Gas tank skid issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to remove the trailer hitch for installing the gas tank skid I discovered that the last screw (most forward) on the right side is 100% blocked by the muffler tailpipe. No room to event insert a narrow socket wrench.. Stupid MOPAR instructions show a straight line thru the muffler for the bolt as if its made of air... Tailpipe does not seem to have any removable part/bolt to be able to move it aside..
What gives?

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a 2x4 to pry it over enough to get on a short socket on a swivel and long extension.
Or pop off the tailpipe hanger .

Gyro

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I removed the tailpipe. At the time...I wanted the muffler replaced anyway. Just two bolts and a couple of hangers (one bolt on mine. The other went missing)

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a open wrench the first time. You can access the bolt without removing he tire. Less hassle than removing the exhaust. Second time used ratcheting box wrench and that was super easy.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the rear passenger tire and the bolt is right there. Lots of room to swing a ratchet in there to remove it. Or...

Get a 2X4 and push the tailpipe out of the way. Personally I like to stay off the ground as much as possible so removal of the rear tire was my preferred method :waytogo:

Bob

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OKdokie.. I'll lift + remove the rear right wheel, why didn't I see that?
Thanks good people!