Front driveshaft CV is shot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some clicking noise coming from front on low speeds. checked, front driveshaft has some play, can't see a boot where it connects to the tcase. :(

You must be registered for see images attach

Link to driveshaft play video:
https://goo.gl/photos/ModutpDm2zjN7zJN6

Is this bad? Can I still drive / wheel it like that till I get it fixed or I'm risking major damage / getting stuck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and replace it. It isn't too difficult. Cost wise it isn't much either. You're just replacing the front part, not the shaft itself.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and replace it. It isn't too difficult. Cost wise it isn't much either. You're just replacing the front part, not the shaft itself.

Yes will do. Was planning to go off-roading this weekend about 120miles away. Think I should I cancel that ? Or there's no risk expect for some noises?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How noisy is it now?

Unbeknownst to me, I drove with a bad one for a few years, including many off road trips. LOL.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I sometimes wish I were in America. For the life of me I can't understand why we get so ***** here in Canada. Mine needs to be replaced. I can buy the parts in the states ($80 maybe for the kit?) but then an additional $50 for shipping etc. Here they ONLY sell the whole front shaft, and they want $750 for it! :favorites68:

I've watched the videos, it looks like a really quick job.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sometimes wish I were in America. For the life of me I can't understand why we get so ***** here in Canada. Mine needs to be replaced. I can buy the parts in the states ($80 maybe for the kit?) but then an additional $50 for shipping etc. Here they ONLY sell the whole front shaft, and they want $750 for it! :favorites68:

I think I just need the front CV -
Jeep Grand Cherokee Liberty 4x4 Front Drive Shaft 98-08 CV Joint Rebuild Kit | eBay

31$ delivered ;)

Reminds me of the days I lived in another country and had to pay 10x for everything, hence could only dream of owning an off road vehicle, let alone upgrading one..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes amazes me what some have to pay.Luckily with owning a Toyota in Tanzania parts are really reasonable and we don't have to pay ten times the price plus shipping etc.
BUT with that said wife forgot 2 books she needed to teach with, and a pair of shoes, cost 112.00 US to ship over, duty fees etc was another 100, ridiculous

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Most of us get our rebuild kit from driveshaftparts.com

Jeep Front Driveshaft CV Joint

It's 30 + 60 for shipping to canada

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When i ordered from them in 2013 had them send USPS. Shipping was 26 bucks. Just looked up invoice. Send them a message their website on confirming shipping price

Rebuild kits have actually dropped in price.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this bad? Can I still drive / wheel it like that till I get it fixed or I'm risking major damage / getting stuck?

Most ignore the **** out of it for years until they hear the chain jingling sound. I'd run it for one more weekend. Didn't see video blocked at work. It still looks like it has grease and not dried to dust.

If your comment about play is about rotating shaft and the "backlash" where the shaft was free to move in rotation before stopping about 20 deg, don't be. Its typical on mine and won't change even when you change the CV as in my case the transfer case is in 2WD so the only thing governing how free it is to move is front diff.

Last edited:

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here in OZ they only sell the whole shaft $1800 I was quoted. You may well get plenty of life from the cv or after about 450km of driving it might do this
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you supposed to replace them at a certain mileage or age if the vehicle. I have about 113K on my Liberty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its an easy job to replace it and doesn't take long. I wouldn't use driveshaft parts though. I went through two of theirs in under 2 months. The second one they won't replace. Just bs for what they claim is a quality part. I know others that have had bad luck as well but some that have had good luck. Seems hit or miss but if they won't stand behind it, it's a gamble.

As far as if you should go on your trip, I guess I probably would. But I like to live on the edge.:happy175:

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose if you damage it more when off-road, you could pull off the front shaft before driving home. Bring the right tools to remove it should you need to, and just hope for the best. You'd probably be fine, but better be prepared for it just in case.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose if you damage it more when off-road, you could pull off the front shaft before driving home. Bring the right tools to remove it should you need to, and just hope for the best. You'd probably be fine, but better be prepared for it just in case.

Good call..
Thanks!