Creaks, clunks, and pops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattw

Reaction score
I had my engine swapped out for a rebuilt about 60 days ago in my 02 3.6L. This was done by an independent guy and since then I've had a difficult time getting him on the phone.

The engine itself seems great and I don't think there is any issues with the engine itself. My problem is that since then I have numerous creaks, clunks, and pops, all coming from the front end.

Here's what I know:

1. Mostly happen at low speed.
2. Happen when turning, or going straight over bumps.
3. Happens in forward and reverse.
4. Does not happen when sitting still and turning wheel back and forth.
5. Jacked up the front and tried moving everything I could and didn't see any play and didn't hear any noises.
6. If I drive forward, stop the vehicle, and then put it in reverse with foot on the brake, I can hear a pop (like metal moving against metal). Same thing the other way (drive reverse, stop, and put in drive with foot on brake).

I'm wondering if this mechanic had to unhook parts of my suspension to do the engine replacement? If so, what parts? That seems like a good place to start looking.

Any tips on how to track this down, specific ways to test individual suspension components would be much appreciated.

Note that prior to engine swap out, I just had an occasional creak. I do know that I am do to change out the struts/springs and will do that very soon.

mattw

Reaction score
More info...

No vertical play or horizontal play at wheel when I have it jacked up (jack under lower control arm).

All the boots on ball joints look good with no visible wear, tear, grease, etc.

Any ideas? I don't consider my a great mechanic, but I can follow directions. If I could just get it to make noise on jack that would be very helpful...but so far I can't do it.

Anyone give me some other tests I can use to check out common causes of clunks and pops?

jlday70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grab your drive shaft and see if it has any play, if you are getting clunks when you switch from forward to reverse, you may have a bad U-joint.
I am not sure about Liberties but my F-150 had a bad Ujoint and made a similar sound, which I didn't know was my driveshaft at the time and had it blow on me at 65 MPH on the interstate. not a fun experience limping a full size pickup home in front wheel drive.

mattw

Reaction score
Grab your drive shaft and see if it has any play, if you are getting clunks when you switch from forward to reverse, you may have a bad U-joint.
I am not sure about Liberties but my F-150 had a bad Ujoint and made a similar sound, which I didn't know was my driveshaft at the time and had it blow on me at 65 MPH on the interstate. not a fun experience limping a full size pickup home in front wheel drive.

I will check this out...thanks!

Another update...been trying things to replicate noises and if I stand on the brakes and give it gas (in forward or reverse) I can here it creak and then clunk/pop. definitely sounds like something around the wheels moving in and out of place and clunking/popping when it moves. The clunk/pop is definitely connected to the weight of the vehicle moving and not the changing of gears.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Front driveshaft has two CV joints. Still can make quite a bit of noise but maybe not quite "clunking".