First Thing's First: Skid Plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first time out in my new (to me) 2005 KJ I bottomed out hard. I couldn't crawl under to check damage, but everything seems to work fine. I'd like to avoid potential serious damage though - and a dangerous condition for me, since I'm on o2 and it could be dangerous for me to become stranded. My research here on JeepKJ indicates the starting point for nearly all modifications is skid plates.

My primary use for this rig is to get me closer to pictures like below. I'm a wannabe landscape photographer. I'm prob'ly not going to join a 4x4 club or go rock climbing or play follow-the-leader through mud, sand, water and over fallen trees and cleaning the undercarriage with manzanita bushes. But I would like to easily traverse the many logging roads, some of which are pretty washed out, rutted and baring boulders on my way to finding my pictures. There are 4 distinct seasons here, including snow (lots of it in a good year) and I don't like being restricted.

You must be registered for see images

Where do I begin? Are there plates that cover more than one component? Which are the most critical? Can I get by with OEM 3/16" for everything, except maybe the gas tank? Is there a preferred online seller?

I'm gonna take the Jeep to my mechanic Monday to check for damage and to see if there are any skid plates already installed (I don't think it's a stock item, is it?). Guidance from any of you with experience in this area would be appreciated.

R'gards,

Jim

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're going into places where getting hung up could be a possiblity, I think you need to look into additional things, like a winch setup and possibly a locker or limited slip diff on at least one axle, as well as skids. the thing about skid plates is they'll let you scrape over something far enough to possibly get the wrong wheel(s) off the ground and lose all drive.

this is me just thinking (typing?) out loud, but given your physical situation I'd probably do the following (in order)...
* DTT rear (detroit tru trac... it's a limited slip differential)
* air/electric locker front
* full set of skids front to back (JBA's 4x Guard line maybe? it's what i'm looking at hence my suggestion)
* OME 927/947/90009/60069 lift
* Detours Backbone winch mount up front
* 9000# winch with synthetic line

I'm by no means an "expert" but it's where i'd start if I were in your position.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you just have skids and hooks you can go pretty far. With a lift you can basically go anywhere to get a picture (sure there's stuff you couldn't do but that stuff would come only when going offroading for the sport of it). I don't have lockers and I've kept up with people with them, just have to pick different lines and be ready to take a strap. A winch is great, I just got a Warn M8000 but if you're not offroading for the sake of offroading, I'm not sure I'd ever use it really.

Get skids and hooks and see where you go and what seems to limit you. Good tires go a long way.

Love that pic you posted, would love to see more-especially some with the Jeep in them later on!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd still start with skids first. JBA 4xguard is awesome or skid row skid plates. You will need front, transmission, tcase, and gas tank to start. Then rock rails/sliders depending on where you are going. I'd suggest always going with a friend just incase of the unexpected. Someone can always pull you out.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is me just thinking (typing?) out loud, but given your physical situation I'd probably do the following (in order)...
* DTT rear (detroit tru trac... it's a limited slip differential)
* air/electric locker front
* full set of skids front to back (JBA's 4x Guard line maybe? it's what i'm looking at hence my suggestion)
* OME 927/947/90009/60069 lift
* Detours Backbone winch mount up front
* 9000# winch with synthetic line

I'm by no means an "expert" but it's where i'd start if I were in your position.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That's not really a start though, that's a whole plan of mods and add-ons. :eek: My first concern is protecting the underside. A lift and other mods are on my wish list too, but subjects for future discussion. A winch... well, I don't breathe so pretty good. I got a hose in my nose 24/7. My days of getting in the position of needing a winch, let alone using one, will never arrive, unfortunately. Not sure about some of those other things - heck, I don't even know what some of them mean yet. :D

If you just have skids and hooks you can go pretty far. With a lift you can basically go anywhere to get a picture (sure there's stuff you couldn't do but that stuff would come only when going offroading for the sport of it).
That's what I'm thinking. I realize skid plates will actually reduce my ground clearance at first. I can get into the lift issues after that, which I'd like (2-3 inches, plus a little taller and wider tire would prob'ly be great for me). I hadn't thought much about hooks, but I s'pose that's a simple enough thing to do and will help facilitate getting me out of a pickle faster, if necessary.

Love that pic you posted, would love to see more-especially some with the Jeep in them later on!
Expect them. I usually try to get at least one shot of my ride in the pic when I can - just to document my sessions. I might have to revise that policy to include the Jeep for my participation on forums like this. Maybe even add a model to add character to the scene. The pic below is the trade-in I used. I do miss it. I know it prob'ly looks like a soccer mom car to most, but I beefed up the suspension, cat-back, performance mods, shaved badges, nice wheels & tires, etc. It was a sleeper (well, the exhaust gave it away).

