Difficult exhaust pipe problem- bad weld

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Jot

Reaction score
Well here's the mess I'm in.
I bought a used '04 Jeep Liberty last year and have since discovered that the previous owner did a bad weld job on the exhaust pipe coming out of the muffler.
I realized this when the exhaust pipe broke off when driving a few blocks from my house today, right at the join after the muffler. Thankfully I wasn't out on the highway.
In any case, after going to Auto Zone and discussing what was available to buy to mend this at a pinch, it was related to me that the 4" insert and C clamps would be a much stronger attachment than the rolled aluminum with screw band clamps. OK fine.
As far as re-welding, this I think is not an option, because the tailpipe is rusted on the end.
So. After spending much time determining which 4" insert pipe would fit, I quickly discovered the one bought fit into the muffler, but only about 1". It was then immovable- neihter removable, nor able to be tapped in further with a hammer. Stuck.
I hesitate to hit with a wooden block any more, because I'm afraid of denting the muffler or causing more damage.
So now I'm left with the prospect of not only an exhuast pipe that extends way out too far, but a weak joint as the insert will only be 1" in.
Many people on a Liberty forum on Facebook then suggested, just leave the cap as-is, forget about the rest of the exhaust pipe. Some have left it this way for years, without a problem.
My concerns doing this are (1) carbon monoxide getting into the cabin and (2) getting a ticket. What is the likelihood of either?
My other option is to try to put the pipe on, and risk it breaking/falling off on the highway. So its damned, or be damned.
Which way poses less risk????
I could also look into a short insert directing the exhaust out the side of the car. What are people's thoughts. I just need a driveable car :(

Attachments

• P1150662.JPG
    P1150662.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 15
  • P1150664.JPG
    P1150664.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 15
  • P1150663.JPG
    P1150663.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 15

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would weld that without any worries. Long term its going to need to be replaced but for now cut and weld to make it work.

Reactions: JRB

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Facebook ? LOL
Most information on there is mostly from users who have never done any mods to their rides and just hack away
I know since Im a mod on a couple of KJ type forums there as well
NOW , why is there such a huge difference in sizes ?
Inlet and outlet on KJ exhausts are 2.5 inches, so tailpipe would be flanged out just a small amount to slid over the muffler
From the looks you are going to need a new muffler ( and tailpipe ) soon so any thing you do will be a short term effort then you can replace with muffler and tailpipe that actually work together
For now do what you need to do to hold it tight and get exhaust out the back