Complete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
2004 jeep liberty renegade with 3.7 standard trans

So i changed my drivers side cv axel last year with no problem aside the axel nut being stubborn. But this spring i had my passenger side one give out. So I got it all apart. And when I pulled on the CV axle I could see the intermediate shaft ( if that's what they call it on this vehicle) was coming out with CV axle. So I stopped in fear of gears or bearing rings falling out of place and not being able to line them back up, by just shoving the shaft back in.
Ive tried tapping with hammer even cut the old boot to let the grease out and make a slide hammer out if its still stuck . Questions i have
1. So if i pull this shaft all the way out and dislodge it from the cv axel onthe work bench . Will this drop parts out of aliment inside, or will i be able to just slide it back in like nothing happened?
2. Im realy not in a safe lifing spot as i have a lumpy dirt driveway , so lifting up both sides of front seems dangerous and tippy , so I don't think i will be able to disassemble the other side to install a c clip or whatever is supposed to hold it from the other side. So any ideas or experience with this would be great , ive never had the intermediate axle come out or want to come out. It was either the CV axle was stuck in place or it came out easy.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intermediate shaft often comes out with the axle and can be pushed back in without disassembly. A new Intermediate shaft should be used with a new axle anyway. Check the bearing and seal while you are in there. If you need to separate shaft from cv, put shaft in a vise and pry the cv off with a pry bar.

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
Thanks very helpful . I will note the intermediate shaft and bearings to be changed later this summer

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use an old intermediate shaft with new axle it could likely wreck the new axle, they should be replaced at the same time. I wish I would have done my bearing and seal while mine was already apart, but if you don't mind taking it apart again later that's cool.

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
If you use an old intermediate shaft with new axle it could likely wreck the new axle, they should be replaced at the same time. I wish I would have done my bearing and seal while mine was already apart, but if you don't mind taking it apart again later that's cool.
Yes i get that but not in the budget atm and its just staying inthe yard after assembled anyways needs other work done and its not my daily driver. Thanks for the advice

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
So turns out all my local parts stores told me this part is discontinued and unavailable. they told me to check for it at auto wreckers i have a used one in good shape lol so obviously new is going to be hard to come by from here on out but its pushing 20 so

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my last one off Amazon, crown automotive still makes them I think

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put "jeep kj intermediate shaft" into the Google machine and got numerous hits.

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
Only if ur willing to risk money or wrong parts showing up, shipping wrong parts back, tariffs, scams and have credit cards. I Never said anything about online, only reputable businesses you can walk into.

Latest posts

Members online