Bump stops thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jggv98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if I use HD or Medium Duty OME Coil Springs and Shocks (with NO Spacers and/or Strut Plates like Frankenlift), i will also need Front and Rear Bumpstops for sure?

The Stock Bumpstops would not work?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so if I use HD or Medium Duty OME Coil Springs and Shocks (with NO Spacers and/or Strut Plates like Frankenlift), i will also need Front and Rear Bumpstops for sure?

The Stock Bumpstops would not work?

Little lift education, you lift a vehicle say 3 inches it raises the frame/body 3 inches higher OK now at stock heighth you had 7 inches ( just using that as an example) of travel before it hit the bumpstops, NOW you have raised it 3 inches so now the suspension has 10 inches of travel before it hits the STOCK bumpstop, in that time you have compressed the spring to the point that each coil is laying on the coil below it, this is called stacking, when stacking happens it causes the coil to lose some of its strenghth and over a period of time will kill the spring basically. So its always been a general rule of thumb, for each 1 inch of lift you need 1 inch more bumpstop

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some poeple might say this is counterproductive because you're limiting yourself to stock amout of travel by doing so, but it's not. The idea behind lifting the vehicle is to allow fitment of larger tires, which equals more ground clearance.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
assuming that I am an idiot I decided to go to a very well known and trusted name in Jeep suspension
and a simple quick search gave the answer
take it for what you want
3.5" of lift ,according to "the people who know", should require 3.5" of bump stop
and 2" of bump stop is not enough for this lift
just like my lift that is a full 1.5" shorter should have 2" of bump stop not 0"
or my 3" should have more than 1.5" rear and 1" front
I mean heck I dont know squat right?
look here
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/TJ/ShortArm/Product.aspx?part=RE7002

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
man this never ends........
I give up
sometimes its like trying to teach an old **** hound how to sing rock songs
some will never get it after 10,000 posts of the same thing

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OH and looking at a Wrangler suspension is WAY different than looking at what works for the Liberty. The whole set up of a Wrangler is different, SFA instead of IFS allows more suspension travel so NO YOU DO NOT NEED AS MUCH BUMPSTOP,BUT YOU DO NEED SOME MORE BUMPSTOP THAN STOCK ! come on man stop comparing apples and sweet potatoes. 30 plus years of building stuff that performed great on and off road and it comes down to discussing something that needs no discussion, dang

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK I just got a PM from someone :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: posting on here on this topic and they reminded me that I know nothing at all about suspension systems :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

so its been fun being on here but he must own the site now:^o:^o:^o:^o

sad2.gifsad2.gifsad2.gifsad2.gifsad2.gifsad2.gifsad2.gifsad2.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom is right,for every inch of lift you should add 1" extra bumbstop.This a general rule of thumb and there is exceptions to it,but is generally accepted as the correct way.The lift that was linked to was "budget lift",a budget lift does not have all that is required and they do the bare min to keep the price down,hence the term "budget".

When I do my SFA swap I will be adding massively long bumbstop F/R since I need to limit those 35" tires uptravel,and I'll most likely have to add limit starps to keep the down travel in check also.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I understand why my stock front struts are failing, I need extended bumpstops.

I have a Rough Country spacer lift which means I have a 2.5" steel spacer on top of the front struts and a poly spacer under the rear coils & new rear shocks.
Should I replace the bumpstops above my rear coils?

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I understand why my stock front struts are failing, I need extended bumpstops.

I have a Rough Country spacer lift which means I have a 2.5" steel spacer on top of the front struts and a poly spacer under the rear coils & new rear shocks.
Should I replace the bumpstops above my rear coils?

it would be best, you can use hockey pucks though, that makes it nice and cheap, if you need some I have some, just pay shipping

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly I won't be getting my lift. Life happened.

My girlfriend got laid off and consequently my income tax will be going to pay the bills.