Couple questions about doing front CV Axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing both front CV axles and intermediate shaft. The axles I'm getting reman'd from Napa.

The intermediate shaft is available from Crown for $80 or Omix-ADA for $125ish.

1. Is Crown fine or should I spend the extra for an Omix-ADA?
  2. Should I pick up seals and bearings?
  3. How difficult are the seals/bearings to remove/install?
  4. Will the rent-able tools from Autozone/AdvanceAuto do the job or do I need the specific tools listed in the service manual from the dealer?
  5. Anything else I should replace while it's apart?
  6. If I open up my UCA pockets to allow more drop should I run limiting straps?

All bushings (except for steering rack), ball joints, wheel hubs have been replaced in last 4 months.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm replacing both front CV axles and intermediate shaft. The axles I'm getting reman'd from Napa.

The intermediate shaft is available from Crown for $80 or Omix-ADA for $125ish.
BOTH PRETTY MUCH THE SAME MAYBE SAME MANUFACTURER
  1. Is Crown fine or should I spend the extra for an Omix-ADA?
  2. Should I pick up seals and bearings?
    HAVE ANY LEAKS NOW? i'VE REPLACED MANY AND DIDN'T REPLACE THE SEALS WITH NO ISSUES. YOU MEAN WHEEL BEARINGS ?
  3. How difficult are the seals/bearings to remove/install?
    SEALS CAN BE A BIT OF A PITA
  4. Will the rent-able tools from Autozone/AdvanceAuto do the job or do I need the specific tools listed in the service manual from the dealer?NEVER SEEN WHAT THE SERVICE MANUAL SAYS LOL I HAVE SEAL PULLERS ETC
  5. Anything else I should replace while it's apart?
  6. If I open up my UCA pockets to allow more drop should I run limiting straps? NO NEED TO OPEN THE POCKETS UP ANYMORE, NOT GAINING ANYTHING REALLY, ALL I DO ANYMORE IS BEAT THE EDGE OVER TO MORE OR LESS MAKE A "BED" FOR THE UCA TO LAY IN WHEN FULLY DTOPPED. THERE HAVE BEEN ISSUES WHEN PEOPLE OPENED UP AND HAD CV BINDING ISSUES LIKE I DID ON THE 04 AT TIMES

All bushings (except for steering rack), ball joints, wheel hubs have been replaced in last 4 months.

1. OK

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think he means the bearings right at the ends of the diff tubes behind the seals.
Just leave them if they're not making noise.

Only tool you may need to rent is a 36mm socket, everything else is regular stuff.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That little bearing is a tricky to get to behind that seal. Let sleeping dogs lie if it's not a problem.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just rent a pilot bearing removal tool. The bearing and seal will come out in a. Couple of tugs. Any up and down movement from the inner CV where it goes into the differential the bear is gone.
Mine had the nylon bearing. It was shot. Replaced with the metal needle style bearing. Took all of 15 min to get it out and put back in.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he means the bearings right at the ends of the diff tubes behind the seals.
Just leave them if they're not making noise.

The stock plastic bushings are unlikely to make noise... but they get plenty sloppy and the inner CV shaft hops up and down.

I punched them out with a socket and long extension... with the r&p & carrier removed.

Last edited:

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just rent a pilot bearing removal tool. The bearing and seal will come out in a. Couple of tugs. Any up and down movement from the inner CV where it goes into the differential the bear is gone.
Mine had the nylon bearing. It was shot. Replaced with the metal needle style bearing. Took all of 15 min to get it out and put back in.

Am I able to remove it without taking the diff/gears out?

I'll check again tonight after work if I have any up/down movement.

The drivers side is pretty tight with no movement when I checked it last. The pasenger side has some in(towards diff)/out (towards wheel) movement but no up (to the sky) or down (to the ground).

I also have clunking sound over bumps which I believe is the intermediate shaft. I thought it was my d-rings on the backbone but i removed them and still had the noise.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. You do not have to remove the diff cover. The Inner axel will most likely be seized to the CV shaft. So it will pull right out when you pull the CV axle.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up the axles from Napa this morning and ups dropped off the intermediate shaft last night.
You must be registered for see images attach

KJ_Liverpool

Reaction score
Just did mine . . . .

I just did both front drive shafts.

I know there's a lot of opinions
about drive shafts, but I choose
new ones from Autozone. With
a discount they had, I got them
for $60 each and no core charge.

They match exactly and time will
tell if I made the right decision.
But . . . . they have a lifetime
warranty, so I will just replace
them with the same if there's
a problem.

I also choose to do the seals.
Drivers side is easy because
if a seal puller doesn't work,
the outside lip of the seal
is accessible to pry.

Passenger side seal is in a
recess, so it's difficult. There's
a post here where someone
took two days to get one off
and maybe damaged the case.

I used a slide hammer. My
slide hammer has a screw
attachment to replace the
thumb screw on a vice grip.
Screwed that into my favorite
vice grips from 1976, gripped
onto the seal, and a couple of
pounds and it popped out.

I have 2 slide hammers (5lb
and 10lb) and I rarely use them,
but when they're needed, I am
glad I have them.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
NAPA averages 40-60 , and no core charge if you take the old ones back.
With as many issues as people had over the years not worth taking the chance on any parts stores like the Zones.
Warranty doesn't pay for my time and aggravation

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up the axles from Napa this morning and ups dropped off the intermediate shaft last night.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is exactlly what my next step is for my maintenance checklist. I really hope it solves the wheel shake , vibrations at speed and eliminates the clunks.

For the intermediate shaft - I seen one on rock auto called an axle shaft for $130 I think? I was going to grab the cv shafts there too but warranty seems like a pita. So maybe try napa see how bad they charge me

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the passenger side with intermediate shaft today. Really isn't too bad of a job with the jba coilovers. The axle and shaft were stuck together but came out with a good pull.

Held off on the bearings /seals as I believe they're still good.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw do you think you could post a link to the intermediate shaft for me? I'm having trouble finding one local. Thanks

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same one but I ordered from Amazon since I have prime. A lot quiter now. No more front end clunk over bumps. Still need to do driver side.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same one but I ordered from Amazon since I have prime. A lot quiter now. No more front end clunk over bumps. Still need to do driver side.

Im excited to see if I get the same result as you , it's been driving me nuts for weeks. Good to hear you're up and running clunk-free!