Cheaper to lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 sport is 80000 miles old, and saggy, with original parts on her. I don't have the mullah quite yet, but was window shopping anyway on the net. I was looking at auto zones website and to replace the shocks, struts, and springs, its going to be between 600 and 800, but went to the rustys offroad site and saw a 2.5" lift on sale for 400. whats up with that? Am I missing something?

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I priced that Rusty's kit too before being steered clear finally ordering ARB Old Man Emu springs and Bilstein shocks... many thanks to kind souls here (and the LIFT STICKY post - a good read) the decision was pretty easy based on people's testimonials of actual installation and regular use.

The Rusty's spring kit at $400 does not include front struts so you have to use your old bagged original factory strut. The springs and rear shocks included are apparently not of equivalent quality to parts recommended in the LIFT STICKY post like ARB OME, Rancho or Bilstein.

For $600-$800 you could easily build a decent lift with quality aftermarket components, just an example:

OME Springs $75-$79 each at www.jeepinbyal.com or www.rocky-road.com

Bilstein front struts F4-BE5-D916-H0 for $90-$91 at
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=485131
http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make='JEEP'&model='Liberty (KJ)'&year='2002'

Bilstein rear shocks F4-BE5-6458-H7 for $80
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=15052
http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make='JEEP'&model='Wrangler (YJ)'&year='1986'

Figure a total of around $300 for OME springs and then $340 for Bilstein struts & shocks and you still have money left for labour or other lift components if you have a spring compressor and some time on your hands.

(Or you could drive to Ohio and ask one of the gurus there to get some quality garage time, some might work for beer I hear...)

:party52:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Drive to Ohio :happy175: is there anyone there ?
Yep stay away from Rustys spring rate is the same as stock and will sag worse than grandma in a matter on months
If you save up and do it right , it will ride and handle far better than it did even new and thats on the road or off
Only one time to do it right !

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kinda what I thought. Get what you pay for type thing. Ive read a little on the lift section and everyone seems to have strong opinions about the best lift. I was just curious about the price on rustys site. I thought I read that it did come with new springs. Maybe I read it wrong. Anyway, I'm not there financially yet. Just starting to scratch the surface of research. But it appears that it will cost the same to lift as it would to replace and stay stock.

Interesting.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your intentions? Do you want the normal 3 inch or so lift or do you want a more stock height? They do have "stock" length OME springs too. It will put you back to stock height or maybe a little higher.

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would absolutely love to lift it. I love the look of all your lifted jeeps. Ive just been waiting for some cash, and the sag, and bumps I feel in the road, compared to when I bought it, are kinda getting to me now. And like I said before, the need for a new suspension is now on my plate, so I'm starting to go over some options. I'm just surprised that stock and lift are about the same price.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to OME springs will make the KJ handle and ride way better than new
for example mine where I used to live I had two sets of railroad tracks to go over about a mile apart. Each day coming and going I had to slow down due to bottoming out, and this was with less than 20,000 miles. Could not even attempt to go across them at 50-55. After I lifted it with 927s/948s when I went across those same tracks I stayed at my normal 55-60 and never hardly felt them. So much better all around

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm not there financially yet. Just starting to scratch the surface of research. But it appears that it will cost the same to lift as it would to replace and stay stock.

Interesting.

This sounds entirely too familiar... It sounds like you are in exactly the same boat I am. I just bought new tires so Idon't want to lift it just yet, but the factory suspension (107k) is starting to bottom out.

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oooo... Thats something I didn't think about. I have 30k+ on my General ATX's and they still look new. I put them on 2 years ago. I rotate them regularly and keep up with alignments. I would guess I have another year or more left in them. I cant remember the exact size right now with out looking, but I think they are 235 70 16. They look cool as it sits now, but I bet they will look small and stupid if I lift it. So I can add another 600 to my lift price. Crap. Now looking at about 1200 to 1400. Double crap.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sell your old tires
I've had 6 different sizes/kinds on mine and
I haven't worn a set out yet,
I buy another size ( bigger of course) and sell the old ones
I just checked and I can't find any rules or regulations that state you must wear out your tire before buying new :shrug::happy175:

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sell your old tires
I just checked and I can't find any rules or regulations that state you must wear out your tire before buying new :shrug::happy175:

That's because my wife keeps the "Official" rule book locked in the glove box of her Wrangler... It states that her Jeep will be getting new tires before I go replacing my one-month-old Coopers.

