Front differential carrier compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing the 4.10 swap since I will be in the rear doing a Truetrac install. I have found a couple of 04, 4 ****** front diffs, but not sure if they would have the "part-time" 4wd feature mine has. Is there any weird electronic switch related to the part time thing that mine would have and the 4.10 carrier would not?

Over the years I have seen so many little things in vehicles that can make interchangeability a PITA. So, just want to be sure this will be a non issue if I purchase one.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any front D30A from any KJ,regardless of year or engine,will fit in any KJ regardless of year and engine.They all are the same and mount the same from '02-'07.

Now the CV axles are different between 4 bangers(gas and diesel) and the 3.7 V6 but only length wise.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part time/full time changes are in the transfer case, not the front diff. Tom Mudd and I swapped in a 4 cylinder's front AND rear diff into my '03 with no problem - fit perfectly. Only thing different in the entire swap was the driveshaft yoke on the rear diff - had to swap the U-joint style yoke from mine for the 4 cylinder's CV-style yoke.

IIRC the front diff was from an '05 and the rear from an '04....? Don't hold me to that - I don't have the paperwork anymore :emotions34:

Bob

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part time/full time changes are in the transfer case, not the front diff. Tom Mudd and I swapped in a 4 cylinder's front AND rear diff into my '03 with no problem - fit perfectly. Only thing different in the entire swap was the driveshaft yoke on the rear diff - had to swap the U-joint style yoke from mine for the 4 cylinder's CV-style yoke.

Bob

X2^^^^^^^^^^^

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I figured everything was in the t-case, but you never know with these newer vehicles today. I won't have to worry about the rear as I would be getting a new ring and pinion for that since it will be apart for the Truetrac anyway. Thanks for the input.