Rear bump stops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve installed OME Lift springs 2948 in the rear with N132L shocks and two hockey pucks for bumps. But now the distance from lower bump stops to upper one is just over an inch, so anytime a load is put in the trunk the two bump stops come in contact. Basically i only have just over an inch of upward travel. That doesn’t seems right to me. So i wanted to see what everyone else space between bump stops looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_6216.jpeg
    IMG_6216.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6217.jpeg
    IMG_6217.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 37

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much lift did you get? If you have 2 inches of hockey puck, with 2 inches of lift, the squish distance should be the same as before.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much lift did you get? If you have 2 inches of hockey puck, with 2 inches of lift, the squish distance should be the same as before.
I can’t remember the stock ride height, I believe it was 19” and I’m currently sitting at 21.5” so 2.5” of lift. Unfortunately I don’t remember the squish distance i had when it was stock but it would seem it should be bigger then an inch.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if your upper bump stops are extra long? Also, looks like that tag in the spring doesn't say 2948, are you sure you got the right springs?

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if your upper bump stops are extra long? Also, looks like that tag in the spring doesn't say 2948, are you sure you got the right springs?
Thats just a wrong side of the tag, it says 2948 on the other side. I don’t imagine upper bump stop being extra long as i got it as a direct replacement, but i guess anything is possible. I’m really wondering if I should just take out one of the pucks from the bottom or am I risking blowing the shocks.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Years ago I put a rancho springs and shocks lift on my CJ-7 and didn't know the bumpstops needed to be raised. Noticed the lower shock mount was dangling from the shock. The welds to the differential had broken. It didn't have bad rust or welds. It just bottomed out hard leaving the airport after picking up a girlfriend and a LOT of luggage. Everything fit inside the CJ-7 cube but she had to shift because luggage blocked me from the shift lever.

I haven't lifted my KJ... yet, but maybe switching to a round-topped carriage bolt would gain a little travel. Cutting a bevel around the hole on the bottom of the upper bumpstop might give the same clearance.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the left rear on mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the left rear on mine.
You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks for this picture, looking at your upper bump stop it makes me think i do have a longer one. It looks like i have 3 “coils” sticking out where you have two.

Attachments

• IMG_6214.jpeg
    IMG_6214.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 18

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this picture, looking at your upper bump stop it makes me think i do have a longer one. It looks like i have 3 “coils” sticking out where you have two.
So far as I know it’s original stock. It’s what came with the Jeep when I bought it two years ago.