Skid plates - what else while I'm at it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will_K

Reaction score
Now I've got myself a full set of skid plates. I have a front suspension skid place installed, but I'm wondering if maybe I should go back to the salvage yard and grab the trans crossmember so I have properly installed inserts for the transmission skid plate and the front of the transfer case skid plate, leaving me just needing to figure out the rear inserts for the transfer case skid plate.

So I'm wondering what else might be prudent while I'm at it. I think this is going to be a project for when the Liberty goes back to backup vehicle status. Seems like this might be time to do anything like dropping the transmission pan for a fluid and filter change, maybe new seals anywhere I can that isn't too difficult - so the question from me is what is that list?

Also while I'm grabbing the trans crossmember, any other parts that might be in better shape than mine? trans mount might be a "why not" since it probably is included with the crossmember.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cross member why ?
Drill a couple of holes and be done , easy fast and it works great

Will_K

Reaction score
Part of the answer might just be that I like going into junkyards and disassembling things. It's fun. Any excuse to do it.

It's $12.99 for a trans crossmember. I have the factory bolts. In short, it's reasonably simple, quick and easy plus it's less opportunity to screw something up. I mean, when I install, I'm going to be doing this on a 4 post lift, all I need to do is support the trans and I can do that with a 4x4 post

Using the OEM configuration I have something that I know is in the correct location and has survived years without rusting into place or fracturing during disassembly. Alot of my hobby has been on 1955-6 Fords and Mercurys. I don't take those things for granted.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess you can always grab the rear door microswitch, rear wiper motors, window regulators, leather seats, sun shade, coils.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Part of the answer might just be that I like going into junkyards and disassembling things. It's fun. Any excuse to do it.

It's $12.99 for a trans crossmember. I have the factory bolts. In short, it's reasonably simple, quick and easy plus it's less opportunity to screw something up. I mean, when I install, I'm going to be doing this on a 4 post lift, all I need to do is support the trans and I can do that with a 4x4 post

Using the OEM configuration I have something that I know is in the correct location and has survived years without rusting into place or fracturing during disassembly. Alot of my hobby has been on 1955-6 Fords and Mercurys. I don't take those things for granted.
Yes I drilled my crossmember in early 2005 on my new 2004 , guess what it lasted longer , WAY LONGER , than ones I installed with correct skid /crossmember with the cheap a^^ rivnuts , since it was way stronger
well last being drug over rocks/ trees for over 17 years until I sold it
my hobby 32 Fords, 55 Chevys, various 4X4 including Dodge van and F150 on 38s and Harleys , every one had holes drilled where factory never had them LOL
A Jeeps not yours until you drill that first hole in it , my quote years ago

Will_K

Reaction score
Well maybe I should clarify, the part of the question I was probably needing to know more is about if there are any preventative maintenance procedures I should plan for on the underside of my own vehicle while I'm down there if I go to the effort of changing the trans crossmember and installing the skid plates. (It's probably the same question if it's just the skid plates anyway)

The other parts I can probably get whenever I need if it comes up, there's at least 20 cars to pick from between the 4 salvage yards at any given time. Full set of good leather seats I already have and installed.

I did go back and grab that trans crossmember today - I also needed a valve cover for my F-150 because one of the ignition coil ears broke off on mine. I thought the valve cover was going to be the hard part but somebody just left one sitting on top of the engine after getting out some other timing parts. The crossmember wasn't bad except that one of the 4 nuts for the trans mount had turned corners, so I just unbolted the mount from the trans instead. Whether I need it or it's in any better shape than mine, I have a crossmember and a trans mount, and along with the valve cover - plus a few screws and small parts - All for $27.

This particular vehicle was a 2006 Renegade. Real mess underneath, probably the trans blew fluid all over.

The other Renegade was a 2002 that I got side steps and a light bar. Not even 4x4! The body is pristine on it. I'm probably going to have to go back with a sawzall and cut out rocker panels. I grabbed the dash switch for the light bar, at this point short of an ARB front bumper showing up in the junkyard I don't think there's much else I could get that I didn't already grab.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want good leather seats find a 02 to 04 Limited , 05 to 07s are terrible one reason I traded my 05 Limited off was the seats
If you ever do find a ARB, then full OME suspension will be needed 2790 springs up front etc

20 cars to pick from? Thought you were working on a Jeep Liberty ??

Will_K

Reaction score
If you want good leather seats find a 02 to 04 Limited , 05 to 07s are terrible one reason I traded my 05 Limited off was the seats
If you ever do find a ARB, then full OME suspension will be needed 2790 springs up front etc

Wut, your salvage yard pickings are slim?

US Auto in Sterling heights currently has an inventory showing 17 KJ Liberty and 8 KK, the breakdown is 4x 2002 Liberty, 2x 2003, 3x 2005, 3x 2005, 3x 2006 and 2x 2007. Every single one has a 3.7 engine, they have pictures of the front end and if you follow them on Facebook. Their prices are a little higher than the other 3 u-pick but they refresh inventory the most - whatever is left of their cars gets cleared out 2 months later and a new row is placed. They divide into imports, Mopar cars, Mopar truck/suv, FoMoCo cars, FoMoCo truck/SOV and GM cars and GM trucks/suv

U-Pull and Save in Pontiac is the next best and their prices are lower. It's a little less visited, they refresh less frequently and don't put everything on Facebook. They recently got 5 Kj Liberty in, which is more than their average update. They post full build sheets on their web page. The lot is like a factory floor that got leveled and the gravel is saturated with oil, but I've gotten some decent stuff there. The lower frequency of customers helps the more desirable parts to actually still be there until I come along. They currently have 9 KJ (3x 2002, 1x 2004, 2x 2006 and 2x 2007) of which 2 are "renegade" - I don't actually get the whole deal with configuration because the renegade vehicles show it in the build sheet but don't actually have the hood, one didn't have the rooftop light bar or the attachments. I think one of the cars might be an aniversary edition because it has Jeep embroidered in the seat back, not an aftermarket cover. Anyway, they also post photos of the cars from the exterior from the 4 corners.

I also frequent Ryan's Pick A Part in Detroit. They just post inventory with 1 picture and sometimes the picture is missing. They currently have 5 KJ liberty, 4 of them came in at the same time a month ago. One of them is a Renegade and last time I was there it still had the hood. It's an interesting yard because they have a couple rows of older cars too mostly 50's 60's and 70's. Usually those cars are clear basket cases that probably got sold off by befuddled family from estates of guys who thought they'd get to it one day, and most of those don't have pics on the web site. Ryan's pick a part tends to be fairly busy.

And then there's Parts Galore. They currently have 9 KJ. They update their inventory the least but they stay busy. Probably the lowest prices. No pictures on their website, just make model and year. And they have a truck section, an suv section, then sections by manufacturer - and the Liberties are scattered between both the SUV and Chrysler section. They might have the biggest lot, but again it probably has to do with them keeping their inventory the longest.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What's the difference in the seats? I have an 05 limited, and the drivers seat left thigh bolster is cracking, but the rest of the seats are perfect. are there any good aftermarket seats out there? how about good seat covers that actually stay in place and are comfortable and are actually made out of leather?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the difference in the seats? I have an 05 limited, and the drivers seat left thigh bolster is cracking, but the rest of the seats are perfect. are there any good aftermarket seats out there? how about good seat covers that actually stay in place and are comfortable and are actually made out of leather?
I'm just going to get my side bolsters repaired, 20 years of sliding ass has taken its toll!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.