cv axle help which parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lifted2renegade

Reaction score
Ok so on the trail today in 4 low when I was turning my jeep started making a clicking sound front the front driver side axle area I think its the CV joint so I need to order a new one I don't want a kit to rebuild but when looking for parts I'm seeing one called a half axle cv shaft for a little under 50 and one they call a prop shaft/CV axle shaft for 300 the one for 50 looks like the one I need but other more experienced jeepers shed some light....its for the driver side on a 2002 jeep liberty renegade with a 3.7l and 4wd what do you think I need also any special tools?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off stay away from flebay for this. Check out this thread. Very easy to do. Just a socket set ,a screwdriver, needle nose pliers and a hammer will get you through this.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-front-driveshaft-change-driveshaft-head-47161/
He's looking for a CV axle not the front driveshaft.

As far as getting a good CV axle go to Napa and get a remaned CV axle,do not buy a "new" CV axle unless it's a new CV axle from the dealership.

"NEW" = made in china

"remaned" = remaned OE CV axle so it will be the correct length

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's looking for a CV axle not the front driveshaft.

As far as getting a good CV axle go to Napa and get a remaned CV axle,do not buy a "new" CV axle unless it's a new CV axle from the dealership.

"NEW" = made in china

"remaned" = remaned OE CV axle so it will be the correct length

Oh Whoops! Kinda tired haha

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
To the OP
the others are talking about the front driveshaft
sounds like you are talking about the left side CV
Go to NAPA and get a remanned one, they work, they fit correctly ( unlike Auto*one etc )
60 bucks or so with exchange

lifted2renegade

Reaction score
Ok so I just need what they call the half shaft not the 300 dollar one I'm gonna go to Napa but still a little unsure as to which one I need it sounds like its the half and looks like the part I need....probly shouldn't of waited to fix my cracked boot and kept it out of the mud til I did I'm thinking that caused it to fail withing 3 weeks of a small lift

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the old one off go to NAPA exchange it for a reman if not they will charge you for a core deposit and you will have to go back anyway. Then you will also know your getting the correct part and will save you from making two trips. Once water gets in or the lost of grease it's not Going to last long.