Got hood vents installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'm wondering how they are going to be with the snow... Having the jeep sit outside all night with it snowing... there are a lot of sensors and crap right below those vents, such as all the wires for the ignition coils... I looked at the marine website, and the holes in those look bigger than other vents I have seen... I must say though, they are the nicest set of hood louvers I have seen on a KJ yet... props!

Inc

Free
Reaction score
Personally I'm wondering how they are going to be with the snow... Having the jeep sit outside all night with it snowing... there are a lot of sensors and crap right below those vents, such as all the wires for the ignition coils... I looked at the marine website, and the holes in those look bigger than other vents I have seen... I must say though, they are the nicest set of hood louvers I have seen on a KJ yet... props!

I've had my vents in for a while now and I park in my driveway and it snows and rains and I've never had a single issue.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I never have had any problems with snow, rain, sleet, hail , washing the Heep anything and mines been on for a few years now!

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking to istall a metal net. You know the one used in sport and not-so-sport cars' bumpers. This would keep some of the crap out like leaves, etc. I'll keep observing what happens under the vents for some time and then decide if they are really necessary.
Haven't got snow yet, but i don't think it's going to be a problem.

By the way at some angles i can swear it seems they are about to move like gills :)

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Can you put a shallow rectangular metal/plastic basket, with one open end, under each one, that goes back close to the firewall? That way, air still gets out, and water will drain as far back as possible. They will still work, just that the air would channel up through each side. Probably a lot of work and design, but, it would be neat to see.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What about snow on the hood???

Doesn't make a difference if it's snow rain , hail or whatever a little moisture is not going to kill the engine! Only problem someone may have is when the rubber O rings start to go on the bottom of the coils, moisture will go down past and cause a miss, but then you need new coils anyways so the vents are not a problem!

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the moisture will get that far :)

Also i wash my engine every month anyway, so they will go for a different reason :)

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holes were not the way to go in my case, since the vents are very thick.
Had to cut a lot of hood ribs (don't know how to call them exactly).

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never seen my engine get wet in a hard rain. I personally detail it so I know what gets wet and were the dirt hides. I would not want water pouring on the engine anytime it rains. Some people have opinions but personally I dont think its a good thing. Dont the GTO vents have a gutter that catches the water?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ive never seen my engine get wet in a hard rain. I personally detail it so I know what gets wet and were the dirt hides. I would not want water pouring on the engine anytime it rains. Some people have opinions but personally I dont think its a good thing. Dont the GTO vents have a gutter that catches the water?

x2...I don't want my engine getting wet, unless it's me holding the hose, getting only certain things slightly damp...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoosierjeeper Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeepster

x2...I don't want my engine getting wet, unless it's me holding the hose, getting only certain things slightly damp...
I high pressure wash my engine every sunday,besides when I could not(when I was deployed and the SFA build),since march of 2002 and zero issues from it.

All the electronics are weather proof and will take a good soaking,also don't have the engine running and make sure it is relatively cool or warm.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I high pressure wash my engine every sunday,besides when I could not(when I was deployed and the SFA build),since march of 2002 and zero issues from it.

Thank you for your service...(flagusa)

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I was looking around today, and there are vents in the Cowl right? Has anyone cut holes in the angled part of the firewall? Up high enough so water doesn't get in (since drains are in there), and use those as heat ventilation? I bet you can cut some nice 1"x4" rectangular holes to flow the air right up and out the cowl. There is a portion where you can do it without effecting the bulk-head, doing it by removing the cowl, and cutting from the top, where it angles down towards the firewall. OR, that flat spot up to just below where the hood mates. That would hide the vents, and work very nicely! I am going to look into this myself. That would be nice and OEM like, huh?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

GTO vents never seen anyone use them , now my GTP vents did have a tray but it did not allow for much air flow so left them out.

As far as getting water on the engine , have to think back to growing up on the farm, our tractors were out in all sorts of weather, way worse water proofing than anything we have on the KJs and we never had a problem
Those that think getting their engines wet are well...... all wet ;):D:D:D:D

Personal opinion of course but