First Thing's First: Skid Plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the JBA Offroad KJ Engine/Trans Guard 9 days ago and the order status still says "processing." Should I be worried that this hasn't been shipped yet, or does JBA take more time than the average auto parts supplier to send stuff out? I don't want to call or email the company if this is normal behavior.

Of course, I know there are many fans of this company, so some of you will be offering your testimonials. Before you do, please realize I ordered from them because of previous testimonials. No one has mentioned anything about shipping times or delays though. That's all I'm concerned about.

Thanks,

Jim

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shipping was fast. Give marlin a call to find out what's up. He will be more than happy to help.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shipping was fast. Give marlin a call to find out what's up. He will be more than happy to help.

X2

Marlin (the owner) is usually the guy who answers the phone. I'd guess that he's backordered - seems there's a lot of people ordering armor from him recently.

Bob

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I called JBA Offroad that Monday afternoon, and learned they close at 4:30PM, so I called again the next day. Spoke with Marlin and he said there was a delay and the skid plate should be shipped in a week or 10 days. So, I called again today, 13 days later, and was told the skid plate is being powder coated and should ship out by the end of the week.

If it does ship by Friday, that makes the processing time more than 4 weeks after the order was placed and my credit card was processed. This is a real disappointment. This is just one of several parts I am interested in ordering from them (more skid plates and probably a adjustable coilover lift kit).

This might not bother me so much had I known the part was not in stock, or that my credit card would be charged so far in advance of shipment (many companies now charge only when shipping). I prob'ly should have cancelled the order when I found out the part was so delayed, but the promise that it was coming soon keeps me hanging on. The company and the parts have received so many good reports here and on other forums, it's a shame those reports didn't also mention long delays in fulfillment.

So, I wait again, at least until Friday to know if the last assurance will be honored.

Jim

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I called JBA Offroad that Monday afternoon, and learned they close at 4:30PM, so I called again the next day. Spoke with Marlin and he said there was a delay and the skid plate should be shipped in a week or 10 days. So, I called again today, 13 days later, and was told the skid plate is being powder coated and should ship out by the end of the week.

If it does ship by Friday, that makes the processing time more than 4 weeks after the order was placed and my credit card was processed. This is a real disappointment. This is just one of several parts I am interested in ordering from them (more skid plates and probably a adjustable coilover lift kit).

This might not bother me so much had I known the part was not in stock, or that my credit card would be charged so far in advance of shipment (many companies now charge only when shipping). I prob'ly should have cancelled the order when I found out the part was so delayed, but the promise that it was coming soon keeps me hanging on. The company and the parts have received so many good reports here and on other forums, it's a shame those reports didn't also mention long delays in fulfillment.

So, I wait again, at least until Friday to know if the last assurance will be honored.

Jim

Was trying to be good and not answer but just couldn't
Think about this for a moment
Marlin who owns JBA runs a small metal fabrication company that just happens to also make and sell IFS suspension parts and accessories.
So when he makes an item such as say a engine skid, they will make 10-15. So that maybe a one or two day run of that one item , then the parts go out to be powdercoated, packaged and ready for shipment. SO if you order between times of them making etc it just may take a few more days to get. He tries to not be below at least 2-3 in stock before he schedules new ones to be built. Its one of those supply and demand, he may sell 12 this week and then none for a month. He takes pride in his customer service .
So places like say Kilby who built the best ever gas tank skid now no longer makes them due to demand, we have smaller places like JBA turning out our products. We drive vehicles where demand for anything is small compared to a JK or TJ. If you want parts next day drive one of them , open a book, open your checkbook and have it next day.
So in the end, yes your wait has been longer than the norm,
BUT you will be getting one of the best , if not the best product out there available today for the KJ.
Plus the fact he has been out some due to medical reasons so that I am sure has delayed things somewhat.
You're buying a great product, patience is a virtue ya know

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree that the card shouldn't have been charged until delivery was at least close. Not like if J Mac were to cancel in the interim another person wouldn't be in awe of their quick shipment time a week later.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL funny
Oh well
But back to ordering things from companies
Wife had me order some things from Macys, JC Penney and some other clothes place
Credit card was processed on all of them right off the bat even though some items were on back order for several weeks etc .
2 places on low rent Amazon charged me and took 60 days to return my money even when they didn't have the product in stock and would not have any more
( one of the reasons I don't deal with Amazon )
So in the end, I'm happy we have at least a couple of great places for our KJs ( jeepinbyal and BoulderBars ( ALLJs with their frankenlift)

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the skid plate that was supposed to ship last Friday didn't... again. I called mid-day Tuesday to ask about it and was told he "hoped they would get shipped out later this week." I'm not accustomed to doing business like that - this was the third delay and it was already more than a month after I ordered the part. I cancelled the order.

