Black out???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dixie

Reaction score
Hey guys, me again with another question about cosmetic mods.
Has anyone ever completely blacked out their kj? I have a 2005 limited, I already plan on plasti dipping my rims, grill, and i'll be getting black lug nuts.

I was just curious about blacking the chrome logos and sides. I once watched my friend try to do it to his grand cherokee and it didn't turn out great, so that is why I am hesitant. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Pre-lift picture just for reference

Attachments

• Snapchat-1430417192254921885.jpg
    Snapchat-1430417192254921885.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 39

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did your friend do it that it didn't work out? The logos could be taken off. I've removed mine and also plan on painting the wheels black. As far as the other chrome on your kj, you could strip the chrome off and then paint, easy off works, or so I hear, but most just sand it slightly to scratch it up a bit then bedline it or plasti-dip it. Post pictures once you are done. Here's mine de-badged.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bert

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Many have done it over the years
as far as the emblems go , like mentioned you can just remove them, first thing I do to any of the vehicles I buy
Personally its another one of those things that has been way over done over the last few years
but if you like it, not hard to do

Dixie

Reaction score
Could one of you give me instruction on how to take them off? or atleast point me in the right direction

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Could one of you give me instruction on how to take them off? or atleast point me in the right direction

Nice warm day slide some fishing line under and slice them off
or just pull them off
if not a warm day heating them with a hair dryer is enough to remove the lettering
Then some glue be gone , WD-40 etc can be used to remove the glue
wax and buff out and done
Even my 03s came off last year really easy

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, me again with another question about cosmetic mods.
Has anyone ever completely blacked out their kj? I have a 2005 limited, I already plan on plasti dipping my rims, grill, and i'll be getting black lug nuts.

I was just curious about blacking the chrome logos and sides. I once watched my friend try to do it to his grand cherokee and it didn't turn out great, so that is why I am hesitant. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Pre-lift picture just for reference

On my old Pontiac I blacked all of the emblems on it with Plasti Dip
It lasted years and never faded
I have my wheels Plasti Dipped currently until I get my new wheels
If you apply it right it'll last, but if you just want to de-badge the whole KJ then the above info will help you do so

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Debadge my 02 last year no problem did it by hand on a hot day. Rubbed the glue off with my thumb. I personally dont like plasti dip. I have seen far too many people do it. Then have speckles of chrome from rocks and debris hitting them got old quick. Painting your rims is not much harder than plasti dip. They sell black emblems if you want to keep it badged. Same with the grill paint it.

Dixie

Reaction score
I want to keep the logos on, I just want to make paint them black. Sorry for the confusion

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the main factor is using good quality materials and proper prep. I think a completely blacked out KJ would look good. Its like when people go for a cheap matte black paint or dip job and it comes out looking bad.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
On my old Pontiac I blacked all of the emblems on it with Plasti Dip
It lasted years and never faded
I have my wheels Plasti Dipped currently until I get my new wheels
If you apply it right it'll last, but if you just want to de-badge the whole KJ then the above info will help you do so
Yep, same here.

For me, the big attraction to Plasti Dip was that you could always yank it off if you changed your mind. Mine has been on there for two years now and still looks fine, badges and wheels.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, same here.

For me, the big attraction to Plasti Dip was that you could always yank it off if you changed your mind. Mine has been on there for two years now and still looks fine, badges and wheels.

I guess if you do it right it could look good. I have only seen people half ass it and it looks horrible.

drewwenmoth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill post pics after work today, but i blacked out all my badges with plastidip, bedlined all the flares, bumpers, and side molding, and smoked my turns and tails (added super bright led bulbs though to make up the difference). Not super hard, although i did it in steps. Pics around 3p when i get off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dixie

Reaction score
Thank you so much

Ill post pics after work today, but i blacked out all my badges with plastidip, bedlined all the flares, bumpers, and side molding, and smoked my turns and tails (added super bright led bulbs though to make up the difference). Not super hard, although i did it in steps. Pics around 3p when i get off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've worked with Plasti Dip for a couple years now and love the product
I've found that as long as you have the Plasti Dip as your base coat (still 4-5 coats) then you can put any paint on top and it'll still peel off (i.e. clear coat)
I did it to my antenna when I shortened it and blacked it out
I spray 3 lighter coats from different angles each time and then on the 4 and 5 coat I go heavy, really focusing on the crevices, then one or two more coats very heavy but not to where it drips and looks bad
For my wheels it only took me 1-1/2 cans to do all 4 (still need to take the spare off and do it but I have a cover for now)
I left the wheels on and sprayed over the lugs and everything, just masked the rotor and caliper with bags
I like to spray tire shine all over them to give them a nice clean look since matte black doesn't like to stay clean

Also, if you want to have black emblems then I'd definitely use the Dip
As long as you clean the surface, mask off ~1" border all the way around the logo and apply correctly it'll last for a long time
I was debating doing all of the plastic with it but I recently used Wipe New on it all and they look great (would still look better black)

It's just like anything else, about 90% of the job is prep work
If you do your prep right and take your time with everything then you shouldn't be hesitant to do it

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
They sell a glossifier. I have never used it.

[YT]6K3mH0w9kR8[/YT]

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you get a glossy finish with Plasti-dip?

Their glossifier doesn't give it much gloss at all
It's worthless if you're trying to get a nice looking clear coat
Like I stated in my last post, as long as you have the Plasti Dip as the base coat you can put any paint on top
I put Duplicolor clear coat on top of black Dip for my antenna and its glossy as can be
And if I don't like it later, I can peel it right off

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Never would've thought of doing that. I might go that route for my wheels.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never would've thought of doing that. I might go that route for my wheels.

Me either, but I messed up and grabbed the antenna when I thought it was all dry and smeared it
I let it finish drying, lifted a little piece up and peeled it all off to do it again
The end result looks great, very glossy finish (you can see your reflection)
I'd do it all over again, and would definitely do it on my wheels !
But, in a couple months I'll be getting new tires/wheels so I'll just keep applying tire shine until then