DIY Front Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

808inthe949

Reaction score
Shackles are mounted with two g8 bolts through the bumper and a 1/4 plate welded to the back of the bumper. Bolt goes through the spacer and into the shackle holding it to the bumper. Then I double passed the seams of the shackles and the plate behind the bumper.
I'm sure if it's going to tear it will be on the first tug.
I'm debating anchoring to a tree and throwing it in reverse to test the bumper and see if she rips apart.

welro

Reaction score
Spent the last two weekends making a bumper for my liberty. I could only find ARB that sells one and judging from posts on here there's not a lot of options. I opted to try and make one that was a kind of mix between two styles that I like. I know I'll face some criticisms with this one. I'm not a pro welder as I'm sure many will see in pics I can post. I do have some mig, and tig training/experience that was in a shop but in my home garage I only have a 110 outlet ,so am limited to fluxcore. I wasn't sure how to build the way it mounts to the unibody as I'm not a structural expert by any means, but I gave it whack anyhow. I just hope it doesn't tear apart the first time it gets yanked on as I probably won't be the one in danger. Don't want anyone getting hurt getting my simple head out of the muck.
I can post pics now (still have to paint, mount turn signals, and light bar) or I can post pics when it's all done. Unless everyone's tired of people's half thought bumpers ending up on the internet, then I'll just keep it to myself

Idk what the silver bar that goes across the front of my jeep is that is pinch welded to the unibody. I would call is a front bumper reinforcement bar or something like that.
You must be registered for see images attach
The thingy man you know! Lol
I was under it today and am thinking along the same line as you with a bar that goes against that reinforcement thingy across the front with a few added bolts. Seems the easiest way to secure it in addition to running through the unibody tubing . Looking at pics of a Libby with the ARB I can almost see the tabs running to that bar on the inside, so something similar to that.
I'm not exactly sure which springs I bought (guess I could search for the email receipt) but I know I went with the second from the heaviest for the front (I think the heaviest is strictly CRD or a real brick gas hog) and the middle rated one for the rear (have 4600 billsteins in rear, but don't plan to tow much if at all)
I'd love to add a winch when the funds come, but as with most things it shall wait.
I am in the process of building an 05 CRD. Bumpers are an issue finding but I was thinking of modifying one. I have seen where others on Youtube are putting two inch tube in Unibody tubing. I can not
I do not know what the ARB mounts look like (guess I should have really looked over the dimensions or at least inner photos to see frame work) but I mounted by sandwiching the unibody rail through the center with a 2.5x3 square bar and a 1/4 bottom plate using grade 8 bolts. Started with cardboard ideas.
Then made the mounting brackets from bumper to new" frame rails" (now sticking out of unibody frame holes) using 3/16 diamond plate. Connected The square tube rails with 1 1/4 round tubing. Added two gussets on outer edges made from 3/16 steel plate for inner support. Outer shell is all made with 3/16 sheet metal. Gonna use 3/8 Amber led clearance lights as turn signals.

I'm sure the shell is as thick as it needs to be if not a bit thicker. Weighs almost 100lbs with shackles and led bar. Debating doing a bull bar and what shape it would be.

Finished my shackle mounts earlier and got the bumper ready for paint and lights tomorrow.
Can also take more pictures of inside woods, gussets and better mount photos. Should I tack wild it to the unibody for added rigidity or is it not necessary with the 4 grade 8 bolts I'm using?
Should I put some 1.5-2.5" holes in the lower front edge by radiator?
Will be doing holes in the skid plate in that area. Post photos of that tomorrow too
I am looking at modifying a bumper. Do you remember the distance between the tubes you mounted? I am not going to take my 05 apart until May but would like to know those dimensions to see if there is a bumper I could weld tubing too. Thank you

808inthe949

Reaction score
Werlo- I had to cut the frame horn holes (probably not what it's really called) the open the hole up and it allowed me to fit the square tubing inside. I believe my distance from the inner edges of the holes were 35".
I'm still in vacation in Hawaii and return home on the 8th. I can give more accurate measurements after.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Learned a lot from this thread. Currently doing a diy myself and found this thread invaluable. My previous attempts and adaptations all looked awful. Ninth times a charm!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The frame horns JUST need trimmed a little bit inside to make the square is all
once you remove the "ash trays" you can clearly see what you have to trim
Must do that for the ARB as well

welro

Reaction score
Werlo- I had to cut the frame horn holes (probably not what it's really called) the open the hole up and it allowed me to fit the square tubing inside. I believe my distance from the inner edges of the holes were 35".
I'm still in vacation in Hawaii and return home on the 8th. I can give more accurate measurements after.
Thanks for the reply. I think I have it covered, enjoy your vacation. I rough measured(about 35") from underneath. I think am going to open those holes, use pintle hitches since they the plates on them and bolt them in; then I will bolt a JK bumper on; Might have to make an adapter if everything doesn't line up but it will work. I am going buy the 07 JK Rock Rage 99306.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I think I have it covered, enjoy your vacation. I rough measured(about 35") from underneath. I think am going to open those holes, use pintle hitches since they the plates on them and bolt them in; then I will bolt a JK bumper on; Might have to make an adapter if everything doesn't line up but it will work. I am going buy the 07 JK Rock Rage 99306.
You are going to have to trim some off of any wrangler bumper or it just ends up looking like a fat lip hanging out there
wrangler fronts are flat across the front, KJs are not exactly
have never seen one done right yet sadly

