DIY Front Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

welro

Reaction score
I was down at a 4 x 4 shop today measuring they are saying to look at the short JKs as the the mounts are wider. I have the question on how to secure for using a winch to these very helpful gentleman.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
They replied back that they bolted the angle iron to the unibody. I am figuring since I have a few months and my son is working on his welding certs. I will come up with a workable solution that looks good. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Short JKs ?????????? There are no short JKs , frames are the same
Sounds like you are getting information that many of us already know and have posted
We posted you would have to slide angle or tube back into the front of the frame
I highly suggest you again look at how an ARB mounts

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I was down at a 4 x 4 shop today measuring they are saying to look at the short JKs as the the mounts are wider. I have the question on how to secure for using a winch to these very helpful gentleman.
This is a pretty extreme mod for a bumper. In many states such work wouldn’t be street legal.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Funny and sad to watch, so many huge NO's
Insurance Company would love them if they ever got into a wreck
Yeah, that vid made my skin crawl. There’s a pretty good one on YouTube that uses the body sockets and 2x2 steel I’ll post up when these students get done failing their test in Org chemistry.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
This one seems a bit less destructive to the vehicle. It does assume you have your own shop, but his method of building the starting point: the body junctions and main plate (or winch plate if one desires) seems a bit more safety friendly. From what I have read here and elsewhere this is similar to how the ARB hooks up I am guessing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried to locate my ARB file but could not access it so found the above
Does not show it in entirety, but you sort of get the idea

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes as you can see its not just held on by a couple of small 3/8 inch bolts
I have seen enough bumpers pulled off and ruined
Even seen a front tow hook on a KJ torn off, pulled right off
But when you connect everything together helps a lot

welro

Reaction score
I actually bought an ARB thruogh a shop but the shop mis ordered the year. Now ARB will not commit to a real date for an 05 and they said they may not make anymore of them. I am to check back in March for an update. So given I do want to build this CRD with a bumper and Winch I am really interested in everyone's input. I really appreciate the input Tom on the bolting it together. As well as Labrat's comments, looking forward to the video.

welro

Reaction score
I’ve thought so too. The turn signals on the 05-07 KJ’s are in roughly the same place as on the KK. And of course the mounting location is identical under the skin.
Hey Tom in my pursuit of a bumper, do you think these would bolt up correctly so as not have the bumper rip off. Per your other comments on modifying a JK bumper. What Modifications do you think they would need to make them work. I am open to any possibilty and I am more than willing to pay for a true workable solution.

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I actually bought an ARB thruogh a shop but the shop mis ordered the year. Now ARB will not commit to a real date for an 05 and they said they may not make anymore of them. I am to check back in March for an update. So given I do want to build this CRD with a bumper and Winch I am really interested in everyone's input. I really appreciate the input Tom on the bolting it together. As well as Labrat's comments, looking forward to the video.
Yeah, looks like only way to get an ARB is to find a used one. I too was told they aren’t making any more for KJs.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

welro

Reaction score

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never seen one installed on a KJ. The KK and KJ front crossmembers are exactly the same under the oem bumper/grille. What I don’t know is what height the steel bumper will end up being relative to your fenders, turn signals, and grille. I don’t know how much trimming you would have to do. If you do go for it, you’d be blazing the trail for other KJ owners who want a great quality steel bumper but can’t get one from ARB anymore. And ATH makes a great product and you’d be supporting a USA small business.

If I were you I would scour the internet for KJ and KK photos with the front bumper and grille off, compare them to each other, and compare to the photos on ATH’s website. You might be able to figure out whether it’s reasonable with your eye-chrometer. ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would contact ATH first thing, great guy to deal with
But ask him, bet he could tell you right off what would have to be modified
I know years ago he looked at building a KJ bumper but gave up
I would not buy one expecting it to just bolt right on , since it will not, due to issue lhoward mentioned above

welro

Reaction score
I have never seen one installed on a KJ. The KK and KJ front crossmembers are exactly the same under the oem bumper/grille. What I don’t know is what height the steel bumper will end up being relative to your fenders, turn signals, and grille. I don’t know how much trimming you would have to do. If you do go for it, you’d be blazing the trail for other KJ owners who want a great quality steel bumper but can’t get one from ARB anymore. And ATH makes a great product and you’d be supporting a USA small business.

If I were you I would scour the internet for KJ and KK photos with the front bumper and grille off, compare them to each other, and compare to the photos on ATH’s website. You might be able to figure out whether it’s reasonable with your eye-chrometer.

I did talk to these guys(https://www.bluelakeoffroad.com) they need an 05 for 8 weeks to design one but are willing to do it. So if someone can drop off their KJ for two months they will roll one out for us. I would but I live in North Idaho.

I will hit the internet and update you all as I go. Thanks for all the input, anybody have anything else to add please do.

Latest posts

Members online