DIY Front Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll start you off with some photos of my KK with the front bumper off.

You must be registered for see images attach

The ATH bumper lines up just beneath the grille so you can see what height you’re looking at above the crossmember.

Also you can tell the bumper has wings below the turn signals that rise up above the level of the center section.

On the KK the turn signals are attached to the OEM plastic bumper. ATH makes brackets to fasten them to the Jeep unibody instead, so they become independent of the bumper.

Oh and FYI that is an ATH front recovery system installed on mine. Unfortunately not made anymore. But I believe the mounting strategy you see here is similar to his bumper. There are backing plates with nuts that go inside the frame channels, with bolts up from the bottom as well as straight through the front of the crossmember with backing plates behind.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Sort of see what it looks like
my 04 going from a ARB to the Matrix from JBA, waiting on the Rock Lizard to arrive

welro

Reaction score

Sort of see what it looks like
my 04 going from a ARB to the Matrix from JBA, waiting on the Rock Lizard to arrive
I like the look a lot. How long did it take you to install?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

One on the 03 as well , and it is strong , took out a Buck at 60 plus MPH , this is afterwards

welro

Reaction score
I found the KJ on this site and the KK is from the ATH install; I blended them by trying to line up bumpers, specially lining up the channels that are used by ARB. The ATH KK lines up close to the KJ.

Attachments

• KK KJ composit.jpg
    KK KJ composit.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 13

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I found the KJ on this site and the KK is from the ATH install; I blended them by trying to line up bumpers, specially lining up the channels that are used by ARB. The ATH KK lines up close to the KJ.
Thanks for all this. Your work is making mine easier!

welro

Reaction score
Hi Everyone; Here is what Morgan at ATH said
Thank you for your interest and reaching out. I have not tried installing a KK winch bumper on a KJ unfortunately. The unibody/frame is the same with the mounting holes but that is about where it ends. The bumper fits on a KK with very little clearance around the radiator, under the grille and turn signals, so if there is any difference at all it will not fit. Sorry I can't give a better answer but I just haven't ever messed with KJ's and tried test fitting.

Thanks again
Morgan
What does everyone think? Yes/no need to modify fenders.... Let me know

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fenders need cutting on the KK too when installing the ATH bumper. Question is, are you looking at cutting the bottom of the grille, and having to move the turn signals up if it’s high? Or will you have a wide gap between bumper and grille if the bumper sits low? I think you need to pull the plastic bumper and measure, and then do similar measurements on a KK.

welro

Reaction score
Fenders need cutting on the KK too when installing the ATH bumper. Question is, are you looking at cutting the bottom of the grille, and having to move the turn signals up if it’s high? Or will you have a wide gap between bumper and grille if the bumper sits low? I think you need to pull the plastic bumper and measure, and then do similar measurements on a KK.
I have the same thoughts but what is it we are looking to measure? With what Morgan has said on the unibody and mounting holes being the same but that's about it. I am not sure what needs measured. When I line up the two in the composites on my GIMP and fade them in and out the only thing i see on the KJ that seems it might be a problem is the metal bracket holding the grill(see the KJ and KK pictures). I did find on car and driver comparisions on dimensions between an 07KJ and 10KK

2007KJ
https://www.caranddriver.com/jeep/liberty/specs/2007/jeep_liberty_jeep-liberty_2007/284882

This is the 2010
https://www.caranddriver.com/jeep/liberty/specs/2010/jeep_liberty_jeep-liberty_2010/317278

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score

welro

Reaction score
This one mounts to he same points as the stock recovery hooks. There are a number of these on the market. It is intended for use with the stock bumper only.

Winch wiring is about the same across the board and the instructions are generally included with the winch.
Thanks for the feedback Labrat. Could you point me to some of the others, if I can get one here in the U.S. I would prefer to do that.