hood vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been contemplating cutting holes in my hood to install a couple of vents in it. I want this primarily for trail riding, to reduce the under hood temperatures. The biggest concern I have is if the water coming thru the vents will mess up the electronics, or crack the exhaust manifolds. we are in "monsoon season" here now. I would be interested in photo's if anyone has done this to your Liberty. Thanks.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
not the best picture, but if you zoom in a bit...I suggest placing them toward the back of the engine bay and also toward the outside so they're between the engine and body. Another consideration comes from the air cooled VW days. Put spacers under your hinges and just open up the gap at the back of the hood/windshield cowl. There is also a rubber seal at the cowl and hood that can be removed to open up that area without messing with anything else.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Proper factory vents have drip trays, so a scratch round a junk yard might pay dividends.

Jacking up the trailing edge of the hood is popular in XJ circles (or was), in fact, you can still get a kit (2 blocks + 4 longer bolts) but, unlike in a rear-engined application, the hot (& contaminated) air vents immediately in front of the fresh air intake for the cabin.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proper factory vents have drip trays, so a scratch round a junk yard might pay dividends.

Jacking up the trailing edge of the hood is popular in XJ circles (or was), in fact, you can still get a kit (2 blocks + 4 longer bolts) but, unlike in a rear-engined application, the hot (& contaminated) air vents immediately in front of the fresh air intake for the cabin.
Good point on the intake vents. The air cooles VW's get their heat directly off the exhaust, you can always tell when there's a hole in the pipe.o_O