OME in Canada

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Canada. Where is the best place to get OME springs and some good shocks for my 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7l? My current OEM suspension is almost in need of replacement and in the near future I would like to replace it with something decent.

Thanks.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Kyle, I sourced my springs through Brandon at North Shore Off Road , www.nsor.com in Vancouver. $225 a pair shipped DHL to my door. If you're in BC that could be a decent supplier. There's also OuiPak in Quebec, www.arbcanada.com . Check the Canada thread in the international section.

I sourced my shocks through the local Bumper-to-Bumper, I paid $110 each for the Rancho RSX17505 last spring. The rear Rancho shocks I bought at CanadianTire when they were on sale.

I've also sourced some bushings and isolators through www.moparonlineparts.com Shipping was steep but the parts were in my hand within the week and cost per part was WAAAAAYYYYY less than through the already generous dealer here.

Good luck

Ian

Last edited:

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm in Sask so I don't think it matters which one of those I order from.

One thing I am confused on is the type of shocks to go with. Brand name I don't care about as long as it is a good shock. I'm not sure if I need regular liberty shocks or what. I have read that some people use durango shocks. I have also read that some use dakota shocks. I just want something that goes good with OME HD springs.

Thanks again.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on www.arbcanada.com for their pricing alone and friendly service. Unless you have a trusted National or 4x4 shop close to home shipping is always an issue wherever you go.

Searched in vain for Rancho RSX shocks but they're harder and harder to get in Canada or even US now that they're discontinued... so Bilstein it is. Best price I found for Bilstein shocks in Canada was at Essex in BC. www.bilsteincanada.com.

Assuming you are lifting then you might go with the following...

The front strut part number BE5-D916-H0 was $106 CAD each when I ordered a few weeks ago. The rear shock I ordered was for a Dakota BE5-A702-H0 at $88 CAD. Many also use a lifted YJ shock F4-BE5-6458-H7 or a Durango shock F4-BE5-2790-H0. They're all around the same price - I just got the ones I did because they were readily in stock and no wait so everything would ship together. (They had a free Canada wide shipping promo so didn't want to miss it, maybe check to see if they still do).

Be sure to follow the OME app guide depending on what you hope to do with the new springs and suspension...
http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/accessorizeYourRig/jeepLibertyKJ.pdf

(PS - also attached my shock shopping guide with stats from last month's adventure, which lists some shocks for if you're not lifted, hope we were of some help!)

Last edited:

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Those part #'s helped some. One question though. I noticed the part # for the Durango shocks that you gave me is for a 2003 Durango. The 2005 Durango uses a different # than the 2003. Will the '05 ones be required for my '05 Liberty?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
97-04 Dakota 4 WD
and
98-03 Durango 4WD works
so no you do not have to use 05 they are different
The above are the correct length and mounting for lifted KJs

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom has done a boatload of these lifts with those components - many here run the same gear and he's right you have to be sure to use correct lengths and most importantly mounting (most parts found on these forums for rears are 12mm 1 5/8 mounts AFAIK) so no surprises on the upper or lower bolts...

If in doubt or if your vendor is using the new Bilstein part numbers check for yourself:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/BilsteinAppGuide308.pdf

I'm pretty sure places like www.bilsteincanada.com and www.shockwarehouse.com or www.allshocks.com all still use the old part numbers so just a matter of getting your price.

(Or if you decide to go with OME shocks or manage to find Ranchos, there are lots of folks here running those too so no lack of help or opinions).

Good to see yet another Canuck lifting!

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the benefit for going with bilstein shocks over OME shocks?

Not much apparently, some here have said they ride about the same - have not tried either yet so can't confirm. At arbcanada you could probably get a good price on springs you decide on, and package OME NS131 front struts and the N132 (or long travel N132-L for lifted) rear shocks... Tony over there could make it a one stop shop so less hassle shipping stuff from several sources. At first glance prices are about the same before you start PST/HST/GST and shipping.

The Aussies run this ARB OME stuff a lot offroad and they're pretty ardent trail folks, plenty here are running them too and I'm sure they'd chime in it's good gear.

