2005 Jeep Liberty limited 4Hi binding/groaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cbach

Reaction score
Recently while at slow speeds turning left or right there is a groaning noise coming from the front end of the car while in 4Hi. Saw a video that said to take the front driveshaft out and drive and take turns without it and if the noise is gone it’s the transfer case. However. I have had to replace both CV axles and me being new to fixing things I did not top off the differential fluid. Anyone have a similar issue?

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
So, did you top off the diff fluids? Take the driveshaft out and try it? Were you driving on pavement with it in 4hi and having noises on sharpish turns?

Cbach

Reaction score
So, did you top off the diff fluids? Take the driveshaft out and try it? Were you driving on pavement with it in 4hi and having noises on sharpish turns?
I haven’t done anything to it quite yet. I’m getting diff fluid later today. And yes it was on pavement.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
4WD on dry pavement in a turn will cause binding in the differential, hence the noise you’re hearing. On dirt or other less stable surfaces, the wheels will slip and you shouldn’t hear the noise.