Detroit Axle Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have luck with Detroit Axle parts?
I'm wanting to replace both front LCAs, sway bar end links, and both LBJs
All come with a 10 year unlimited warranty and total to about $240 so I don't see why I shouldn't try them out
Also, how hard/what tools would be needed to get this done?
Really not wanting this to be difficult considering it'd probably be close to $1,500 or more to have a shop do it all (I was quoted $400 for ONE LCA with LBJ and installation)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody have luck with Detroit Axle parts?
I'm wanting to replace both front LCAs, sway bar end links, and both LBJs
All come with a 10 year unlimited warranty and total to about $240 so I don't see why I shouldn't try them out
Also, how hard/what tools would be needed to get this done?
Really not wanting this to be difficult considering it'd probably be close to $1,500 or more to have a shop do it all (I was quoted $400 for ONE LCA with LBJ and installation)

Really cheap for sure
Sway Bar links and lower ball joints are a couple of things I want the best of not the cheapest , which it would seem those would have to be.

I would assume that LCAs are LCAs so wouldn't see how they could be made much cheaper but there is always a way
I love some of these 10 year / lifetime warranty BS parts they put out anymore , most people will never keep anything 10 years so they don't have to worry about any comebacks

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really cheap for sure
Sway Bar links and lower ball joints are a couple of things I want the best of not the cheapest , which it would seem those would have to be.

I would assume that LCAs are LCAs so wouldn't see how they could be made much cheaper but there is always a way
I love some of these 10 year / lifetime warranty BS parts they put out anymore , most people will never keep anything 10 years so they don't have to worry about any comebacks

We'll see later down the road what I decide to do
Right now though, I really want to get both LBJs replaced
I contacted one place that quoted me $500 and another $800 :happy175:
Yet I got quoted $317 for one LCA, LBJ, and labor costs from the same place that is trying to say it'd be $800 for two ball joints
Doesn't make any sense at all
I'd do it myself before I spent more on two ball joints than I did my lift
What's a fair price to have them both done?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is Mopar the only good option for LCAs or is Moog ok too?

End links, just get them new, I've had better luck with Oreilly ones than Moog ones. But for LCAs maybe if Mopar is the only good type, find some with 50k miles or less from a junkyard. Still probably have a good 100k left in them.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
We'll see later down the road what I decide to do
Right now though, I really want to get both LBJs replaced
I contacted one place that quoted me $500 and another $800 :happy175:
Yet I got quoted $317 for one LCA, LBJ, and labor costs from the same place that is trying to say it'd be $800 for two ball joints
Doesn't make any sense at all
I'd do it myself before I spent more on two ball joints than I did my lift
What's a fair price to have them both done?

How much for LBJs ??
Wow what do they charge per hour?
I know overhead etc but 800 for two ball joints LOL

Tell ya what bring it down and leave it for a couple of hours, I'll do lower ball joints for just half of what they wanted !:gr_grin:

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much for LBJs ??
Wow what do they charge per hour?
I know overhead etc but 800 for two ball joints LOL

Tell ya what bring it down and leave it for a couple of hours, I'll do lower ball joints for just half of what they wanted !:gr_grin:

On the first quote I got for the $317 (LCA factored into this quote as well) the Moog grease able by itself was about $140 with labor included
Yet when I asked how much it'd be for only the LBJs to be done the guy tries to quote me $800
That makes no logical sense
If I can get the LCA and LBJ replaced for $317 then how is it $800 for just two LBJs???

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the first quote I got for the $317 (LCA factored into this quote as well) the Moog grease able by itself was about $140 with labor included
Yet when I asked how much it'd be for only the LBJs to be done the guy tries to quote me $800
That makes no logical sense
If I can get the LCA and LBJ replaced for $317 then how is it $800 for just two LBJs???

Quality of parts used.

Your average mark-up for parts at shops is around 150%-200% so expect the MOOG K3199 LBJ's(the ones you want) will run at a shop for around $120-$150 each. The book labor is 2.4 hours to replace both LBJ's,the total labor cost will vary since shops will have different labor rates. Finally you should have a alignment done and that ranges from $50-$80 again depending on the shop.

So using high quality parts at a good shop both fron LBJ's and swaybar end links will run $800+ on a KJ.

Using cheap parts will result in a much cheaper price and of course will not last.

I have yet to see any aftermarket bushing last for more then a year or two in a KJ. I'm a 20 year ASE Master Tech.