I'd still start with skids first. JBA 4xguard is awesome or skid row skid plates. You will need front, transmission, tcase, and gas tank to start. Then rock rails/sliders depending on where you are going.
Hmmm, hadn't thought about rails/sliders. I worried about those areas yesterday when I went on my first ride and saw some a them big-ass rocks. I bookmarked a couple dealers in skid plates (Skid Row and Morris). JBA 4xGuard looked very cool, but prob'ly overkill for my needs, not to mention a major hit to the butt, right around the place I keep my wallet.

I'd suggest always going with a friend just incase of the unexpected. Someone can always pull you out.
I understand the reasoning, but it's just not practical. Not many people want to drive into remote areas only to sit around for a couple hours while I make pictures. I don't do snapshots. ;) It's not a point & shoot kinda hobby for me and it takes time. And I certainly don't mind being alone most of the time. 'Sides, most of the 4x4 enthusiasts around here are way, way younger than me and not really into the hangin' out with the old guy thing. They like havin' their pictures taken, but only if it takes less than 5 minutes. That's not the kind of photography I do. :sorrysign:

I call friends when I'm gonna be remote and let them know how much oxygen I'm carrying. They know if I don't call them by the time my o2 supply is done that I'm in trouble and they know approximately where I am. I'm not afraid of the consequences. I'm 6 years past my expiration date already. This is just a bonus. :hahano:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That's not really a start though, that's a whole plan of mods and add-ons. :eek: My first concern is protecting the underside. A lift and other mods are on my wish list too, but subjects for future discussion. A winch... well, I don't breathe so pretty good. I got a hose in my nose 24/7. My days of getting in the position of needing a winch, let alone using one, will never arrive, unfortunately. Not sure about some of those other things - heck, I don't even know what some of them mean yet. :D

Yea I know. :D I always try to look at what things should look like at the end, and walk backwards from there. I was erring on the side of caution to make sure you could get out of any trouble without waiting for help that could be some time away. If you're of the more cautious nature, then skids and tires would be the most bang for your buck to start with. If you find yourself scraping over things on a more regular basis then a lift would definitey be in order; especially considering nearly every non-freshened liberty out there sags like crazy.

I do like the other idea that was given though... make a friend with a better equipped rig and go scenic shooting together.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock skid plates and have abused them. All but the center skid have held up great (then I just replaced it with another Mopar skid for like $60 and it is still going strong). For what you plan on doing I would get some decent tires when the time comes and the stock skids. They are plenty stout to stand up to back country fire / forest roads.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim, great photo. Can't wait to see more with the Liberty modeling her pretty lines :waytogo:

I have a set of front Factory hooks with all bolts, etc. that I just took off my '03. I'm almost positive all front hooks are the same. They're yours if you want 'em for $25 plus shipping if you'd like. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Take a peak under the engine on yours. It's not unusual for run-of-the-mill KJ's to have an engine skid from the factory. It is a pretty stout skid plate for the engine - if that's already there then you just need the factory skids for the transmission and transfer case. Both are still available from here. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th items listed are the three factory skid plates. If you have to buy all three you'll be out less than $200.

A good set of AT tires (Firestone Destination AT's are a decent tire that's not too noisy on the road) would really help you out on those logging roads.

Bob

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now this is what I call great support! Thanks ever'one. The offer of hooks is intriguing, so I went outside and grabbed a few cell phone captures (don't tell anyone I'm a photographer 'cause these look like ca-ca).

Pardon my n00bishness, but I'm guessing the hooks are mounted in those 3 holes in the pics. And it looks like the bumper blank in that position would have to be cut out. If that's true, it might even be something I can do myself and get a lot of joy and satisfaction out of being able to mod my Jeep like that. I've modded a lot of stuff in my life - computer cases, home interiors and exteriors, a 65 T-bird and an 01 T&C minivan. I got the ratchets and sockets and a nice little Dremel tool that can turn that blank into something that looks like it's s'posed to.

Please tell me I'm on the right track with the hooks. :D

Jim

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You are exactly right!
If the ones you get don't have the Mbolts, you'll have to remove the bumper cover to install them. Not hard to do. I had the M bolts and I had to remove the bumper cover anyway.

Dremel would work great for the insert cutting. I think I used a utility knife.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as others have said, skids and hooks first.

Dave

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are exactly right!
If the ones you get don't have the Mbolts, you'll have to remove the bumper cover to install them. Not hard to do. I had the M bolts and I had to remove the bumper cover anyway.

Dremel would work great for the insert cutting. I think I used a utility knife.

