KK gas tank skid plate rot: A solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OEM skid plate version of the gas tank hanger rots out. Mine has, and I found the same exact issue on 4 different junkyard Renegade Liberties that had OEM gas tank skids.

You must be registered for see images attach

My solution was to replace it with the non-skid plate version from a junkyard, since even these are not made anymore. I know it’s hard to find one that doesn’t get destroyed by the fork lift, but 98% of KK’s had this kind of gas tank hanger so it’s easier to find than the skid plate version:

Then I ordered this custom skid plate that straps on underneath it:

https://www.asfir.com/fuel-tank-skid-plate-542071.html

As far as I know, it’s the only one still made anywhere in the world that fits the KK (and its sibling the Nitro). The skid is made of 1/4” aluminum so will not rust. Asfir has 50% off shipping and 7% off the skid until Dec 31, 2021. Should be just about $316 shipped.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. I don’t know how long Asfir will still be making them, so it might be worth getting one ASAP if anyone is in the same boat as me.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also if your KK doesn't have any skids yet, Asfir makes matching aluminum engine, transmission & transfer case skids for the KK/Nitro too.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How the heck did you even find the ASFIR plates in the first place? Good research indeed!
Post a few pics please once you have the new aluminum gas skid installed !

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive been watching them way back when they had a lot of KJ skids but were always very expensive back then

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How the heck did you even find the ASFIR plates in the first place? Good research indeed!
Post a few pics please once you have the new aluminum gas skid installed !
I had a brainstorm and searched for skid plates for the Dodge Nitro instead of the Liberty. Asfir had theirs branded for the Nitro, plus the KK Cherokee (what it’s called in the rest of the world). The word Liberty would not have brought them up in a web search.

I’ll definitely post pics. Shipping will probably be at least 2 weeks. I want to repaint that OEM gas tank hanger as well before installing it, if the weather cooperates. I also plan to replace the tired old fuel pump while I have the tank dropped.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still remember the first gas tank skid we did on Teds KK , oh what a time LOL
Did you hold the gas tank up with ratchet straps? This is how I did mine:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=50745

Also, I got an email from ASFIR this morning:

Dear Lauren,
Thank you for your order.

Please note that this item is not currently in stock and as such could take up to 6 weeks for delivery. However we will do our best to speed things up as much as possible and will advise delivery details as soon as dispatched.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Time to see if Bert can get some new underwear!
Thanks for the tip!

Update: ****. Nada for the KJs

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
They used to have a full set up for the KJs but like every other company gave up on us
Yep. Only ones I can find are OE mildly used for the engine and a few NOS for the others. Nothing for the tank.
Also found some obscenely priced custom stuff over seas. Same for CONUS.

Which I still had access to a brake…then I’d punch a bunch out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I may know of a Kilby gas tank skid, the best one ever made if the guy still has it
Sold his KJ recently and I'm supposed to go look at what he has left soon

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Found a few skid row tank plates in stock but prices seem to be jacked pretty high due to scarcity

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Found a few skid row tank plates in stock but prices seem to be jacked pretty high due to scarcity
Kilbys are better than Skidrows, but theirs are a close second
I am running SkidRow engine / transmission guards on two of mine with 4Xguard Bumper guard going from the engine guard to front bumper
Sadly almost all can only be found used

Skid Row front engine skid with 4XGuard bumper to engine skid guard

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom, correct me if I’m wrong, but the KK and KJ engine skid, transmission skid, and transfer case skid should be interchangeable between the Liberty models with little to no modification, right? If true, then the aluminum KK ASFIR skids should all work on a KJ with the exception of the gas tank skid being different. Just find a Kilby or Skid Row for that one. Thoughts?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom, correct me if I’m wrong, but the KK and KJ engine skid, transmission skid, and transfer case skid should be interchangeable between the Liberty models with little to no modification, right? If true, then the aluminum KK ASFIR skids should all work on a KJ with the exception of the gas tank skid being different. Just find a Kilby or Skid Row for that one. Thoughts?
At one point we tried some and I think if my memory is still somewhat good that engine skid did
but transmission would need to be mounted a bit different, new holes drilled ???
Don't quote me , been 10-11 years

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I didn’t live so far away I’d drive my KK over tomorrow and we could measure the distances between crossmembers, bolt holes, etc. to see what the difference is. Also would love to do my next oil change and tire rotation in a warm shop! :D