I've no doubt Marlin has a lot of satisfied customers. I had a flooring business for years and had many satisfied customers. But unfortunately, every once in a while one slips through the cracks. I'm sure this isn't a first for Marlin and I am equally sure he will go on to stack up many more satisfied customers.

My second choice for skid plates is Skid Row. I'll be checking stock in the morning and place an order. I am still determined to get quality armor under my KJ, one piece at a time.

Jim

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the KJ to the shop for an oil change today. I asked the mechanic to mount the Skid Row transfer case skid plate, but he didn't. He said he preferred to wait until I have all the skid plates so he can make sure all the holes line up.

I don't think there are any holes because the Jeep didn't come with stock skid plates. My feeling is he just didn't want to figure it out. Should I be the slightest bit irritated that he made an excuse not to mount this plate? If it wasn't for my health condition, I think I could do it myself (it may take a helper to position it to mark where the holes go).

Maybe this is the kinda thing where I will have to rely on a shop that works primarily on 4x4 vehicles. The closest one would be in Reno, 80 miles away, but if that's what I have to do...

Disappointing.

This does bring up another question though: Has anyone here used the PML 42RLE Transmission Pan AND the Skid Row Engine and Transmission Skid Plate? Do they fit? I called PML and they told me the pan is a tight fit, but does work on my KJ. She did not know if the Skid Row plate would fit without some kind of shims. The PML pan is about 3/4" taller than stock.

Jim

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smart on his part actually. If there has to be drilling or modification you will want the whole set

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple extra washers on the bolts might need longer bolts but you can make it work regardless

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like someone else said if there is one that needs drilling or may have a half inch that needs to go over another one. Your guy is trying to save you money he could install one then when the other one goes on have to remove the one he just put on. Taking time and money and might have to drill new holes time time time. We all know time is money.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like he didn't want to mess with them.
I've had everything on mine from SkidRow, 4X Guard, stock Mopar etc and have removed / switched/ relocated/ reinstalled them all many times. All it took was loosen one and install the other etc.
Jim , wish you were closer to me, I'd have you in and out so fast you'd be getting out as I was telling you I was done and you could leave now :happy175::icon_lol:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he didn't want to mess with them.
I've had everything on mine from SkidRow, 4X Guard, stock Mopar etc and have removed / switched/ relocated/ reinstalled them all many times. All it took was loosen one and install the other etc.
Jim , wish you were closer to me, I'd have you in and out so fast you'd be getting out as I was telling you I was done and you could leave now :happy175::icon_lol:

I'll take Jim's place :gr_grin: :party52:

Bob

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm reviving an old thread, but I guess it's okay, since it's my own and it's still on-topic.

A few months ago, I had the transfer case skid plate installed. This was done by a local mechanic I have gone to quite a bit for the last many years. The actual work was done by a young guy who seems to prefer working on 4X4s. He had to do some minor modifications to make this skid plate work, including welding in a couple of nuts.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

As you can see, he also installed a new transmission pan. So, when he finished and I was snapping these photos, I realized there was no paint over-spray where he did the grinding and welding. I thought I should have been able to see it, so I asked about it. He readily admitted that he did not use any paint or any other rust prevention method. I asked him to agree to remedy that the next time I came in for an oil change (it was already 5PM and I didn't want to make him stay late).

Now it's time for that oil change. I dropped by there a couple days ago and he was the only one there. He said he'd leave a note with the office manager to schedule the oil change and a free tire rotation special they are doing. I reminded him of the rust issue and offered to bring in a can of black Rustoleum.

The office manager called me later that day to put me on the schedule. When I listed what was to be done, she kind of balked at the removing the skid plate to spray paint a couple of spots. She didn't give me a firm "no" but I think there's going to be some resistance from her and the boss, saying it's not necessary.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that spraying those bare metal spots when they were doing the installation would have been the least a pro would do. This isn't thick steel frame members that might take a lifetime to rust through. These are thin metal areas that should be protected from rust. And since there are only 3 bolts to remove (he told me why the 4th wasn't used and it sounded reasonable, but I forget now what the excuse was), it should be an easy task to remove the bolts, grind away any surface rust and spray. Let the paint dry while he does the oil change, then reinstall the plate.

Am I being picky? Is this not the problem I am envisioning? Should I let it slide?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy said he was gonna do it hold him to his word that simple. she may have been dismissive because it is such a small task like you shoukd do it yourself. I disagree if i am paying for a job and you are setting me up for problems down the line you should fix it.

Latest posts

Members online