Where else are you bolting it in at ? Just on the pintle plates only ? If you install a winch and on a hard pull, stand back
Also you will have to weld plates/ w nuts on the pintle hitches to have somewhere for the bolts to come up through the frame to bolt them on

Just some thoughts on what I have seen and tried when designing my front and rear bumpers

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
As I measure for mock ups I’m seeing and end to end length of 62”. I tried out a wrangler bumper I got used of the same length- still seemed “off”

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As I measure for mock ups I’m seeing and end to end length of 62”. I tried out a wrangler bumper I got used of the same length- still seemed “off”
They all ( Wrangler bumpers ) seem " off " to me, just my opinion
Just do not have the right look and even look like you're photoshopping a nice pair of women's lips on a pig LOL
Never even liked the Rock Lizard bumper 100% for the 02-04s , it was not exactly the look that goes well overall
You want something that compliments the KJ stance and look

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes always liked ATHs bumpers
They would work with a little modifications on the 05-07s I think

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes always liked ATHs bumpers
They would work with a little modifications on the 05-07s I think
I’ve thought so too. The turn signals on the 05-07 KJ’s are in roughly the same place as on the KK. And of course the mounting location is identical under the skin.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
They all ( Wrangler bumpers ) seem " off " to me, just my opinion
Just do not have the right look and even look like you're photoshopping a nice pair of women's lips on a pig LOL
Never even liked the Rock Lizard bumper 100% for the 02-04s , it was not exactly the look that goes well overall
You want something that compliments the KJ stance and look
Agreed.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Tom & LabRat, how are you with the look of an ATH bumper on a KK?

I wonder if one of these could be adapted for the KJ?
This looks like a hybrid cross between the ARB design and a pre-runner design to me. I like the approach this bumper creates.
I'm not a fan of this one piece design. In my mind for this style I would prefer a three piece modular so that wings could be replaced/repaired since they are the most common impact areas. I've read how many folks are not a fan of the exposed IFS, but I personally feel overall function is far more important that looks.
The tricky part is which KJ you have. The late ones have the straight-line profile under the grille similar to the KK pictured, whereas the earlier ones have the step between the lights and the bottom edge of the grille.

I have seen quite a few adaptations as I scoured the web where folks had bumpers on KJs that overlapped the grille by as much as 50%. That is a non-starter for me as having to drop the bumper to get to stuff is not cool.

Aesthetically, I think the bumper pictured looks great on this KK even though the KK headlamp assemblies really bother the c.rap out of me.;)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Aesthetically, I think the bumper pictured looks great on this KK even though the KK headlamp assemblies really bother the c.rap out of me.;)
I agree that the bumper looks great. I'd love the headlights if the only part with the shiny reflector was the round sections. As it is, well... to each his own.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
A few weeks back I reached out to these guys as their bumpers use a plug and play design- they have a bunch of various sizes and designs on the shelf without mounts, as they are ordered they just weld on what is needed for the specific vehicles and ship them out. They had very good customer service and a fast response time. Fella told me they have no KJ or KK compatible versions and were not interested in adding them to their inventory' yet they were willing to send me an appropriately sized model without mounts...which is a fair option if one has access to the appropriate equipment and skills...

Ultimately though, for their price range I felt I was better off building my own with a shop locally since my welding skills are limited to sheet metal and other basic stuff.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Elite Ford Ranger Modular Plain with BAJA ends​

from AFFORDABLE OFFROAD , Looks like a pretty good starting point
Not expensive in a way, but with needing other mods it is expensive

The WAM bumpers are huge , have seen one on a KJ at Butler Pa Jeep Fest , not a good look at all
Plus it was on a clapped out low rider KJ with stacked springs

welro

Reaction score
You are going to have to trim some off of any wrangler bumper or it just ends up looking like a fat lip hanging out there
wrangler fronts are flat across the front, KJs are not exactly
have never seen one done right yet sadly

Where else are you bolting it in at ? Just on the pintle plates only ? If you install a winch and on a hard pull, stand back
Also you will have to weld plates/ w nuts on the pintle hitches to have somewhere for the bolts to come up through the frame to bolt them on

Just some thoughts on what I have seen and tried when designing my front and rear bumpers
I was down at a 4 x 4 shop today measuring they are saying to look at the short JKs as the the mounts are wider. I have the question on how to secure for using a winch to these very helpful gentleman.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Members online