Cannot get howl from RF to go away.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise increases audibly when going left, swinging the vehicle left and right when traveling down a smooth paved road causes that to happen hence the increase when going left... Noise is most prominent at 45 MPH. It is the typical growling type noise you'd expect to hear, I just didn't really want to believe myself. I did get a chance to go up under the damn thing and the back side of the hub assembly you can visibly see grease outside of it. CV boots are not torn on either side and the RF outer axle seal was replaced less than a month ago.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE.......

Replaced the RF bearing once again (Luckily no cost to me.. Warranty) and howl is still being maintained. On to the intermediate shaft. A couple guys told me the diff needs to be rebuilt but I can't totally justify that. Gonna give the Mopar dealer a call tomorrow at work and see if I can't get a hold of a factory axle shaft for that damn D30A. yupnope.gif

One question though, why is it so damn hard to find that inner axle shaft on the right side of the axle? I called a couple parts stores and all I got was "Huh never heard of that" or "All I show is the CV" type of answers. :blah:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE.......

Replaced the RF bearing once again (Luckily no cost to me.. Warranty) and howl is still being maintained. On to the intermediate shaft. A couple guys told me the diff needs to be rebuilt but I can't totally justify that. Gonna give the Mopar dealer a call tomorrow at work and see if I can't get a hold of a factory axle shaft for that damn D30A. yupnope.gif

One question though, why is it so damn hard to find that inner axle shaft on the right side of the axle? I called a couple parts stores and all I got was "Huh never heard of that" or "All I show is the CV" type of answers. :blah:

Hard to find?
They are all over the place, even fleabay
Autozone and those don't count as parts stores if looking there

took 2 minutes while watching fast and Furious 6 to find one
Crown 5066057AB axle shaft

or three of them laying down in my garage LOL

Last edited:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to find?
They are all over the place, even fleabay
Autozone and those don't count as parts stores if looking there

I see them online but I'm impatient :icon_lol: Please trust me I will NEVER go to autozone...... I only got a chance to call oh reallys and the guys at the Saginaw, MI location aren't exactly the smartest set of dudes I've ever talked to.... No offense to them they just don't seem to have the experience. :shrug: I know the dudes at Garber Chrysler pretty decently now and they treat me well, if they can't get my parts it's on to the internet since I wont have much choice. If I end up needing to get a CV I have Napa less than a mile from work so shouldn't be an issue.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took 2 minutes while watching fast and Furious 7 to find one
Crown 5066057AB axle shaft

or three of them laying down in my garage LOL

Seen that crown shaft... If Mopars is way over the top on price I might go get that one, unless Tom you have a smokin' hot deal on a good one :gr_grin:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On 11/6, post #14, I gave you 2 sources for a Dana/Spicer shaft. Had you ordered it last week, you might have already received it by now. :happy175:

Ok, yea I'll acknowledge that... Blame me for being stubborn (deadhorse) I just REALLY did not want to believe I'd be replacing that axle shaft. I've literally been putting money into this thing aside from regular maintenance at least twice or more so a month... Damn it. :Insane: Hopefully I can get away with doing this and being done for a while..

Just to list off a few things I've done in the short 4 months I've had this thing..
  • LF upper control arm
  • Both outer tie rods
  • LF inner tie rod
  • Both front wheel bearings
  • Rear upper control arm
  • Both rear lower control arms
  • Tires
  • Plugs
  • All 6 coils
  • Aligned twice
  • Gonna be aligned for the third time since I'm a picky bastard
  • RF axle seal

There will be PLENTY more to come. I need a beer.... Or six. :party52:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the pity party guys, I've been ******* and moaning about this all week. :Rant:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the pity party guys, I've been ******* and moaning about this all week. :Rant:

Well if like most women if its been a week, a few more days and you'll be good for a while:shrug:

oh wait you're not............:happy175::happy175::happy175:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if like most women if its been a week, a few more days and you'll be good for a while:shrug:

oh wait you're not............:happy175::happy175::happy175:

Well owning a Jeep has so far felt like the equivalent to that monthly reminder of.... :icon_lol:

Kick.gif

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:blah:So... Got a factory Dana-Spicer axle on the way straight outta Tennessee. Should see it Tuesday/Wednesday, will update once it gets in and installed

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my axle is here. I may need the puller/slide hammer tool. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to get a hold of it? I'm not saying I'll need it but you never know....

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my axle is here. I may need the puller/slide hammer tool. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to get a hold of it? I'm not saying I'll need it but you never know....

Borrow one for free at autozone/advanced auto/oreilys

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

What do you need that for ?
have never needed one in all that I've done before

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you need that for ?
have never needed one in all that I've done before

Well, I found the part number it's 8420A and is a Miller OE specialty tool. I've got a guy that said he can do it for me but is telling me he needs the puller....... :shrug: I'm at a bit of a loss here.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grab the axle with a channel locks or vice-grips, and pry between the pliers and axle housing with a large screwdriver or pry bar to pop it out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I found the part number it's 8420A and is a Miller OE specialty tool. I've got a guy that said he can do it for me but is telling me he needs the puller....... :shrug: I'm at a bit of a loss here.

I've changed at least a dozen or more on KJs and never once needed a puller
maybe he's never done one before and over thinking the whole process
Very easy to swap
Do you have a new CV to install as well if the old ones splines are bad??

Plus a lot of times if they are bad or rusted some they pull right out with the CV