Cannot get howl from RF to go away.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be upfront right away.. I've done both front hubs, replaced the RF axle seal, drained and refilled the front diff, LF UCA, both outer and RF inner tie rod, aligned, just to name a few. I've replaced the rear UCA and am replacing both rear LCA's tomorrow since the ass end has been dancing around a lot lately and the bushings have a good bit of play.

At about 45 MPH I can hear a very audible howl that sounds like it's in the RF of the KJ. Any other speed above or below that it's not there. I've been so damn stumped and it's really starting to get me. Any ideas or previous experience? Haven't really found much searching for it. I've put a decent bit of money into this Jeep so far and I don't want to just throw parts at it.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta pull the CV and check the intermediate shaft to make sure the splines aren't rounded off.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to check the diff. That sort of howl at that speed can indicate that one of the diff bearings is on its way out. I had a howl at that speed from the rear in Germany a few weeks ago. Above that speed or below it quietened down. I've just had to have the rear diff entirely rebuilt by the dealer. The pinion bearing had started to go.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta pull the CV and check the intermediate shaft to make sure the splines aren't rounded off.

That'll be what I check next then... I'm having a hard time tracking down the part itself at work... No one lists it, I'll try and call and see what they say.

You might want to check the diff. That sort of howl at that speed can indicate that one of the diff bearings is on its way out. I had a howl at that speed from the rear in Germany a few weeks ago. Above that speed or below it quietened down. I've just had to have the rear diff entirely rebuilt by the dealer. The pinion bearing had started to go.

It's definitely not the rear, it's very distinctly in the front. Likewise, I have been debating on buying a rear axle and rebuilding that and swapping it over once it's done.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't there an outer axle bearing? I think mine's been bad. I get CV clicks around turns and the CV and intermediate shaft are brand new.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're running out of parts that could be bad. ;)
Below is my new and old intermediate shaft. The cv hub it's attached to was flopping (could easily rock it up and down by hand), and was making an awful noise.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant that you might want to drop the diff cover and have a look at the state of the diff itself.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the intermediate shaft go by any other name? I've been searching like crazy to find this part in my works database and no one lists it as the intermediate axle shaft. I did toss in both rear LCA's today and it's WAY more stable and wanders a lot less.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ob, I believe you're a tire guy also, certainly don't mean to insult, but the howl isn't in any way tire wear pattern related is it?

Bob

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ob, I believe you're a tire guy also, certainly don't mean to insult, but the howl isn't in any way tire wear pattern related is it?

Bob

Definitely not. I rotate religiously (3,000 miles) every oil change. Tire noise is definitely not a part of the issue because it's minimal at best with the experience I've had with these tires. The noise does increase when turning left, telling me it's on the right. Funny how it doesn't make much, if any noise up until 45 MPH. After that if I hit a left turn it will reveal itself then go away when straight or right turns. I mean, unless I got a defective bearing (I hope not because I do a ton of business with Parts Plus here) I'm hoping it's just the intermediate. I might try and swap it and warranty the bearing because I haven't seen slop in the RF axle. (banghead) I'm about ready to payroll deduct the shit out of some parts.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the intermediate shaft go by any other name? I've been searching like crazy to find this part in my works database and no one lists it as the intermediate axle shaft. I did toss in both rear LCA's today and it's WAY more stable and wanders a lot less.

I ordered one from Amazon once - found another one at a junk yard that looked brand new (grabbed the front diff too 'just in case' :gr_grin: )

Try this: Omix ADA Axle Shaft

Bob

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit of drudgery, but it'd just about be worth pulling both hubs and swapping sides just to see if it changes.

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The picture of the intermediate shaft in the link TwoBobs listed isn't what ours looks like, but their description says it is. Maybe it's a "stock" image. So.....:shrug:
I got mine off ebay, was a Dana/Spicer brand for right around $100. I don't see them out there in ebayland now, the only ones I see listed are Crown.
They go by different names btw; intermediate shaft, mid shaft, stub axle...
Here's a Dana (#84270) shaft for $125: AXD84270
And one for $110. Although they don't say the brand, it has the right part #: https://www.automotivepartsunlimited.com/shop/intermediate-shaft-3/

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The picture of the intermediate shaft in the link TwoBobs listed isn't what ours looks like, but their description says it is. Maybe it's a "stock" image. So.....:shrug:

You're right, Cactus, that image isn't of the actual part. Hate when suppliers do that.

The actual part I received was the correct one, however. :waytogo:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely not. I rotate religiously (3,000 miles) every oil change. Tire noise is definitely not a part of the issue because it's minimal at best with the experience I've had with these tires. The noise does increase when turning left, telling me it's on the right. Funny how it doesn't make much, if any noise up until 45 MPH. After that if I hit a left turn it will reveal itself then go away when straight or right turns. I mean, unless I got a defective bearing (I hope not because I do a ton of business with Parts Plus here) I'm hoping it's just the intermediate. I might try and swap it and warranty the bearing because I haven't seen slop in the RF axle. (banghead) I'm about ready to payroll deduct the shit out of some parts.

Was at the parts store the other day ( buying wax so you know where I was) and customer was complaining about having had the 4th wheel bearing go out on his KK, ****zone employee of course blamed him for not installing correctly. Does the noise change any when going around curves
If not then more than likely its the Intermediate shaft

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roar...

I see you replaced both front bearing hub units. Did you use a brand name unit such as Timken or SKF? Cheaper bearing units are often sourced from China or another emerging market. Having worked in bearing manufacture for over 40 years, I will not use Chinese sourced bearings. Yes, I traveled in China and worked in bearing plants there. Their problem is lack of consistency. You might get good product from China 98% of the time but the 2% bites you. My point is don't rule out a bad front bearing if it didn't come from a known high quality manufacturer. The problem you describe sounds like it could be bearing related.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was at the parts store the other day ( buying wax so you know where I was) and customer was complaining about having had the 4th wheel bearing go out on his KK, ****zone employee of course blamed him for not installing correctly. Does the noise change any when going around curves
If not then more than likely its the Intermediate shaft

Yes, noise changes when going left, leading me to the RF. Still haven't had a chance to get it back in the air since works been stupid busy. My supplier will warranty the bearing so we'll try that first, if not we're going with the intermediate.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see you replaced both front bearing hub units. Did you use a brand name unit such as Timken or SKF? Cheaper bearing units are often sourced from China or another emerging market. Having worked in bearing manufacture for over 40 years, I will not use Chinese sourced bearings. Yes, I traveled in China and worked in bearing plants there. Their problem is lack of consistency. You might get good product from China 98% of the time but the 2% bites you. My point is don't rule out a bad front bearing if it didn't come from a known high quality manufacturer. The problem you describe sounds like it could be bearing related.

RF bearing will be getting done under warranty soon. Just need the extra time at work when we aren't busy. Have been rolling with precision bearings on both sides with good luck with them in all my other vehicles, this has been the only bad apple so far. :thumbsdown:

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe though that you could replace bearings for the noise and have the noise continue with a new even possibly bad bearing. You would think it would at least change the noise. I am betting it isn't the bearing.

Latest posts

Members online