Has ANYBODY sucessfully done a manual swap on a KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willonious

Reaction score
I just picked up a beater 2004 Manual 3.7 4x4. Its really too far gone to get back on the road so I want to swap either my 2002 Sport or 2004 Limited to 5 speed manual.

I know the common response is "sell and buy a manual", so no need to post that. The hard parts should be pretty straight forward, biggest hurdle seems like it will be the computer side. What all would need to be swapped? Which would be a better candidate, the matching 2004 with similar computer and integrated TCM or the older 2002 with separate TCM?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to swap all the computers across, they are all coded together. Not sure if the diffs are different ratios? They are on the diesels, the manuals are 4.10

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think diffs are a different ratio, but I cannot say for sure. 3.55 is bouncing around my brain.

termin8ed

Reaction score
With the newer 4 connector pcm's you just have to unplug the 4th connector. Not sure on the Jtech ones but I'd try running it without the trans harness before trying a reprogrammed one

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with 04->04, and it'll be as had as how much crap you do or don't move over.
I wouldn't worry about the various modules, as you'll need to re-vin the PCM anyways, so you're looking at needing a high-er end diagnostic tool to do that.
diff ratios, I wouldn't worry about for the moment; you're a long way from worrying about the speedo being potentially off. :D