First time the KJ has been out of commision-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
God what a horrible day.. it started off great- waddling out to the Jeep still 3/4's dead from the sleep I just forced myself out of- windows down, cool breeze, stereo going, pick up my cousin from work- stop at the local ATM to get some funds.. all was going well.

*RECORD SCRATCH*

my oil light comes on.. so in a panic, I immediately kill the motor and let it sit for a minute, and check the oil- it reads right in the middle of the "safe" zone.. *sigh of relief*

after a bit of poking around under the hood, I notice oil dripping off the connector plug to the oil pressure sensor.. so assuming it's shot, I head over to AAP and order me another one- 50 bucks and I walk out. he gives me some plumbers tape to attempt to stop the oil seeping out of the sensor.. oook, guess I'll give it a shot.

so I mosey on over to my apartment, park the Jeep and pop the hood- my OTHER cousin walks over from apartment 1 and was wondering what I was up to. I tell him all about it, and I had some tools laying under the hood I was using, trying to get the connector off of the sensor..

becoming frustrated, I walk into the apartment and attempt to do some reading, and look up some pictures of the sensor, to get a better idea of how this thing comes off- I read that using a screwdriver to gently pry the clip up and off the sensor, and it should pull right out. *woot!*

so I grab my little flat head and walked over to the Jeep, cure in hand, ready to tackle this tedious little shit that has been causing me so much hell.

my cousin has attempted to remove the connector with the needle nose pliers- the connector is busted, the wires are showing, frayed, and tangled around eachother, completely destroyed. he even attempted turning the entire sensor to thread it out and remove it.. with the needle nose pliers..

so a bit horrified, frustrated, eyes twitching ect ect, i put the screwdriver up to the clip, gave it a small turn, and the connector came right off. :disgust:

this is where I just stopped.. I gave up. picked up my tools, shut the hood, brought my tools in the house, and shut the door.

I called the dealer, explaining to them what has just occured, and they recommended a tow.. they said they should be able to re-wire a new connector on there, and go ahead and change out the oil pressure sensor while they're at it.

he also mentioned that if the connector cannot be repaired, which is unlikely- then I'd need a new engine wiring harness, and he said plainly "you wont like the cost of that"

the tow was 40 bucks, which the truck driver said I could most likely take the reciept to my insurance place and they'd reimburse me.

so my Jeep is sitting at the dealer.. waiting for repairs. I'll be there first thing in the morning with my new sensor, and a wad of cash :disgust:

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh maaaaaan. Did you kick your cousin?

Dave

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kick Him, why kick him....???!!!!

In these situation a stick-shift would come of hand. Just pretend battery is
dead and let him push the vehicle ( 1st gear and hand brake on :icon_twisted::happy175:)

About the OP, it's a bit of a PITA but nothing that can't be solved properly...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a simple oil pressure sensor pigtail that the dealership parts department can order,maybe $20-$40 at most.Simple to fix and comes with instructions.

They can get it,they may say they can not but they can,they just need to dig a little deeper.

Midgear

Reaction score
well, I should get a call within the next 30 minutes or so to come pick up mah Jeep. They quoted me 188 dollars when I left the dealer friday (they had to order the connector to the pressure sensor, so it sat there all weekend)

hopefully the cost hasn't increased.. I really want mah Jeep back.

Midgear

Reaction score
finally getting a chance to post.. and as I figured- the cost increased.

they charged me for 2 and a half hours of work- and their labor rate is $87.95 an hour. the connector plug was 27.85, and the quart of oil I was missing cost $7.61.. I seen the total and my heart skipped a couple beats.

needless to say I'm now broke.. I did learn a valuable lesson however. If you're not comfortable with the job at hand, then send it to the shop.

and also- don't let anyone else work on your vehicle unless you're standing there watching.. unless of course it's in a shop. this whole ordeal coulda been prevented had I not walked in the house for a few minutes and left captain needle nose under the hood by himself.

total cost of this lesson: $258.54

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Midgear, I am gald you are back up and running again.
These things happen.
I know the most valuable tool I have is the downloaded FSM (factory service manual)
sitting on my desktop and notebook and on a PDF, thumb drive carried in the jeep.
Where I might find my self in a tough spot or unsure as to how to proceed, the FSM can often point you in the right direction.
I wish I had access to a lift, cause most stuff is so much easier worked on while inside and on the lift.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Midgear, I am gald you are back up and running again.
These things happen.
I know the most valuable tool I have is the downloaded FSM (factory service manual)
sitting on my desktop and notebook and on a PDF, thumb drive carried in the jeep.
Where I might find my self in a tough spot or unsure as to how to proceed, the FSM can often point you in the right direction.
I wish I had access to a lift, cause most stuff is so much easier worked on while inside and on the lift.

Have to disagree with you on this one

THE....Most valuable tool is

a little common sense

which is lacking in quite a few:shrug::shrug:

glad it back up and going once again

Latest posts

Members online