P0305 Cylinder #5 Missfire Cannot Remedy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goommer

Reaction score
I've got a 2002 3.7L Liberty that keeps throwing a P0305 (Cylinder 5 misfire) code. I've been trying to remedy this for a month. The following, are the steps I've taken to try and remedy this problem. Steps shown are in order.
1. Swapped Spark Plug coil with another No Change If it were the coil, I'd think it would have followed to the swapped cylinder.
2. Checked vacuum steady 16psi No erratic needle movements.
3. Changed Spark Plugs No change. Pulled the plugs 5 looked wetter than the rest
4. Checked to see if Injectors were getting signals to fire they were, No Change.
5. Replaced Injectors No Change.
6. Replaced Lifters. No change.
Could it be the PCM? As I said, the Injector and Spark Plug Coil are getting signals.
I haven't checked compression with a Gauge (I don't have one) but I did shove a rubber cork in the spark plug hole, and it blew it right out FORCIBLY! S I think it's getting enough compression to fire.
WHAT AM I MISSING?! I'm just about to pull my hair out. HELP!
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

dtennes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going through a 2003 3.7L overhaul, and I am plagued by a cyl 4 misfire. Ping me directly through this forum and we can start a dialogue about experience to date.

Meanwhile use your scanner to review "Freeze Frame" info (state of the vehicle when the MIL triggered) and record it all. Use the scanner to reset the ECU, set your trip odo to 0.0. Drive until the MIL p;ops again, repeat logging and reset activities. Do that 3-4 times so you have a point of reference regarding the consistent state of the engine at MIL trigger. Then you can start narrowing the root cause.