Yep, the cover will have to come off. The hooks I took off mine are OEM from the factory so they aren't the M-bolt style - and when you see them you'll know right where the bolts go (three per hook.)

FWIW, the bumper cover comes off very easily - couple of bolts and some plastic snaps.

Bob

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I know I said the skid plates first, but I just sent Bob a PM to order his tow hooks.

I had the KJ up on the rack today and all looks very good... well, to me anyway. The mechanics inspected for wear, rust, damage, etc. There are a couple dings from possible rock hits, but nothing bad. The ****** cover has a little bend in it, but again, nothing bad. One of the mechanics seemed to know quite a bit about Libertys in particular and he is an avid 4-wheeler.

He agrees that the skid plates should be first, but worries that I will be over-confident because of them and bottom out from carelessness. He wanted me to understand that the skid plates will lower my ground clearance and thinks a lift should not be in the too distant future. I understand this concern and will try to be careful. I would like to do a 2½" lift, but I want to do it right, not cheap - but that's a discussion for another thread.

These pics aren't great, but they cover the skid plate areas. They also give you a look at the exhaust, which seems quite rusty to me. And I don't know what all those light colored areas are. I notice there are only 2 cats and a muffler when others have mentioned 3 cats. I'll start another topic on that too, because I'm gonna want to do new exhaust at some point for better power and a nicer tone.

Anyone got a favorite skid plate? I'm thinking get the Mopar ****** & transfer case plates, but get something better looking for the front plate because it will show. Style AND function. :D I'll get the tank skid plate later.

Jim

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh jeez, I'm too superstitious to quit with 13 posts and that 13th post is the 13th post to this topic. So, here's #14. A selfie of me and my other favorite ride.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Earlier models had 2 up front cats then one in front of the muffler ( 02-03s) after that only two cats and muffler
Tailpipe looks a little rusted but not bad. I'm still running stock exhaust ( except muffler) at 217,000 miles and almost 11 years of ownership
As far as skids, jeepinbyals are very well built and would be a wise choice, I am running his front, then skidrow under the engine/ trans, then Kilby gas tank skid

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! I get jealous every time I see a KJ from an area that doesn't use salt in the winter. Aside from dust and mud your Libby looks great :waytogo:

Yep, you need skids. Jbaoffroad.com has a very nice engine skid that is beefy and looks great too. He also has a ******, gas tank skid and front skid made of the same 1/4" material - really beefy and well made and the price is in line with the quality. FWIW the skids won't reduce ground clearance by much at all.

The KJ has the two CATs just downstream from the exhaust manifolds - both of them are monitored by the onboard computer via sensors. There is a third just in front of the muffler that is not monitored that many just remove it.

There are very good lift kits from JBA that run about $850 for springs and shocks that will lift you a couple of inches - give you some ground clearance without getting up so high you feel like you need larger tires too.

Tow hooks on the way!

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As tom said your exhaust doesnt look too bad. That is all surface rust which is normal because it is not ss. I am also running all stock exhaust but the muffler. Have been doing so for a year now. I use high heat spray paint by rustoleum to keep the entire exhaust rust free.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My undercarrige maybe a little dirty but thats just dirt. Only thing i never painted is obvious in the pictures the drive shaft.

You must be registered for see images attach

And yes i painted the dif cover silver i am getting a new one in a few weeks.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Earlier models had 2 up front cats then one in front of the muffler ( 02-03s) after that only two cats and muffler.
Good to know nothing's amiss.
...jeepinbyals are very well built and would be a wise choice, I am running his front, then skidrow under the engine/ trans, then Kilby gas tank skid
I like the look of that front guard at JBAoffroad. It can be mounted to the JBA engine skid or the Skid Row engine skid plate. The JBAs look to be a little less money than the Skid Rows, but I can't tell if one of the plates at JBA covers the transfer case, or if they don't have one for that.

Kilby plates have to be painted or powder coated. The gas tank plate is pretty large and would expose me to too much paint - they only come raw, not finished. And they aren't in stock right now.

Dang! I get jealous every time I see a KJ from an area that doesn't use salt in the winter. Aside from dust and mud your Libby looks great :waytogo:
I'm pretty jazzed at the condition under there.
There are very good lift kits from JBA that run about $850 for springs and shocks that will lift you a couple of inches - give you some ground clearance without getting up so high you feel like you need larger tires too.
Although I don't plan to lift beyond 2½", I definitely want the bigger, badder tires. I don't want to remove any of the inner fenders, but bending the pinch weld over would be okay. I'm thinkin' 31" diameter or less would do that.

Jim

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am biased towards the general grabber at2s cheap and effective. Its the only set of all terrain tires i have ever owned so not much to compare to.