Front end noise please help im stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rennocneb

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Liberty CRD. It has 137k on it just bought it not to long back, it had steel wheels and tires on it i didnt love so i changed them back to stock 16x7 with 245/75/16 on them. It is lifted 3 inches with an OME kit. So it has a strange hard to describe rubbing sound that sounds like its from the front passenger side only when turning left. It drives great, no wheel vibrations, tracks straight, is quiet up to 80mph in a straight line, makes no noise when turning right at all. Now I have replaced both front CVs, and the passenger side wheel hub, it wasnt fully bad but a bit gritty feeling. The noise is still there, this is on two sets of wheels and tires, and new cvs and a new hub, When i did the CV on the passenger side i went ahead and swapped an intermediate shaft i got from the local salvage yard in. It looked a lot better than mine only had about 14800 miles on it. so im totally stumped, any ideas?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With out more info, going to guess tires are rubbing.
Turn Steering wheel from straight ahead to 9 o clock, are your tires rubbing on front air dam or rear pinch weld on passenger side? Does it happen louder in reverse turned in same direction.
Its an obvious question but the easiest to eliminate quickly.

At 3 inches lift its not uncommon to rub on one side and not the other depending on how much caster your running, if your running after market UCA, or how close your cross caster is matched.

Whats your wheel center to fender height also? If you have spring model numbers or if there is a top plate / clevis lift it would also help.

When you go back to stock wheels due to the higher offset, there is a tendancy when hard turning that they rub on the sway bar where it makes a bend before going to the bushings on the front, is the paint wore off there? Easy indicator for contact.

rennocneb

Reaction score
i beleive it has the heavy duty ome springs, its a crd. i do see a rub on the sway bar, but i believe its with the old wheels when checking it the tire is not even close to the sway bar setting still. i dont have a rub on the bumper or pinch welds they are beat over and the bumper is a arb bull bar style. it did the same thing with both sets of tires also. my fender well to wheel center is around 22"

rennocneb

Reaction score
if it is a tire rub is there anything that can be done to gain clearance on the sway bar?

rennocneb

Reaction score
also one last point about the sway bar question, it makes this noise, albeit to a lesser extent with any amount of turning left. i was under the impression it took full lock to cause the rub on the sway bar?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
i was under the impression it took full lock to cause the rub on the sway bar?

That would depend a lot on the profile of your tire. My fat Duratracs rubbed quite a ways before full lock.
Different offset rims or wheel adapters will solve the rub on the sway bar. If you have an ARB you won't have the resulting rub on the front of the fender well.

rennocneb

Reaction score
man im just not sure thats what it is, wish there was a way to test it easily lol. i dont have really rough tires on it they are just a good agressive all terain. would the intermediate shaft give this sorta symptom if it werent good? it looked good when i bought it, was going to get a new one but wanted it back together for the snow.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could chalk stuff underneath and see where it rubs off. Worked for me a few times

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
man im just not sure thats what it is, wish there was a way to test it easily lol. i dont have really rough tires on it they are just a good agressive all terain. would the intermediate shaft give this sorta symptom if it werent good? it looked good when i bought it, was going to get a new one but wanted it back together for the snow.

What part of Indiana are you in? If northern part/ northeast I'd offer to help you try and find the problem. I've played around with a few :icon_wink:eek:f these finding different issues .
I'm only about

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also one last point about the sway bar question, it makes this noise, albeit to a lesser extent with any amount of turning left. i was under the impression it took full lock to cause the rub on the sway bar?

It wouldonly rub at lock or near lock.

the 9oclock turn best shows where it rubs on stock bumpers or pinch. which isnt an issue with arb bumper or hammered pinch welds.

Just to recap; your getting rubbing sound no matter how much or little you turn the wheel left? does it increase in frequency as you go faster?

Alternatively, you could just drive to toms, hes poked at a few.

rennocneb

Reaction score
i chalked the sway bar last night and i do have a rub but only very near full lock. driving it to work this morning it made the noise from about the 10:30 or so position on the wheel on over turning left. One thing i have seemed to notice, it doesnt seem to make the noise at all or at least not nearly as much when in the throttle a bit, on the brakes or coasting doesnt seem to matter, so i doubt its a brake rub. it sounds like a tire rub to me because it has that sorta groaning yet pulsing sound like tread dragging over something but i dont have a rub, can the exhaust hit something and make a similar noise? would that make sense with it being at idle more often than not? If the front of the jeep is on the downhill side, so loaded more thats when it seems the worst. again no wheel vibrations, it doesnt feel loose anywhere driving it.

Tom im in Bedford, IN

rennocneb

Reaction score
the sound also seems to be about the same i havent noticed it changing much with speed, but i typically only hear it in fairly sharp(slow speed) turns. i dont get it much on the highway, i have to make one hell of an abrubt lane change to get it on the highway. At which point im more concerned about not dieing and forget to listen for a pitch change lol.