2004 Gas tank skid plate install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruby

Reaction score
I'm looking at how to put on the gas tank skid plate and I'm wondering how the heck you get the bolts on and off.
3 bolts, two badly placed access holes. Am I missing something? Is there some special tool? Obviously someone got a hitch mounted to this before i got the vehicle so its doable. I just dont know how. I'm feeling around in it and it doesn't feel like the nuts are welded on or anything so how do I keep the nuts from spinning with the bolts?
Thank you for the help!
You must be registered for see images attach

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nuts should be welded onto the frame rails, so all you need is a good impact or a breaker bar and some PB Blaster / Kroil.

Someone with a KJ please correct me if I’m wrong. Johnny O has recently installed a gas tank skid on his 07. You could start a conversation with him and ask.

Last edited:

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 had a factory installed tow package. I just unbolted the hitch. Liwered it down. Put the skid up, then the hitch over it. Bolts back in and done. Its true they are welded in the frame, or are welded to strips that are inserted into the frame. Either way the nuts should be captured.

Ruby

Reaction score
My bad for never replying to this but the nuts were welded on. Ended up being nice and easy, thank you guys!