Question about front end noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FocusMiah

Reaction score
I have a 2007 liberty with 118k miles on it and have been having a hard time pinpointing a squeaking/rattling noise. The noise seems consistent with speed and gets pretty loud around 20 mph and up. It is most definitely coming from the front end and almost sounds like a wheel bearing. Also, when trying to go into 4wd I just get a grinding/loose ratting noise and 4hi will not engage. The 4wd worked last winter and this is new however the squeaking/rattling has been happening before the 4wd issue.

In the last month I have redone all the suspension and front wheel bearings. In the last week I redid brakes front and rear made sure nothing was binding shields or parking brake aren't dragging. Today I did both diffs and xfer case fluids and everything looked pretty normal although the xfer case was pretty low. After doing the fluids I took it for a test drive and still getting the same sounds along with the non working 4wd. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like my noise but it was the rear propeller shaft cv joint. I went so far to pull out the intermediate shaft of the front differential before I listened to the experts here and dropped the prop shaft (you can drive in 2 wheel drive without it).

Drop the front propeller shaft and see if that is it (rear boot will be torn too).

Then search here for the place to buy the new cv joint (drive shaft parts) and rebuild it.

FocusMiah

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick replies. I might have some bigger issues than the front drive shaft. Just pulled it and had diff fluid leaking out of the cup when removing the shaft or is this normal?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of the cup? Is it gear oil??
Doesn't sound promising, Jack the front end up and turn the wheels and see if the cup rotates and if there are any nasty noises or tight spots.

FocusMiah

Reaction score
It was gear oil. I did as you said and jacked up the front and turned the wheel no sounds or tight spots. So, I checked the front diff fluid it was fine and cleaned up the area. I ended up taking it for a small test drive without the front drive shaft and the sound is completely gone! Checked for any more drips or leaks when I got back and do not see anything. I guess this can rule out the front diff as the issue?

My question would be is there any way to tell if it would the actual drive shaft itself or the transfer case? I suppose I could pull the boot on the shaft and have a look although it is in great shape.

*edit* Nvm was no boot left on the transfer case side of the drive shaft! Got it on my workbench and it was more powdered rust than joint left. Going to order one now and hopefully fix the issue!

Last edited:

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its common for a little fluid to come out the first time it is removed.

I swore my noise was not coming from the rear of the prop shaft too. But that is where the problem was.

You will be rolling in 4WD again soon!

Members online

No members online now.