I ordered Bilsteins based on price at the time, free shipping promo and family experiences with them on Audi... but would just as easily gone OME. Hopefully when all the bits and pieces get here next month or so will let you know... LibertyTC is ordering almost the exact same setup as well right now from out in BC and has dealt with distributors out West in US and Canada and will probably be lifted with all these components before long... (or before me it's cold as heck here again for awhile).

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK things are starting to make sense now. So if I went with the long travel OME rear shocks, what is required to lift 3"? I understand that I will need bump stops on the rear. On the front will I need spacers to make it the same height as the rear?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use hockey pucks for the bump stops in the rear. Search the "how-to" section, there's a lot of good info in there. Up front. place 2" conduit nuts (Rona, HomeDepot and even CanadianTire carries them) between the top of the clevis and the bottom of the shock. You can get trim plates/spacer plates for the top of the shock/spring assembly that sandwick between the body and the top of the upper spring plate.

You'll need new bumpstops for the front too. Terraflex seems to be the only aftermarket support we get for those. If you don't get extended bumpstops up front you'll likely get contact between the UCA and the UCA mounting pocket structure when the front compresses. I did and it chews bushings up to no end and makes a god awful racket too.

Where are you in Sask? I go to Moose Jaw from Cold Lake often enough. I could stop in and let you drool a little over my KJ. It would also be nice to meet someone else with a lifted KJ. As far as I know, and from what I've been told by some of the clubs in Edmonton and Lloydminister I'm the only dude between here and Edmonton/Saskatoon with a lifted Libby.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Saskatoon. That does sound like a fair bit of work. I may just go with regular length OME shocks with some OME springs. I just put on some brand new a/t tires and I do not want to lift too high or else my stock size tires will look very small in comparison. Who knows though. I probably won't be doing this until summer or fall.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Talking about Teraflex, I just got of the phone directly to them 1-801.288.2585 and two # 1903200 front bump stops are being shipped to me Via United Postal Priority Mail (no brokerage fees) $46 plus shipping. Should have them real quick. None of this waiting 5 weeks BS.
38282[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

And Ready to play with .."Hockey Pucks"
38284[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• BumpStop1903200.jpg
    BumpStop1903200.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepRearBumpStops.jpg
    JeepRearBumpStops.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good tip. Direct from Teraflex no waiting and no UPS (would have dealt with jba if I needed other stuff but...) Cha-ching.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok last question. I've done lots of reading about lifting the kj and I am confused on one thing. I want to use OME springs and not lift above the 1.5" that you get with the springs. I want to go with bilstein shocks because they have free shipping. Do I go with front and rear shocks for a liberty or do I go with front standard sized shocks and rear dakota/durango shocks?

I've also read a few posts about using extended bump stops with the regular 1.5" OME lift. Would that mean the teraflex extended on the front and 1 hockey puck on the rear?

Thanks again.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok last question. I've done lots of reading about lifting the kj and I am confused on one thing. I want to use OME springs and not lift above the 1.5" that you get with the springs. I want to go with bilstein shocks because they have free shipping. Do I go with front and rear shocks for a liberty or do I go with front standard sized shocks and rear dakota/durango shocks?

I've also read a few posts about using extended bump stops with the regular 1.5" OME lift. Would that mean the teraflex extended on the front and 1 hockey puck on the rear?

Thanks again.

Don't use the stock shocks or stock length shocks I should say, use the extended, again you'll get more than 1.5 inches, that height is pure BS really for insurance purposes only. and yes on the teraflex in front a nd TWO hockey pucks per side in the rear

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When Lifting with OME Springs you need the rear lifted shocks only and stock spec for KJ front.
To clarify Bilstein part number F4-BE5-D916-HO is Front Shock KJ
Rear shock I am using -F4-BE5-A702-HO for OME lifted...(Dakota 02-04 Crew 4x4 spec)
38383[/ATTACH]"]

Most of our Kj's with stock suspension has sagged greatly. Before and after, you can measure from the center of the wheel hub to fender flare, then you will know how much lift you got. I am expecting 3-4 inches over my sagged condition, but I am also going with one extra iso pad for rear, and Boilers 3/8" shims to hopefully level the front nicely.

Attachments

• BilsteinShocks1.jpg
    BilsteinShocks1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0