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My official rules are to squeeze every last worth of use of anything I have to spend my own money on. Just take a look at my socks. But selling the old ones sounds like a good idea.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My official rules are to squeeze every last worth of use of anything I have to spend my own money on. Just take a look at my socks. But selling the old ones sounds like a good idea.
I replace well before anything is worn out,saves big money in the long run that way.

I junk my tires when I get to 10/32" tread depth,affects there performance when that wornout.Then again my tires generally start with 19/32"-21/32" of tread so I get plenty of use out of them.

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replace well before anything is worn out,saves big money in the long run that way.

Better advice is hard to come by... I evidently had to make the mistake atleast one more time and smacked into my wife's Jeep sliding down the driveway a month a go. I was putting off getting tires to research the lifts available... Now the money for the lift gets to go towards bodywork.:pp:

Opt

Reaction score
They do have "stock" length OME springs too. It will put you back to stock height or maybe a little higher.

Is this accurate? My wife doesn't want a lift on her KJ... and I just can't see spending money on OEM springs. I would love to find better than stock **quality** springs that would bring me back to an original or slightly higher stance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this accurate? My wife doesn't want a lift on her KJ... and I just can't see spending money on OEM springs. I would love to find better than stock **quality** springs that would bring me back to an original or slightly higher stance.

OME does have more like stock rating springs. They are the 925s rated at 350 lb.. Stock is 310. So a little better ride and handling than stock.
For the rear the lighter duties are 947s
They'll give you a little lift

Opt

Reaction score
I knew OME made the 925 & 947's, but was under the impression that even though they are similar to stock ratings, they were physically longer than OEM. Maybe I misunderstood?

I’m sitting at 130k km’s… it’s definitely time to replace the shocks, and am sold on going with Blisteins, but I just can’t get her to take the leap with a lift. (and I can’t stomach buying OEM springs) Right now when I measure from center of wheel to bottom fender flare I’m at 18.5” on the front, and have an occasional slight rub on max turn while in reverse with stock sized tires. ( Notice it more with the Hakkapeliitta winter tires than the Revo’s. )

This is looking more and more like one of those times where it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Or perhaps.... ahem... I just don't understand it... they were suppose to be the same height as factory :shrug:

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow this for stock vs. lifted ARB assistance for their springs and shocks:

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/accessorizeYourRig/jeepLibertyKJ.pdf

And check the lift threads (or Canadian forum ;) ) for other Canadians replacing springs and shocks with OME/Bilstein. Linked a little spreadsheet in PDF there that might answer some questions about stock vs lifted travel.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47666

Went through the exact same dilemma as you back when the wife had this Liberty since new - so I just bought her another SUV to mall-crawl and was done with that... :whip::whip:

If she's as short as my wife might want to consider staying close to stock and putting skid plates ? (Or getting her a stepladder at Walmart heheh :happy175: )

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on guys worrying about the spouse being able to get in? :disgust:
My Mother who is 78 years old, has had both knees replaced in the last three years gets in mine all of the time. And not bragging but mines up somewhat higher than most ( middle of wheel to bottom of flare 23.75 plus the 265-75s ) So if she can do it so can your wives !!:happy175:

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Follow this for stock vs. lifted ARB assistance for their springs and shocks:

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/accessorizeYourRig/jeepLibertyKJ.pdf

I

the above is almost a joke even if it is from ARB we all know that you get more lift from them than 1.5 inches, or at least anyone who has installed any at all
So take it with a grain of salt
The 925s should give you a little more than the 1.5 inches
OMEs are not that much longer as they are made with heavier wire to hold the weight. Rustys for example appear to be longer but in fact are rated at the same as stock

Latest posts

Members online