that includes the rear differential fluid and cover goo, too. Might include the hitch and bolts, come to that.

Sounds like you made out nicely! I really with I know how to do in-depth things like this but I do not have the tools or knowledge to do it. I do have a friend that can help for a small fee so maybe I will go that avenue if I can not accumulate the proof needed to get the dealer to pay for this, if it is something they did which it sounds like it is very probable they did cause the problem. I will be keeping everyone updated this Thursday once I get some solid advice and feedback from a professional once we test drive & look at the transmission & issue.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went to the transmission service center today & the head tech/owner assisted me. We went for a test drive & after the service center that put the engine in had it 2 days ago had my Jeep for the entire day the noise is very slight and the squeaking that could previously be heard outside my Jeep is gone mysteriously. I have a feeling they did something to correct the loud noise & just did not tell me since it was another one of their mistakes, the only thing they said that they did 2 days ago was a o2 sensor. The transmission center owner I referenced above informed me he could not hear the noise after about a 10 mile test drive (I went with him) & my Jeep was idling for about 10 mins & driven 20 mins before I got there to make sure the noise was loud enough to hear. He informed me since the noise can not be heard & is not causing drivability issues & is driving great (his words) to just leave it be, he informed me my Jeep could be diagnosed but it would cost $108/hour & he really would not like to take my money & it would not feel right since it is driving just fine. Now I am just going to be looking into the suspension & replacing 2 window motors (driver & passenger) in the meantime. Thank you all for your help & I will keep you updated moving forward!

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do want to get into repairing your own vehicle you can pick up a jack, jack stands, and a basic tool set for about $300. Most specialty tools can be rented for free from your local autoparts store.